What type pens do like to look at??? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Polls, Surveys, and Votes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Polls, Surveys, and Votes Find out what the penturners of the world really think!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

View Poll Results: What style of pens gets your WOW senses going?
Segmented of any kind 26 38.81%
Cast on tube of any kind 3 4.48%
Combination cast on and segmented 7 10.45%
Plain wood 15 22.39%
Plain acrylic 2 2.99%
Home made color cast 1 1.49%
Freestyle of any kind 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Default What type pens do like to look at???

Probably by the end of this month I should be finished with some projects so I hope to return to shop and work on some projects for my shows this winter. Included should be some pens. I am curious what the masses think here.

What type pens get your WOW factor jumping??? We see many different hand made pens shown here and many fabulous creators of them have shared them.

I am posting a poll and will show results last week in July. I am looking for general opinions and has nothing to do with type of kits or no kits used, how it was finished or not finished. Not what I am after. Basically blanks. one vote per person because there has to be one particular type that hits it out of the park. I realize all depends on the finished product most times but forget the finished product just the style. Do not mention names of past pens shown or artisans. You can comment if you choose and maybe make other suggestions in case I forgot a style. Maybe want to give a little detail about your selection such as segmenting--- use of woods, acrylics, metals or any combinations.

No right or wrong answers here just a fun survey. Maybe some good can come out of it. Have fun. Thanks for playing along.

I can not change the poll but thought of something. Laser or cnc created blanks. That can be another category separate from segmenting. If you choose this then specify it in a comment. Thanks again.

Last edited by jttheclockman; 07-08-2018 at 12:00 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-08-2018, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I have to say I'm a snob. I like to see pens where the craftsman/woman has made an effort to make the work there own. Anyone can slap a blank on a pen kit and turn it. Making your own blanks, kit-less pens etc, innovative approaches to design and construction. These are the things that turn me on.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 6

wood and acrylic/resin/alumulite combination

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 227

I don't care what style....it's all about attention to detail for me.
With regards to segmenting.....I like simple clean designs. Less is More...
( couldn't choose one so didn't vote )
Old 07-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

I am getting some poll numbers and thank you for this. I want to try to explain something. When I included the fact that I was going back into the shop to work on projects for my shows it meant nothing about making pens for sale. It was just a point that got me into thinking about pens again. I have been away from making pens or anything for that matter for some time. I come here now and then and always check out the pens for show and try to see the ones that do not make that forum and go right into someones's album if I catch the photo on home page.

Got me into thinking what does everyone like to look at when they look for new pens. There are basic styles as I mentioned that are put in general catagories. I agree with Skip and others about Craftsmanship but that can be applied to all styles of pens and it can show up. But maybe there is no straight answer to this or maybe I do not know how to ask the question. Certain pen styles gets me excited to see and that is segmenting and yes segmenting and combining casting. I like looking at free style pens and they are always interesting but you do not see enough of them here to get worked up about. I like looking at wood and acrylic pens but to me there is no real thought or craftsmanship in them. But that is me and my example and everyone is different so that is the reason for the poll. Does this make everyone go out and now create certain styles of pens, of course not. But hopefully it gives people an idea if you want to make that special WOW pen you have an idea what other pen turners like to look for.

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Polymer Clay always gets my attention, probably more than any of those you list. The designs and colors are amazing and there are still fewer of them displayed on here than other types.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Polymer Clay always gets my attention, probably more than any of those you list. The designs and colors are amazing and there are still fewer of them displayed on here than other types.
I knew there would be a style I would forget and yes you hit on one. Thanks Jim. That is a style in its own and does show well.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I will admit that I am more likely to get excited before I look at a thread when I see certain names. When Wizzard, skiprat, Brooks803, manupropria, jalbert, yourself when in SOP and the like post, I know I'll see something great. I get surprised now and then when someone I don't know posts a pen without a catchy title that reveals a pen that is well executed and is of simple materials like a pretty wood that just makes the eye happy. Too often I see pens that are trying to do too much and be different by combining everything into a blank. You know the ones, metal foil, watch parts, jewels, segmented, 30 colour cast resin and gold filled fossilised mouse teeth all on one pen.

So pens that have a well executed restrained beauty appeal to me the most. I can appreciate the work that people put into their pen but that doesn't mean I will like it. I didn't vote because I fall into the some of all the above group.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I have always admired the skill and beauty put into a component-less pen. And I always appreciate the imagination put into the modifying of a kit pen.
Gordon

The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent. Is that like <<<<<ZIP IT<<<<<<
flyitfast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Interesting and a little surprising
Logged on members can hide ads