Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anything but gold

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

I do not like the 24k kits personally. I rubbed the plating off mine within 1 week of use.

When someone is ordering a pen I usually let them know which one I reccommend.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by airrat
<br />I do not like the 24k kits personally. I rubbed the plating off mine within 1 week of use.

When someone is ordering a pen I usually let them know which one I reccommend.

That's interesting. I have several 24K pens I use extensively and have seen no evidence of the plating wearing off. I do have a key ring pill bottle that I use daily with 24K and after months of use and abuse the plating did wear off of that. I know others reccomend upgrade gold or titanium for assuring a quality product. My approach now is 24K for Slimline pens in the $20-$30 price range and TN for Europeans and Barons priced at $35 and up. I didn't vote because none of the answers fit my situation.

dubdrvrkev

My least favorite kits are gold, just a personal preference. I only make them because they sell pretty well, but when I do it is Ti for baron/jr gent, upgrade for cigars, and 24k for slimlines.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Although I thought 10K was "permanent", recently a customer returned one that was completely worn off. The customer in question is a truck driver by trade (local route) so he uses his pen a LOT and he admits to being less than user friendly!!! The pen was about 6 months old.

The vendor that sold me the pen kit says that this happens a few times in a year and they were excellent about providing a replacement. I insisted to the customer that I would make him a replacement for free and it will be titanium so it CAN'T wear off. This all happened about 2 weeks ago. Today, he came in, picked up his replacement (TN for free) and ordered 7 more pens for the guys in his family-will order for the girls when he picks up and start on his wife's family thereafter.

ALL IS VERY WELL. But, the kit is $2. more in titanium and TO ME, IT IS WORTH IT!!!

Rudy Vey

The only "gold" plating that is nearly indestructible is Titanium Gold (a Titanium Nitride coating). All other (real) gold coatings will wear off over time - some faster, some slower.

opfoto

I have used only 24k gold for most SL's and Cigars made to date. But I have been watching these threads carefully as of late. So far I have been fortunate. No returns as of yet.

airrat

Thanks for the responses so far. Hoping to see more from others with their expierences. I just redid a pen for one of the Doctors I work with. Used the 24k slimline with a Medical clip. Gave it to him a month ago and its worn off completely on the clip and center band. Told him to let me have it back and would put a new kit on it and polish it back up. Used a satin silver kit. Looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom