Rarest Woods in the World

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Daniel,

"Truly Quality" is hard to define. I've seen so much cherry burl that I believe high quality cherry burl are not that rare. That is by MY standards.

IF they are referring to quality (figure, color, and solid size)...then that is a different story since the best I've seen have lots of inclusions or not that solid. They tend to get better with age but rot gets to some parts before that is reached. Getting high quality cherry burl pen blanks should not be a problem though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

garypeck

Those are unique picts. I have never seen that kind. Kaki is a little different as the brown is in "layers" between black.

It might be a couple of days, but I will try to post a pict of Kaki.

This may be a better picture of it.....

First pic of it...... in its raw form....

2nd pic.... after its been made into a "gemstone" and ploished....

Attachments

• DSC01990.gif
    DSC01990.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 741
  • DSC01970.gif
    DSC01970.gif
    12 KB · Views: 580

OldWrangler

Two of my favorite "rare woods" are wood from trees that grow in my back yard. One is an Orchid Tree (Bauhinia chinensis) with big 6" scented white flowers all spring and into the summer. The other is a Contorted Mulberry ( Morus alba "Unryh"), truly an odd sight, with its gnarled and twisted branches. ...
I have never seen even a blank for sale of either. Both trees get pruned every year or two and it nets me some great stuff wood. The pens from both are gorgeous and sell quickly.

YORKGUM

Shittim, Setim {Acacia seyal}. The ark, tables, altars were made from it.

Cedar of Lebanon {Cedrus libani}.

Amazon Rosewood {Dalbergia spruceana} sometimes sold by the trade name
of Jacarandá

Here's a pic of some shiitum blanks I just picked up. They are from the Sinai Desert.
shittum.jpg

Top Bottom