Is it "roller ball" or "rollerball"?

• roller ball

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • rollerball

Votes: 37 80.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

azamiryou

Parker and Uni say "roller ball" (though Uni usually leaves the "ball" off and makes it "Roller Pen" or just "Roller"). Mont Blanc, Cross, and Wikipedia say "rollerball". Merriam-Webster is silent on the subject. What do you call it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AKPenTurner

I've always used rollerball.
As a quick check, I typed it into Microsoft Word and looked it up in its dictionary, which had this as its definition:
1. Pen with movable ball tip.
A pen with a writing tip in the form of a small movable metal or plastic ball.

Not that Microsoft Word is any authority, I have tons of trouble with the program. Maybe they finally got something right...:rolleyes:

stolicky

Auto spell check does not like "rollerball". Just sayin' I don't like those squiggly red lines under my engineering taught spelling ability... : )

Personally, I do like it as one word.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm not sure this is definitive, but the The Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association, a national trade association covering the $4.5-billion industry of pen, pencil and marker manufacturers, says roller ball pen. I believe either has become acceptable.

Rfturner

I generally use Rollerball, but I have found that I sometimes write it as roller ball. I like it better being one word personally.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
spoken word

When spoken...it really doesn't make any difference does it? "Rollerball" and "roller ball" really sound the same. I think I usually write it as rollerball unless I'm typing a little bit faster then it will come out roller ball. My guess is the reader will know what I mean in either case.

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Hmmm ! does this mean that biro's and that type are also "Roller Balls" I assume they have a ball that rolls the ink onto the paper :) cheers ~:biggrin: John

pianomanpj

Direct from the pages of Exotics!!!! Nuff said, this must be right!!!

Churchill Roller Ball Kit

Why would they have to be right ? According to the spell checker "ed4copies" is really "endoscopies" so if he's been spelling his name wrong for all these years ..... :wink::tongue::biggrin:

Sheesh, Ed! Are you gonna take that lying down?!? :cool:

Well, I suppose endoscopically, you would... :eek::rolleyes:

Chthulhu

I'm not sure this is definitive, but the The Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association, a national trade association covering the $4.5-billion industry of pen, pencil and marker manufacturers, says roller ball pen. I believe either has become acceptable.

And on the WIMA Web site:

"In 1977 a new type of ballpoint that uses low-viscosity ink was introduced - the 'Rollerball.'"

Top Bottom