Your personal abilty to sharpen your tools.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

How happy are you with your current sharpeing setup?

• Total control. I'm able to sharpen everything I have, well.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Somewhat in control, I have the sharpening tools but don't know if I'm using them correctly.

Votes: 61 34.9%
  • I'm slowly killing my tools, I'm able to cut, but know I'm not doing it as I should be.

Votes: 49 28.0%
  • I'm dead in the water. I'm pretty much at a standstill with dull tools.

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters

Skye

So, as of today, we're standing at about a third of the members being competent, third on shaky ground, a third throwing money and time out the window, and 4 stragglers who are totally lost. That's only one third in the clear, the rest need some help.

Any suggestions on what we can do about this? If you ask me, it's an absolutely critical aspect of turning. Separate sub-forum? Get someone to post some videos? Ideas?

gomeral

Any suggestions on what we can do about this? If you ask me, it's an absolutely critical aspect of turning. Separate sub-forum? Get someone to post some videos? Ideas?

I would support a sub-forum for discussion, and would love to see any videos on any methods. Somewhere I had a DVD on using the Tormek, but all I can find these days is the VHS (!) they shipped with it. I have a bunch of articles as PDFs, but with copyright issues, I don't think I can share them on the forum...:frown: I'll see what I have at home, and maybe I can provide links instead of PDFs.

daniel

rlharding

The new grizzly catalogue shows the german Tormeck knock off. I can't remember the price but do remember thinking it was very cheap. I have it under the german brand name. All the tormeck jigs fit it.

Art Fuldodger

It would be interesting to perform another poll, to see if the folks in need understand what they *desire* in sharpening. Obviously, being sharp - but to they understand the angles and curves desired for each different type of chisel?

I found that once I learned what was desirable, my efforts at learning were much more focused, and my skill improved quite quickly.

Top Bottom