Your Choice for Grinding Wheels - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Polls, Surveys, and Votes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Polls, Surveys, and Votes Find out what the penturners of the world really think!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 14

I use my Rikon slow speed grinder with wolverine jig and like it a lot. I do think it would be better if I came up with a leather strop to finish things off though

Thanks!

Mitch
wyone is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyone View Post
I use my Rikon slow speed grinder with wolverine jig and like it a lot. I do think it would be better if I came up with a leather strop to finish things off though
Grab an older faceplate that you don't use anymore, or make a special-purpose one just for this.

Take some 1" MDF and attach it to your faceplate. If you don't have 1" MDF, don't panic ... you can attach multiple pieces to make something wide enough for our purpose. Scrap wood will do nicely, of course.

You'll want something that is fairly large diameter, but not so much that it would scrape the lathe bed ... I have an 8" lathe, so I would make a 6" or 7" wheel. Size yours accordingly.

Once you've turned it nice and round, take an old genuine leather belt you don't need anymore and scrape the polish off of the leather. Do both sides, since you want it to stick very well ... cut one end at an angle (where it's nice and flat along the sides), and begin attaching it to the wheel you've made with epoxy.

Once you've got it all the way round, cut the other end to match as closely as you can, with the same angle as before, so that you have as flat a gap as possible. Take some spare rope and wind it around the wheel to keep the leather in place as the epoxy cures...

When cured, turn at medium speed starting with 220 sandpaper and working your way up to 1000 grit. You want a perfectly even surface and you want it fairly smooth in order to strop your blade edge.

You can use honing oil, just don't overdo it ... getting oil all over the place doesn't help you get a fine edge on your tools.

Make sure you always use the bottom of the wheel, where the leather is running away from you, and hold your tool upside-down to get that edge honed.

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 14

so you just use epoxy to glue the leather on? I was worried it would not be flexible enough and the leather movement would cause the epoxy to fail.

Thanks!

Mitch
wyone is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 7

The reason epoxy is preferred by many for gluing acrylic tubes is that it flexes more than CA.

Gorilla glue may also be a decent choice, but the old-fashioned choice would have been rubber cement.

While honing, there shouldn't be much movement in the leather ... it should just be a light touch and gentle passes on the edge of the blade. You aren't removing metal, you're polishing the edge.

The polished edge doesn't have as many jagged metal fragments sticking out of it, so it's stronger and will last longer.

Attendance is not mandatory, unless you're addicted to turning pens.
Skie_M is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 6

8" CBN 180 or 220 for sharpening

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Grinding wheels

I use Cubic boron nitride or CBN wheels. With the oneway jig system I can sharpen a roughing gouge in about a minute. These wheels aren't cheap, but they are well worth the money. I would recommend these wheels if you want to have sharp tools fast.

Thank You,

Roland Street
Roland Street is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I use the wolverine system with CBN wheels on a Rikon grinder. I use an old leather belt as a strop. I am very pleased with the system and can sharpen a roughing gouge in exactly 5 seconds. I would recommend this to anyone. In my opinion it is one of the best sharpening systems. The Robert Sorby system is much better, but it is expensive.
Roland Street is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I use 8" CBN wheels - 180 grit for grinding and 400 grit for sharpening/honing. I use the Craft Supply Raptor bushings (above) and the wheels are as true as can be (spin forever too!). I use the Wolverine system and it works well with the CBN wheels
I do have a Tormek also that I use mainly for spindle and bowl gouges.
Gordon

The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent. Is that like <<<<<ZIP IT<<<<<<
flyitfast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 74

I bought a pair of CBN wheels from Ken at CBN Wheels &ndash; Wood Turners Wonders and I can say it was one of the best purchases I've made re: woodturning. With these wheels and my Carter and Son tools I am a happy turner. No affiliation with either. Just a very happy customer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
www.RedRiverPens.com/articles (pen stuff I've written)
its_virgil is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 57

Another one for the CBN set up. Woodcut Truegrind #80 and #180 for grinding on the Abbott & Ashby 6" high speed grinder and #280 for the Tormek T-7.

I have no issues with the Tormek since I got the Woodcut Truegrind CBN for it. I reshape on the A&A and get the final edge on the Tormek.
Pat Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads