What best describes your shop organization?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What best describes your shop organization?

• A labeled place for everything and everything in its place.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A place for nearly everything, and it's usually there.

• I get by, but sometimes have to rummage.

• I can find what I need, but you probably couldn't.

• I generally know which drawer my bits are in.

• Anybody seen my lathe? I thought it was under that thing ...

• Total voters

cdcarter

Good shop organization saves time and money. You work faster without sacrificing quality, and you don't have to replace lost bits and bushings. But it takes a little effort. How well organized is your shop?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As a matter of "risk control" you are not allowed in my shop. I know when I need to step over the blank that flew off the lathe last month, and I WILL get around to picking it up, Meanwhile, if YOU step on it, you will ruin it.

My drill bits are well organized, beyond that, well, if I MOVED it, I certainly SHOULD be able to FIND it. AND I CAN!!! (given enough time).

We have a lathe in the back of the trailer for shows. THAT is well organized. (Put on a good front). The lathe that really MAKES pens - well, it ain't neat, but it turns out some NICE work.

palmermethod

Last night I was using my drillpress and changed bits. After I drilled that hole someone stole my chuck key. Right in front of my eyes. I can't believe it.

Of course my wife "claims" she knows naught about it, but you know how wives are.

Plus...Plus, they put the part I just drilled in an open box and tried to hide it. I will search the rest of today even if it means strip searching you-know-who, until she confesses. And don't even ask about the strawberry jam. That little episode still torques my jaws.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The chuck key USED TO wander WAY too often.

I have now strung together several rubber bands and attached one end to the key in question and the other to the cord of the drill press. Follow the rubber band and the chuck key turns up EVERY TIME!!!!!

winpooh498

For the most part all of our materials are in a "home" and labeled. Shane and I have 2 separate work areas, mine is usually the messier one (ya know, creative minds work better that way). Shane's area is a little more tidy then mine. I usually have used sand paper out, all of my turning tools laying on my bench, a few different projects laying next to my lathe. Where as Shane is one project at a time start to finish. Ya know "creative minds" work on a project until the "creative mind" decides to move on and then we can go back when the "creative mind" wants to.

jwoodwright

OK, I've been in shops that were so organized and set-up exactly correct. Miles of pegboard painted yellow. Tool locations outlined in black. Wood neatly stored on rack. All Power tools with guards in place and lowered blades. No dust or sawdust visible. Work bench polished, floors with outlines for machines and walking lanes. "Please wipe your feet" sign on door. Hardware organized in parts compartments with labels...

I kept looking for the velvet ropes and the donation box you find at the museum!;)

My shop is like Norm's, just not as many tools...:([:I][:p];)

Delta, Jet, Porter cable know who I am, they just don't send power equipment for me to try.[:0]:([:I]

GoodTurns

I can (and have) spent hours "organizing" my shop...generally takes about 40 minutes to destroy everything! I have lots of cabinets, plenty of storage space, clear plastic boxes...all the necessary tools, just can't keep it that way. (the lathe is bolted to the bench...I can usually find it on the first try:D)

VisExp

" A place for nearly everything, and it's usually there."

Funny you should ask. I'm busy building some dovetail drawers so that I will have a nice area to put all my pen making supplies, blanks and kits :D

My shop is fairly organized. It certainly isn't like a museum, but is, at least to me, a nice combination of clean, functional and well used.

rhahnfl

Pathetic... best describes my garage/shop. Every time I go to clean it, the weather is uncooperative. Then I get to where I don't want to work on it... just go out and work in it. I had really wanted to get out and clean this long weekend but the wind and rain are upon us. Oh well...

great12b4ever

My shop is somewhat organized. I have an inherited welding shop with metal sides, metal posts, metal trusses, metal roof, and 35 years of my fathers accumulation. I have been remodeling by building stud walls, insulating, covering with 1/2" plywood, making drawers and cabinets, labeling where i want things to go, installing a central dust collector, rewiring and relighting shop. Plus remodeling house, building decks, building my flat work orders, turning pens, turning other items, collecting wood, collecting tools, working 60-70 hours per week. So my shop is in the process of getting organized completely. But I have to clean out one area by moving the stuff into another area to remodel the area I just cleaned out so I can clutter it back up with the stuff from the next area. I will tell you that a 30' x 40' shop building is just not big enough. Now if it was 50' x 80', with a separate 30' x 40' wood storage area, then I might have enough room. After all, I have about 10,000 board feet of cherry, maple, oak, and cedar stickered and drying in my shop also. But I do have paths made:D:D:D

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by ed4copies

As a matter of "risk control" you are not allowed in my shop. I know when I need to step over the blank that flew off the lathe last month, and I WILL get around to picking it up, Meanwhile, if YOU step on it, you will ruin it.

My drill bits are well organized, beyond that, well, if I MOVED it, I certainly SHOULD be able to FIND it. AND I CAN!!! (given enough time).

We have a lathe in the back of the trailer for shows. THAT is well organized. (Put on a good front). The lathe that really MAKES pens - well, it ain't neat, but it turns out some NICE work.

So Dawn has taken up turning pens??????? :D[}:)];)

Phillip

Sad but true....I came home from work one Saturday evening to find my shop as neat as a hospital room. My wife and 8 year old daughter cleaned it for me. It took me about a week to find everything because everything was stored in it it's proper location. I did however lose out on a lot of drops and cut-offs because they thought they were trash/scrap. Now I keep my shop clean to ensure the cleaning crew will not return. Gotta love the girls.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cav,

I have not yet told Dawn how to UNBURY the lathe.

You keep forgetting, SHE does GLASS - PROFITABLY. (In the "humans" part of the house where there's sunlight and bathrooms and COFFEE!!!!!)

Firefyter-emt

Well, it's not quite to the point of having the tools outlined on the lathe, but I can tell if something has been moved within seconds of entering the shop if that tells you anything!

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by palmermethod

Last night I was using my drillpress and changed bits. After I drilled that hole someone stole my chuck key. Right in front of my eyes. I can't believe it.

Of course my wife "claims" she knows naught about it, but you know how wives are.

Plus...Plus, they put the part I just drilled in an open box and tried to hide it. I will search the rest of today even if it means strip searching you-know-who, until she confesses. And don't even ask about the strawberry jam. That little episode still torques my jaws.
Please .. do tell how are we wives?????
Besides if you weren't strip searching you-know-who and torturing her with strawberry jam in the shop it might not be so hard to find that part you just drilled.
2008119225257_wiggle.gif

[:X] Mrs.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Phillip

Sad but true....I came home from work one Saturday evening to find my shop as neat as a hospital room. My wife and 8 year old daughter cleaned it for me. It took me about a week to find everything because everything was stored in it it's proper location. I did however lose out on a lot of drops and cut-offs because they thought they were trash/scrap. Now I keep my shop clean to ensure the cleaning crew will not return. Gotta love the girls.

I think the first time I did that in our shop the Mr. earned himself an entire cabinet(overhead) 2 or so empty drawers, one cabinet bottom, almost all of the bottom of his tool chest roll around.. LOTS of new storage would be the point here. He didn't find anything missing he didn't want missing (he was there working at the time and I was tired of not being included.) He didn't learn so much about keeping it neat all the time - but he did learn that I don't mind being in the shop and now I am more involved and we get to spend more time together!
20081192341_wink.gif

[:X] Mrs.

OKLAHOMAN

An organized shop....did I miss something.....whats an organized shop? The reason I have 2 lathes is that if I look hard enough I can usually find one of them but as to my bits I'm proud to say that thay are ALL in the same box............... somewhere.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mine: fairly well organized but gets messy quick; clean up and organize every two or three months. Currently it is messy.

My eyes are trained to watch things that fall to see what they roll under! I don't even have to tell them that if they don't follow the path of the falling object, they will likely be searching for several minutes in a dusty environment, they will take all the blame for what the hands dropped, and will also get bombarded with severe complaints from the knees and sinuses alike! That is why they water over so quick!

TBone

Everything in it's place???? Are you kidding? I tried that, but I keep buying "stuff" and ran out of "places" looooonnnng ago. Besides my shop shares space with everything that doesn't come into the house, yard tools, hunting gear, freezer, etc. Someone in the house thinks that if it makes it inside the garage, it's my problem.

CaptG

Chaos, utter and total. Best described as a 30 by 48 maze. Life line recomended for those entering for the first few times.:D[:I]

stevers

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt

Well, it's not quite to the point of having the tools outlined on the lathe, but I can tell if something has been moved within seconds of entering the shop if that tells you anything!

That is putting it mildly for me Lee. Every tool and piece of equipment is kept in it's place. When I'm done with it, it goes back where it belongs. When any major project is completed, the shop is cleaned and vacuumed. Before I start sanding a pen, the lathe is vacuumed off. Before I start a finish, the lathe is vacuumed off. If someone moves something in my shop, I know it. Only one other person is allowed in my shop. My wife. And she rarely goes in it. It is "my place", "my man cave". And thats how I like it. Just how I am.

clewless

Look, I put my Forstner bit extension "away" in a safe place so I can find it when I need it. Now I need it.

I found the allen wrench in the box with the bit set (of course no room for the extension in the box).

But now I can't remember where I put the extension...........grrrrrrrrr

Two days after I buy a new one, of course I'll trip over the old one.......

Joe

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by stevers

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt

That is putting it mildly for me Lee. Every tool and piece of equipment is kept in it's place. When I'm done with it, it goes back where it belongs. . .

I difference to Steve but in line with Lee, Mine is often a mess, but I can tell if ANYTHING in my mess has been moved . . and do it within seconds. My mess is my creativity. I KNOW what it looks like! :D

gmcnut

It looks like I'm part of what is the majority group at the moment. "I can find what I need, but you probably couldn't." I do enjoy the cleaning and organizing. Just not as much as I enjoy the cutting, drilling, gluing, turning. Someday I hope to be in the "A labeled place for everything and everything in its place." category. But there isn't enough places or labels. :D

Daniel

I moved into my shop about a year ago. Most of it is stil in boxes, just not the same box it came in. I have been shuffling things from box to box looking for whatever I need all this time.I do have my wood lathe, drill press, and metal lathe stuff out where I can get it. but it is slowly getting buried under things like the peppermill drawings, parts for that jig I wanna make. Sort of like watching an avalanche in very slow motion.

toolcrazy

Your are supposed to organize your shop? [:0][:0]

Hummmm, new concept. Gonna have to think this over.

This is supposed to help me find things?

Now where did I put that list of things to do in the shop..........

its_virgil

Organization in my shop: Nonexistent! I spend way too much time looking for a tool I just used 10 minutes ago. How can it be under so much other stuff? :D:(
do a good turn daily!
Don

Rifleman1776

Actually, I'm pretty well organized. But 'neat' would never describe my shop. It is used and looks it. My workbench does have a lot o clutter. I'm suspicious of shops that look to neat and sparkly clean. Showplaces, not work shops, IMHO.

polarbear1

I go out to clean the shop, then I see a nice piece of wood, and I see my lathe sitting there not doing anything, and I think: As soon as I clean this up it's gonna get messy again, So I skip the cleaning step and make a bowl or a pen, or a lidded box, or something.

alamocdc

My desire is to have a nicely organized shop and I've taken steps several times to get it that way. It's just that something always comes up that keeps me from finishing the job... You know, silly little things like remodelling the house, orders for pens, bowls, cutting boards, and other wood working, etc. I just never ends, so my shop is probably worse than Ed's. In fact I issue a disclaimer to any and all who wish to visit me in my shop... "Enter at your own risk... and do be careful when stepping over the bowl blanks on the floor.";)

Gentleben

I would have nice clean shop (studio - I'm told if it has air conditioning it is a studio. On the gulf coast of Texas it is a almost a necessity) but my wife has her lathe there also and her idea of a neat place to work is to lay down what ever she is working with where she finishes with it So much for a tidy shop. I have been telling about it for forty years and it doesn't do any good so I just clean up and bite my tongue these days

Top Bottom