WANTED: Opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hunter1787

Hey Howdy Hey,

Here is my question for the day (unless I come up with another one), which picture do YOU like better?

ALL opinions are very welcome. I am looking to get a feel for what people like better. I know that there is probably not going to be a unanimous vote, but at least it will give me a direction to go.

Thanks much,

John

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpg
    IMG_4203.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_45582.jpg
    IMG_45582.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 382
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

IMHO, white background is better for these pens, but it may not work with some lighter colored pens (e.g., white acrylic, Holly, Casein).

Haynie

What is your purpose? Your back ground choice should fit the reason for the photo. I am partial to the black. Well exposed, pen is visible, my monitors here at work, the shop and the office all show the pen very clearly and it is not swallowed up at all. I checked yesterday on all four. I do not like the white.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Taking photos of the same pen with different backgrounds will give you better results to judge by. Two different pens with two different back grounds makes it difficult to compare.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You may also want to kick the EV setting up a notch for the black and down one for the white.

Kretzky

Black Background - the chrome has very little reflection, so it's difficult to tell that it is chrome. I wouldn't say the pen as a whole is swallowed but on my screen the chrome parts certainly are.
The White background looks better imo. But as a number of members have said, it would be a better comparison to use the same pen with different backgrounds. Much more objective.

ctubbs

Different items should have a background to accent the material of construction. Some things will look better on a darker background while others need a lighter one. The contrast should not be glaring or be the object of attention. The background should be just that, a background and never draw the viewer's attention away from the object being photographed. Just my $0.03(inflation).
Charles

Hunter1787

Thanks for the replies. I think that I'll go with the white background. It shows the pen accurately and I just plain like it better.

Thanks again for your help.

John

ALexG

white background, but as composition the black one, use a white background with a mirror under the pen and show the clip

ttpenman

I agree with the comments on the white background being better and also that a light gray would be even better. Any lighter color would allow the chrome to show better. Gets lost in the black.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Top Bottom