Reasonable expectations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

When should you expect a refund for a pen blank?

• I turned it, I don't like the pen--yes refund

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I turned it, I don't like the pen---no refund

Votes: 67 42.1%
  • I have not turned it, don't like it---yes refund

Votes: 94 59.1%
  • I have not turned it, don'e like it--no refund

Votes: 50 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

If you machined it no refund. If I have not machined I would still keep it. Who knows what it looks like until it is machined. That is why I only buy one or two of a new blank. Also even though I many not like it my customer would most likely love it.

Alan

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wow, a refund for a pen blank! Unless it comes in pieces or is obviously cracked or seriously flawed I can't imagine asking for a refund. Seriously, it a piece of wood/resin/acrylic... not a refrigerator.

A minor flaw is a challenge! Shoot, my "splatter bucket" is 1/3 full (12" D x 12" H)... Maybe I need some classes :eek:! I can't imagine ever asking for a refund for blanks unless there are serious flaws or it was the wrong product...Even then, I would probably just deal with I got. There are much more serious things to worry about than a piece of woods.

I'd also factor in past experiences with the vendor. If past experiences were good - forget about it. If it happens repeatedly - try someone else. NO vendor will have perfect products, and FEW business owners can possibly attend to EVERYTHING in their business.

For what it is worth, I started buying most of my supplies from convenient local businesses I can drive to (Berea Hardwoods; Rockler; Woodcraft; Thompson Tools), but I have shifted the past 8 months to mostly IAP members/member's businesses - and have been very pleased. It does help to have some patience as some members have other jobs and do their IAP orders in the evenings. But the quality is well worth it.

As stated above: A clear return policy that is as obvious as a 2 x 4 to the forehead will eliminate some headaches; but for others... no extreme efforts will please them.

Sheesh... I admire folks who work in sales... (wait, I guess I do also - maybe that's why I'm always stressed :smile-big:.

Good Q/A Ed.

I must confess I didn't read the whole thread. To me getting an unexciting blank is the price you pay for buying it sight unseen. When I want an exciting blank I go to where I can see good pictures of it or buy it locally so I can hold it and see all sides of it.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I think that unless the blank was defective when it arrived you should not get a refund. If you decide you just don't like it then it's your loss. Working in retail you see people wanting to return things for just about any reason. Like the customer who was playing catch with a gallon of milk and dropped it he want the store to replace it. Or the one who are half a birthday cake and wanted to return it because it had tge wrong frosting. I'm sure there may be a someone out there that might expect a refund because no one liked it or as some of the reviews on Amazon say they sent the kit back because it was just little pieces and not a whole pen.

Mike Powell

IMHO, if you buy it, it is yours. If you order by mistake, that is your mistake. If the dealer allows returns, contact them to see if they are willing to make good your mistake. Once you put tool to material, all bets are off.

On the other hand, if the dealer sends you something flawed or something you did not order, then by all means get a refund or replacement.

I agree, I would never expecta refund of a blank I dont like. If there is an issue with it, thats a little different. But if I looked at the site, and made the decision to purchase, its on me. If it was something I just couldnt live with, I would call the vendor, and see if there was something we could work out, but I wouldnt expect it.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Stating a policy to protect yourself and your suppliers against abuse from someone who had buyers remorse or the blank wasnt quite what their client wanted is good business. It also allows You the option to provide service above and beyond what anyone has a right to expect. If you have a major manufacturing defect different story. Im sure your suppliers stand behind their products as strongly as you stand behind them.

larryc

I agree that you should not expect a refund on anything except an out and out misrepresentation or obvious flaw. Anything other than that maybe a store credit.

Another poll might be in order (and if there already has been one, point me in the right direction). What about refunds on component sets? I often buy in quantity to obtain best price and it may be six months to a year before a I use all the parts and I may find a flaw in a component. (I hate when that happens because then I have to check the balance of the purchased sets to see if there are any more.) Should the buyer expect a refund or replacement six months (or more) after purchase?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree that you should not expect a refund on anything except an out and out misrepresentation or obvious flaw. Anything other than that maybe a store credit.

Another poll might be in order (and if there already has been one, point me in the right direction). What about refunds on component sets? I often buy in quantity to obtain best price and it may be six months to a year before a I use all the parts and I may find a flaw in a component. (I hate when that happens because then I have to check the balance of the purchased sets to see if there are any more.) Should the buyer expect a refund or replacement six months (or more) after purchase?

This is my PERSONAL opinion, Larry. NOT what Exotics is doing, but what I always felt was reasonable.

I bought pen kits in 100+ and 300+ price categories. This gave me SUBSTANTIAL discounts, compared with the guy buying one or ten at a time. Taking just CSUSA's 25% discount for 100 pen kits, means you are getting 2.5 kits FREE for every 10 you buy. Seemed to me that meant I should be able to absorb the cost of the occasional kit missing a part (which actually happened far less than 1% of the time.) Returning things is a hassle---wastes time that has a value. I knew I LOST components in my sawdust more often than they were "missing in the kit".

One way to account for this is to "cost" every component set at the ONE unit price and base your retail pricing on that. Then the discounts you actually earn are "bonus" money. Additionally, when you have a "special order" for a kit you don't have in stock, your pricing is already set up to allow you to order the ONE kit you need, although I don't think I EVER ordered fewer than 50---there's always SOME way to get to a discount!!

NONE of the manufacturers provide extra parts in shipments to dealers. So every mistake is "covered" by someone else. I always figured as the link that was closest to the customer, I was making the highest margin, I could best afford to replace what needed replacing. Otherwise, if my dealer did it, they would raise the cost of the next shipment to cover not only the parts, but freight and handling costs. So, in the long run, the cost of the kit was minor, as long as the instances were rare-----and they WERE, VERY rare.

What Exotics does:

As I said, Exotics does NOT use this philosophy. We replace lots of parts, most of which are "penmaker error" in breaking things. In the long run, all penmakers will pay for this. There's no such thing as a "free lunch"! Nor are there any FREE PARTS.

FWIW,
Ed

larryc

Very good points Ed.

I was referring not so much to missing parts (which I don't think I have ever experienced) but things such as bad plating, cracked plastic components, bent ink fills or such.

I will remember your suggestions and consider the overall picture the next time I experience such problems.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Definitely TELL the dealer about bad plating. This issue will never go away, unless it is reported to the manufacturer.

larryc

Definitely TELL the dealer about bad plating. This issue will never go away, unless it is reported to the manufacturer.

The last dealer I dealt with on bad plating (which was evident by roughness on the clip) made good on replacing the items but when I sent them back to him, (as he requested) hoping he could resolve the issue with his supplier he replied, "We had a good look at them and can hardly find any issues."

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Ed

I bought this Witness Wood blank from you a few years ago.

After turning I decided I don't like the texture. Can I return it?

Here's a picture. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 157
Top Bottom