International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Vendor Catalogs
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Vendor Catalogs Browse & Buy from our Member Vendors

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 74

Default "Custom Made" penturning tools/accessories

I want to THANK YOU for looking at my products, they're all made by me in my one man shop. All of these tools came about by my having a need for a custom tool and then making it for myself. I use these products every day and if they didn't work flawlessly I wouldn't offer them to you.

I don't have a website so if you want to place an order or if you have a question, PM me and we'll have a chat.

I also make "one off" tools so if you have an idea or a need for a "special" tool, give me a holler and we'll see what we can do.

FREE SHIPPING on all DOMESTIC orders!

NEW PRODUCT !!!

OFFSET LATHE SANDING JIG
004.jpg

This tool, along with three other tools that you most likely already have, allows you to turn your lathe into a 5" disc sander.

We've all sanded on our lathe like this.....
a001.jpg

The problem with this method is you only use the center of the paper and it still really doesn't work that well.

This tool allows you to OFFSET the blank, which allows you to use the WHOLE disc.
a002.jpg

It has 3 different positions that allow you to move to a new spot whenever you want. The V-groove holds a transfer punch and the handle tightens everything down. To use it you just hold even downward pressure on the blank and push it into the disc...REAL simple!

If you don't want to use transfer punches you can put a regular pen mandrel in it and use your tube sleeves to take up the slack.

You can even use my Sanding Mill if you already have one of those.

The blank in these photos is 7/8" which is about as big as we use and you can see it fits nicely within the 5" sanding disc.

002.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

You'll get the jig and a 1/2" steel bar that fits in your tailstock drill chuck. The steel bar has a flat spot milled in it which allows you to tighten the set screw securely.

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

The other three things you'll need are a disc, a set of transfer punches and a 1/2" drill chuck. If you purchased your lathe new it most likely came with a FACE PLATE which you can turn into the sanding disc, if not you can buy them just about anywhere for very little.

I DON'T SELL THESE THREE THINGS....YOU NEED TO PURCHASE THEM ELSEWHERE!

007.jpg

I made my disc out of shelving material that has Formica on it. I needed the Formica because I use "sticky" discs, if you want to use the "hook and loop" discs you can make your disc from anything you can put some Velcro on.

Another option is to buy a spindle tap and make your own faceplates out of wood, Beall sells the taps in just about every spindle thread size. Other advantages to this method is it's inexpensive and you can make ALOT of different jigs and chucks for different projects.

I made this tool because Mike (mikespenturningz) asked me if I could figure out a way to use the whole sanding disc and this is what I came up with. You can read what Mike has to say about it here..... Blank square jig tutorial

I'm asking $40-SHIPPED for it, considering the amount of time it takes to make one I think that's a fair price.

PM me and I'll give you my Pay Pal address.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

WAIT...LOOK AT THIS!

One of our fellow members, Mack Cameron (Mack C.) emailed me and asked if I could make an adapter that would fit the morse taper part of a standard pen mandrel. It sounded like a good idea so I made one to see if it would work...AND IT DOES!

This is what I came up with...
aaa.JPG

bbb.JPG

ccc.JPG

What this does is eliminate the need for a drill chuck, so if you don't have a drill chuck then this might be just the ticket!

It has 1/4"-28 threads on it and the other end fits in the jig like the regular 1/2" rod does. It DOES NOT include the morse taper part, just the threaded rod and the washer.

Here's a link to the one from Bear Tooth Woods...Bear Tooth Woods - Precision MT#2 Driver

If you want this adapter INSTEAD of the regular 1/2" rod just let me know and there will be no extra charge.

If you want this adapter PLUS the regular rod add $5 to the price of the jig.

TOOL RESTS

Ever since I made one of these for George(Texatdurango), and he mentioned it here.... need a replacement tool rest - International Association of Penturners ,
I've had several requests from IAP members to make them one. I"ve decided that there's a need for them, especially since the smallest one's that the big suppliers sell are 4'' long. If you turn pens one barrel at a time then you know what I mean.
These are made from precision ground tool steel, the shiney stuff, so your turning tools will just glide over the surface.

These are VERY high quality, anybody that's familiar with my products knows that. They all come with a money back guarantee. If FOR ANY REASON you're not happy with it, send it back and I'll return your money, plus shipping, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

They all come with a brass trim ring and have flats ground in them so you can get a wrench on them. This makes for a "modular" system, if you wish you can buy several different length rests and interchange them on the same post.

Post prices are.......

5/8" and smaller...$25

25mm and 1"...$35

We need to talk if you want a post larger than 1".

NOTICE: If you order a 1" post... PLEASE CHECK THE DIAMETER WITH CALIPERS! Some posts are 25mm which is REAL close, but a 1" post won't fit a 25mm banjo.

Rests, ANY LENGTH, will be $10ea. if ordered at the same time as a post.
If ordered later add $5 shipping

PLEASE NOTE: If any rest is OVER 9" add an extra $5 for shipping.

As you can see from the prices, this is not some get rich scheme. I'm doing this as a service to my fellow IAP members and frankly, it will give me something to do!!

I encourage you, before you order, to go out to your lathe and be sure of the length you want. I personally like 3.25". George wanted his 2.75". That's the beauty of this, it's not a "one size fits all" deal.

Besides the lengths of the rests you want, I'll need two measurements from you... the TOTAL height (post plus rest, just measure your factory rest from TOP to BOTTOM), and the diameter of the post.

I take PayPal and personal checks. PM me and I'll send you my PayPal address.

THANK YOU!!!

FLAT TOP TOOL RESTS

I had a customer request one of these to use with his carbide turning tool and he liked it so much I decided to add it to my inventory.

I don't have a carbide tool...YET!...but I'm told the flat top rest works well with the flat bottom of the tool, giving you more control.

I designed them to fit my standard tool posts so if you have one of mine then these will fit, the only difference is the diameter.

Since the threaded hole in my standard round tool rest is only .125" from the surface I made these "flat" ones .125" bigger. If you have a 5/8" round post then you need to order a 3/4" "flat top" rest, if you have a 1" or 25mm post you'll need to order a 7/8" "flat top" rest.

Since I remove .125" of material to form the flat, THE HEIGHT WILL REMAIN THE SAME, it will just be a tad wider which isn't a problem.

The price for the 3/4" flat top rest is $20.

The price for the 7/8" flat top rest is $25.

I can make them as short as you want but the MAXIMUM length is 8", until I get a bigger milling machine!

As with all my stuff, DOMESTIC SHIPPING IS FREE!

PM me and I'll give you my PayPal address.

THANK YOU

TOOLPOST STOP COLLARS
These STOP COLLARS are designed to keep your toolpost at the same height EVERY TIME you use it, no more fumbling around to get it set at the right height, with these you just set it and forget it!
SC1.JPG

SC2.JPG

They're made from aluminum and have 3 NYLON set screws, the nylon screw won't ding up your post like a standard steel one will.

They hold tight and use a small slotted screwdriver so no Allen wrench is needed.

I can make them ANY size you want but I'm going to stock 5/8"and 1", those are by far the most common.

PLEASE check the diameter of your post with calipers before ordering.

If you order just ONE the price is $13-SHIPPED, if you order more than one OR get one as part of a larger order the price is $10.

The price is the same no matter what size you order.

PM me with your order.....THANKS!

SHOPSMITH TOOLPOSTS

Now all of you ShopSmith owners can use any of my custom rests when you
purchase one of these slick new posts...

This shows it with one of my Flat Top rests attached...NOT INCLUDED.

ABC.JPG

Here it is by itself...

CBA.JPG

You'll get the post and the brass trim ring for only $35, ANY SIZE... that's a STEAL considering how much machining is involved!

PM me with your order and I'll give you my PayPal address.

THANK YOU

Dial Indicator Posts
and Adapters

In my opinion, everyone who owns a lathe needs a dial indicator. They're invaluable for making sure WHATEVER you have chucked in your lathe is running true. Probably the most common use for penturners is to check the runout on a pen mandrel...

Another one I use alot is checking the runout on a pin chuck...

WHATEVER you turn will benefit from making sure that it's "running true".
With that in mind I designed an economical way to attach a dial indicator to one of my "Custom Tool Rests"...

This shows the two most common sizes, the one on the left has 1/2" threads and fits a 1" post, the one on the right has 3/8" threads and fits on a 5/8" post.

Here it is with the DI installed but before it gets screwed onto the post...

Here it is screwed onto my 1" post...

All I need from you is the thread size of your post. The cap screw is INCLUDED and takes a 3/16" allen wrench.
As with all my custom made tools, these are economically priced to be affordable to everyone... $13-SHIPPED!
If you order one as part of a larger order I'll knock off $3, that's ONLY $10!!!

For those of you that don't have one of my tool rests or for those that would like a DEDICATED DI holder( which I highly recommend) I designed this...

I can make them any size, just measure the diameter of you factory rest. I'll also need the distance from the TOP of your banjo to the CENTERLINE of your lathe.

Here's a photo of the measurement I need....just a hair under 4" on my lathe.
For all of you uneducated out there, "hair" is a technical term for 1/32".

As you can see in the photo, these are made from aluminum and have a "stop" on them. That stop enables you to SET IT AND FORGET IT! Every time you grab it it will be set to the correct height, that's a real nice feature. I need that banjo/centerline dimension to make sure the "stop" is in the right position. It has about 1/2" of adjustment in it so when you get it you just set it once and...FORGET IT!

The stop is milled to the radius of the post to make it more functional and to give it a "cleaner" look.

All the screws are included, you'll need a 3/16" allen wrench for the DI and a 9/64" for the stop.

The dial indicator is NOT provided, that's something you will have to buy yourself.

I recommend a standard AGD GROUP 2 DI with a 2 1/4" dial and 1" of travel.

Here's a link to a good supplier and a CHEAP price!
0-1" Precision Dial Indicator $7.99

Here's one at Amazon Amazon.com: Dial Indicator, 1" x 0.001": Home Improvement

The price is only $23-SHIPPED! If you order one as part of a larger order I'll reduce the price by $3, that's ONLY $20, you can't beat that with a stick!!!

I accept Pay Pal and personal checks.

I don't have a website so please PM me with your order.
THANK YOU

PIN CHUCKS

These pin chucks are custom made for any size pen you want to make, most folks use them to make “closed end” pens but they can be used for ANYTHING with a hole in it that you want to turn on a lathe.
They're made from the same tool steel as my TOOL RESTS and will last forever....IF you take reasonable care of them!
They are approx. 4” long and have a 1/8” pin that fits in an 5/8” long slot. The turned down part that fits inside the tube is about 1/2” longer than the tube so you have some room to work on the end of your blank.
The little “dimple” you see is a reference mark so when you're done and want to remove the blank, you turn the chuck so the dimple is on top, that way the pin won't fall on the floor and roll under something........can you say ...” Murphy's Law”?

Depending on which kit you want it made for the part that fits in your lathe chuck will differ. If you use a four jaw chuck it won't matter but... IF YOU PLAN ON USING A COLLET CHUCK..let me know and I'll make them fit whatever size collets you have.

After making quite a few I've found that I can make any pin chuck for a pen using just four sizes of stock....1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8". These are common collet sizes so there shouldn't be a problem.

I have a lot of different pen kits in stock but I don't have them all. If you want a pin chuck to fit something I don't have I'll either order that size tube OR you can send me the tubes and I'll return them with your order.
Measuring the I.D. of tubes with calipers is fine for some applications but not for this, I like to have the tubes I'm fitting on hand so I can insure a perfect fit.

This is the pin chuck mounted in a collet chuck, ready to accept a blank.

This shows a sample that I turned down to a pen cap shape....works like a charm!

These little guys are only$17 ea. , no matter what size you want!
PM me and I'll give you my PayPal address.

THANK YOU

Directions for operating a Pin Chuck

Mount it in a chuck of some kind and turn it so the flat spot is facing up. Position the pin in the CENTER of the flat spot and while holding it with one finger, slide your blank onto the chuck. Now rotate the LATHE 90 degrees AWAY from you and give the whole thing a little “tap” so the pin will slide down all the way. Now rotate the BLANK clockwise until you feel it stop, don't turn it TOO hard, just snug it up.

That's all there is to it.......HAPPY TURNING!

SANDING MILL 2.0

I have offered the older version of this tool for several years and have sold ALOT of them. If you want to read the comments by satisfied customers you can go here........
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42098

This is my new version of an old tool....

I had some requests for a sanding mill that had TWO flat and true sides so folks could use the short side for smaller stuff.

I also wanted a simpler way to make them.......

The old way with wood, brass and glue took WAY too long to make, consequently I had to charge what I thought was a little too much. With this new design not only will you be getting a better product, you'll be paying LESS for it! How often does that happen?!

THIS TOOL DOES THE SAME JOB AS THE OLDER MODEL SO IF YOU ALREADY HAVE THE OLDER VERSION YOU DON'T NEED THIS ONE.
(Unless of course you really want one!)

I have also eliminated the sandpaper punch, instead you will get approx. 25 pre-punched discs, enough for about 100 pens. If you run out, just buy some sticky sandpaper and cut it into small squares, a regular notebook paper punch will punch a perfectly sized hole. The discs come packaged inside the little shipping case so don't PM me and say you didn't get any!
Here's a photo....

new sm.JPG

The price for the new model is ONLY $20!

This part shows my old style mill but the process is the same with the new one....

Here's a photo with one of my sleeves installed. The rod on the mill is the same size as your standard "A" penturners mandrel so you can make sleeves from a slimline tube if you like.
The one in the photo is made out of Delrin to fit a Sierra style pen tube...

Here it is with the Sierra barrel attached and ready to go...

I use mine at about 1,000 rpm and just push real lightly, it's really easy to use and you'll get the hang of it right away!

PLEASE note that this is a FINISHING tool. It's NOT meant to take the place of a regular pen mill or disc sander. This tool is meant to be used on already turned barrels and really excells at removing CA and squaring things up prior to assembly. You'll be amazed at how much better everything fits after using this tool.

PM me if you would like one and I'll get back to you with my PAY-PAL address. I will also accept checks.

THANK YOU!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW PRODUCT!!!

Straight Shank Dead Centers

I made one of these for Mike (navycop) who has a Shopsmith and he wanted to turn between centers with custom bushings. The Shopsmith doesn't have a Morse taper so he needed a center with NO taper that he could mount in his drill chuck.

Afterwards I got to thinking...I'll bet these would work great for those of us with Beall or other brands of collet chucks who are tired of removing the chuck so we can insert our Morse taper dead center into our headstock and turn between centers.
002.jpg
001.jpg

The one in the photo is 1/2" X 3" but I can make them ANY diameter and ANY length you want. They are STRAIGHT, i.e. NO TAPER, and have a standard 60 degree end. They're made from the same high quality tool steel as my Custom Tool Rests.

I harden them by heating the tip to a cherry red and quickly plunging it into cold water, I tried to turn one on my metal lathe AFTER it was hardened and I dulled my HSS cutter so I know it's hard enough for TBC. The photos show one right after hardening and then after it's been polished, you'll receive the polished variety!

I'm asking $12-SHIPPED each...ANY DIAMETER, ANY LENGTH.

PM me and we'll discuss your needs and I'll give you my PayPal address for payment.

THANK YOU!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sander1.jpg (69.7 KB, 8339 views)
File Type: jpg sanding mill punch.jpg (47.7 KB, 8289 views)

Last edited by rherrell; 06-28-2014 at 09:38 AM.
ABzar, anthonyd, Argo13, avbill, Band Saw Box, bassinhuntin, Benander, birddog, bitshird, bluwolf, bubbamorse, clowe, dankc908, Darley, Dave Mann, DK61, ed4copies, edstreet, Edward Cypher, elance, eliasbboy, eranox, Fboyles, Fireengines, glenspens, Greg5519, hcpens, James Meek, Jdeuel, jeweler53, Jim Smith, joeatact, johncrane, kenbu, kenmic, kingkeyman, kronewi, LandfillLumber, LeeR, Lenny, leodelion, Leviblue, Ligget, longbeard, lowjack69, Lucky2, Marko50, mikespenturningz, mlloy23, monty8867, nagrom, Notnate, ossaguy, PineyMountainMan, PWL, redbulldog, reddwil, reelwood, rickjake, rkimery, robutacion, Russknan, rvanceh, scotian12, Scrollsawer61, SDB777, seamus7227, SerenityWoodWorks, Silverado, southernclay, squidsct53, steve64_64, SteveG, Stroland43, swzzl, teamtexas, Teeball, terry q, Tortoise, triw51, wallegator, walshjp17, wizard, Woodlvr, wouldentu2?, WWAtty
rherrell is offline   Reply With Quote Top