A question of wood choice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Free blank at no cost but it must be your favorite...or else :)

• amboyna/amboyna burl

Votes: 33 46.5%
  • maple burl/birdseye maple

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • box elder burl

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • buckeye burl

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • she oak/lace she oak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cherry burl

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • padauk

• zircote/bocote

• rosewood

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • other (note by post)...I only had room for 10 so tried to hit some high points

Votes: 17 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

atomic ray

A fairly basic thought, if you had a gift certificate for a single blank of your choice of wood...no cost limit, but it must be your favorite wood, not just the most expensive...answer wrong and the bridge tender will cast you into the gouge.

:banana:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I would choose any highly figured dark wood like HRB.
I have a wonderful piece from a good man here, labelled 'Rosewood Eye Burl'
I haven't decided on what kit deserves it yet!! :biggrin:

atomic ray

Hey no fair, I was still writing the poll! LOL

:bananen_smilies035:

PS
I had to go with a tight list, so I listed 10 or so that always catch my eye, assuming others like the same sort of things...strong markings, rich color, and grain character.

Last edited:

kinggabby

Was given I believe Rose Wood Lattice I think thats what it was called ... t6urned out real nice and sold fairly fast too

atomic ray

I had collected a few logs 30-40lb'ers from GTMO Cuba in 1983-84 (my first duty station...pristine beauty in the water and on the land) which I later sold but I would love to have some now. I think it was Lignum Vitae but it was so distinct...honey caramel center with a high yellow heart and deep dark blood red epidermal just below the coarse bark...beautiful and a known blade killer. It stayed oily forever and had a slight aroma when it sweat.

Great stuff but a tough pen unless stabilized.

SDB777

Banana tree. I haven't ever seen any blanks from that. That would be cool, LOL

Hmmmm......errrrrrr........uhhhhh, nope.
How about a banana dance?
bananadance2.gif
bananadance2.gif
bananadance2.gif
bananadance2.gif

Scott (woohoo!) B

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Limited exposure

Of those I've seen Amboyna Burl is the prettiest...but I have a knockout pen made from Curly Maple. But there are a lot more pen woods that I've never seen than those I have.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
http://www.burlsource.com/

Bad Dog Burls...what a great site, I wish I lived within reasonable driving distance...that would be a killer road trip...weekly road trip :banana:
It's a great place to visit, I am looking forward to my next trip up there(rubbing it in), he has some great wood and makes a great smoked brisket and chicken lunch.:wink:

As for the wood, I would have to choose either Honduran Rosewood Burl or Cocobolo Burl as my favorite.

RAdams

Banned
I have two. A piece of Molave Burl i got in a blank trade, or a piece of Hickory Burl i got as a gift from a good friend. I haven't found the right kit for them yet, but when i do..... the game will be over!

MatthewZS

Manzanita root

Manzanita root is GORGEOUS but I never see it in pens, only bowls and stuff. It makes for ... I think.... some of the most striking pens around.

toddlajoie

Bad Dog Burls...what a great site,
It's a great place to visit, I am looking forward to my next trip up there(rubbing it in), he has some great wood and makes a great smoked brisket and chicken lunch.:wink:

Ditto Neil!!! His place was fantastic!!!

Ray, having bought a lot of blanks through the mail and often being disapointed in what I received in the mail, I would say without a doubt that I would order any pen blanks Bad Dog had to offer, sight unseen. There was not a single blank I saw in his shop that I would not have been thrilled to have show up in the mail. I would never mention any of the companies that had disappointed me (but trust me, they are not the ones who are well represented here..) but I would readily promote all that met or exceeded my expectations, and Bad Dog is at the top of that list...

And as for the free blank, yes please, one of something would be great, anything...

Top Bottom