What size sanding abrasive works best for pen turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What Size Sanding Abrasives Work Best for Pen Turning?

• 2 Inch Discs

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 3 Inch Discs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strips

Votes: 46 73.0%
  • Custom Created Size Abrasives

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vwnw

Hi gang,
I know that when I turn pens I use mostly 2" or 2 3/8" discs and SIASOFT foam backed sanding abrasives. I can tear or cut the SIASOFT into whatever lengths I want. For the higher grits I go with my SIAAIR 3" discs with foam padding on the back and those go up to 4000 grit and then my micro mesh products after that!

However, I was wondering what size sanding abrasives other people use to sand their pens and other small projects? I am going to create a starter kit for Pen Turners that would be useful to Pen Turners supplying what you need most. Please let me know what you use so I can be effective in this process.
Vince
www.VincesWoodNWonders.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi gang,
I know that when I turn pens I use mostly 2" or 2 3/8" discs and SIASOFT foam backed sanding abrasives. I can tear or cut the SIASOFT into whatever lengths I want. For the higher grits I go with my SIAAIR 3" discs with foam padding on the back and those go up to 4000 grit and then my micro mesh products after that!

However, I was wondering what size sanding abrasives other people use to sand their pens and other small projects? I am going to create a starter kit for Pen Turners that would be useful to Pen Turners supplying what you need most. Please let me know what you use so I can be effective in this process.
Vince
www.VincesWoodNWonders.com

But where's the poll?, or are you just looking for hits on your web site?

randyrls

Vince; I usually just cut sheets into 3/4" strips. I use regular sandpaper in 150 grit and wet/dry paper in 320, 400, 600, 1000, 2000 grits.

I use my skew for most all turning, and can usually start with the 400 grit sandpaper. dry on wood, wet on acrylic.

vwnw

But where's the poll?, or are you just looking for hits on your web site?

Hi Mac,
Thank you for the reply. No I am not just looking for hits on my site. I have plenty of transactions already. I was looking for where or how I create a poll but I am not savey as to creating a poll or survey on this site. I will have to seek out how to get that completed on this forum. I did not intend to offend anyone with the posting. Thanks again for the reply. Vince

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Mac,
Thank you for the reply. No I am not just looking for hits on my site. I have plenty of transactions already. I was looking for where or how I create a poll but I am not savey as to creating a poll or survey on this site. I will have to seek out how to get that completed on this forum. I did not intend to offend anyone with the posting. Thanks again for the reply. Vince
Hi Vince; I wasn't so much offended as curious. When I noted you originally had only 4 posts and no poll was added, my cynicism took over. It shouldn't have!

I have seen spammers working this way on other forums, so I thought the worst of you. My apologies, Sir!

I voted for strips (1") which I cut myself from full size sandpaper sheets.

vwnw

Hi Vince; I wasn't so much offended as curious. When I noted you originally had only 4 posts and no poll was added, my cynicism took over. It shouldn't have!

I have seen spammers working this way on other forums, so I thought the worst of you. My apologies, Sir!

I voted for strips (1") which I cut myself from full size sandpaper sheets.

Hi Mack,
I understand...No harm done and thank you for being honest in talking with me. In your opinion what grit do folks generally sand there pens up too? A couple of years ago I offered 1" strips from 80- 2000 grit and thought they would go over well but they did not. Do you feel folks would rather cut their own strips or purchase strips? I was going to create innerface backing pads for strips as it help to have a firm backing using lower grits and a soft innerface pad on the higher grits. I am wondering if maybe I pulled the line to soon... so I am seeking info. Thanks again, Vince

HSTurning

The question was "best for pens" and for me 1" is what works for me.
I use Abranet and MM that I cut the sheets into 1" strips

Top Bottom