Votes: 233 22.8%
  • 50-59

Votes: 259 25.3%
  • 60 "and better"

Votes: 299 29.2%

• Total voters

leehljp

Member Liaison
I might as well join in - I'm close enough to 62 that I can smell it. Grew up on a farm where building barns, grain bins, flooring trailers, adding a room were a constant, so I have been around and involved in different aspects of woodworking since I can remember. Had an uncle that built houses and helped him some.

Did my first turning about 15 years ago - canister tops. That lasted 3 months and still have the work that I did. Lost interest in turning until I started pens in early '05.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W3DRM

68 and fast coming up on 69 next February...

Have been around wood and metal working tools since birth but never really got into anything serious until about a year ago when I discovered pen-turning. My dad had a very extensive wood/metal shop at home and I would now die to have some of those old lathes and wood tools he had. I'm just a neophyte in this endeavor but hope to make some nice pens and a few sheckles as I go along. It is very apparent there is a wealth of talent and knowledge on this forum and I just hope a little of it will rub off on me as I continue to learn. My shop consists of a 4-year old Shopsmith Mark V. I hope to add to that very soon.

Brian - don't ever let anyone take away your enthusiasm and passion for what you obviously love to do. Just keep moving forward and things will magically fall into place for you. Your faith will move mountains for you.

Merry Christmas to all!

Rick_G

61 with 62 coming up real fast end of the month. Took up woodworking when I retired at 55. (Company I worked for had a buyout and pension package I could not resist). Got my first lathe and pen making stuff just over a year ago. Now if I could just afford more toy..er .. tools.

Mr Vic

Just turned 26 last June. Don't think age is a factor since my 8 year old grandson does a fair job of turning a pen. Had to video it so he could show his school mates he wasn't fibbing...

td

Banned
Man, I knew that most pen guys were older, but are there really that few turners under 30 years old? Come on kids, quit your drinkin' and your girl chasin' and turn yourself some pens for goodness sakes. Don't you see that we are the future? Oh well...I guess that's that much less competition for me in the future! I think I'm in the right business :laugh:

Might I add "and gals"? I know we're in the minority here but there are probably more ladies than the "under 18" set!:beauty::highfive:

GouletPens

My apologies to you Terry, and all our other turner ladies! I tend to refer to a group of people as "guys" (most people where I live just say y'all!). How 'bout I just say folks!:rolleyes:

MikeInMo

33 for a few more weeks. I am not in the under 30 set anymore, but I am pretty sure I am pretty far to the left end of the age distribution bell curve around here.

Longfellow

How Old

Just turned 76. Started cutting wood in my fathers shop when I was seven. I loved building model airplanes. When I was discharged from the Army in 1954 I was hired as an apprentice modelmaker and that began a lifetime of loving my job. I also worked as a patternmaker, a display builder, and moldmaker. It has been a great trip.

hughbie

51 so far......and may i continue to get older and older and older.....at least till i outlive my friends....
only been in woodworking for the last 3 years......and i'm just the opposite of MikeinMO....i'm on the OTHER side of that bell curve!

skywizzard

57 - been working with wood most of my life, but never did any turning until recently when I started with pens. LOVE IT!

Pioneerpens

I'll be turning 50 in November. Been turning for about 7 years now. I was a form carpenter for many years, doing heavy highway, bridge, highrise concrete construction. Does a number on the back after awhile. Now I am a security officer by day and turn pens the rest of the time.

RetiredJake

My buddy always said he was older than dirt. His birthday is 3 days before mine. Guess that makes me 3 days older than dirt (66).

Started turning pens less than a year ago. Plan on ding it a whole lot longer

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I'm 45 so that makes me old enough to know better and young enough not to care. Unless it will hurt me and healing takes a lot longer.:rolleyes:

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me. I turned 72 today, the turn was slow but under control I just forgot where I was going. Had a great day with my wife of 50+ years at the amazing Indianapolis Museum of Art., I recommend it to anyone visiting or living in Indy.
WB

Rick P

Happy Birthday Wood Butcher!!!

I am from a wood working/construction family. My folks have pics of me dragin tools around for my father when I was still in diapers. Turning is relatively new to me but I have a BFA in sculpture and ceramics, mom paints among a billion other crafts. Making things is in my blood.

darrin1200

47 is my number. Semi retired after 26 years of service.

I have been working with wood for a lot of years, mostly renovation carpentry. Now I am back to doing the fun stuff in an effort to augment the pension. Small furniture and boxes. Since I started with pens a couple of years ago, they have become the bulk of my inventory.

The best part is that I love my job.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ren-lathe

I am 55 according to my wife going on 12. My father despite being stone blind was an accomplished woodworker and I worked with him in the shop as far back as I can remember. He bought me my first lathe when I was 14. I still have that lathe though it is semi retired. In the early years I was married did not turn a lot, but always did a few pieces every year. I honestly do not remember when I turned my first pen but it was more than a few years ago.

Top Bottom