Prizes per person limit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Should we limit trivia players to ONE prize per person, for the month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Haynie

This depends on how the organizers view prize awarding.

We have about a dozen people who are "planning". Pick a point of view and SOMEONE in that group will share your opinion. The purpose of the bash is to give the members a chance to "have fun" while also reminding us to support the IAP (financially).

Those of us who are there every year are most interested in letting the members have a good time----thus, the questions.

If we already had decided on the answers, I would not ask for your input!!

Most of us declare ourselves ineligible for prizes---so what is decided has NO impact on us.

No reason to get upset. I was wondering what the organizers felt. Either way would be doable. If someone's feelings were hurt because they were not chosen in a random drawing their lives are a tad shallow.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

If participation is what you're after, why not have a drawing at the end with only people who played a certain number of days or more. For example: the entries in the last drawing are people that played at least 20 times. And of course, make the prize worth staying around if someone has already won. Or the 2nd option would be for people to get to select the prize they want the most. But that seems like a nightmare to keep up with.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This depends on how the organizers view prize awarding.

We have about a dozen people who are "planning". Pick a point of view and SOMEONE in that group will share your opinion. The purpose of the bash is to give the members a chance to "have fun" while also reminding us to support the IAP (financially).

Those of us who are there every year are most interested in letting the members have a good time----thus, the questions.

If we already had decided on the answers, I would not ask for your input!!

Most of us declare ourselves ineligible for prizes---so what is decided has NO impact on us.

No reason to get upset. I was wondering what the organizers felt. Either way would be doable. If someone's feelings were hurt because they were not chosen in a random drawing their lives are a tad shallow.

Not upset in the slightest!! Very rare occurrence to get me riled!

The organizational "meeting" threads in the planning reflect LOTS of points of view---it's nice to know what those who "play" the games would like.

GoodTurns

...the 2nd option would be for people to get to select the prize they want the most. But that seems like a nightmare to keep up with.

I believe they did this last year...people picked a number that matched up to a prize...so the Random Winner got a Random Prize!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I played once and didn't win so I went and sulked the rest of the bash without trying again...LOL...leave it alone.

With all the great prizes what about having the daily trivia winners win a ticket to a final drawing with all the prizes in that drawing. You could even increase the number of daily winners to say maybe 5 or any other number.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Trust me, Alfred!! If we charged what it cost at minimum wage per man hour, plus the cost of the donated prizes, no one could afford to play!!!

I think that people should be able to win more than once, as it might increase involvement in the Bash, which is what I think this thing is all about anyway if I understand it right. The only reason that I can see to limit the prizes would be if it becomes a big stink. Most people would understand the reasons behind only winning one, so it would be more "fair", but might decrease involvement. Besides "loosing" 3 prizes out of 58, which is just over 5% of all prizes given out, is not that much IF it increases participation.

David

MartinPens

nsfr1206 said:
I didn't win but I say leave it like it is.

No trivia winning this year, but it's random, so I think anyone/everyone should be able to play every day. I voted to keep it like it is.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

bobskio2003

Trivia

I have been entering the trivia contests for many years now and there are a number of things that factor into how many entrants enter each day. This year all the questions were fairly easy to find the answers to but in the past I felt the best ones were the ones that progressively got harder throughout the month. I seem to recall times where there were less than 20 people entering on a day because the question was a tough one. Now some of us love digging for answers (although I still haven't figured out where the answer to #1 in the crosswords #2 came from) and I feel that those that do the digging should have an equal chance each day. We don't limit how many times people can win other contests so why do it to the Trivia contest. The questions are different each day so the number of people entering can be different each day. Just my thoughts, Bob I.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well

58 prizes 3 folks won twice - 55 winners (none of whom was me). Somehow I don't see a problem there. Assume I entered and didn't win, which happened 24 or 25 times, why would I ever be concerned about who did win? If the same name came up 40 times I'd probably suggest the RNG be checked out, but otherwise what difference does it make who wins if I didn't? Ya, just turn your hat around, let the rain run off your neck, and enter again the next day.:rolleyes:

tim self

Not sure about the "they'd quit and go home" but if a person is lucky enough to win twice then good for them. I didn't win this yr but enjoy playing. The win is a plus.

Now if someone is "lucky" enough to win 5 times in the month then it may have the appearance of being fixed. (Even though we know it's not.)

jdmacdo

If someone wins the PowerBall lottery, can they never win again??? If you know the answer and your number gets picked again, you're just lucky...

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I suppose you could just limit the number of people who enter to
the number of prizes available and give one to everybody.
And don't forget to put your toys away before recess.. :biggrin:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
How much a deal would it be to wait and send prizes at the end of the month? Huge I bet? If not then you win one then you win another you pick what you want and the other prize goes back in for another drawing.

This is the way I did 85% this year. Yes, it is a couple busy days, all day. BUT---I like the advantage to the vendor, so I will probably continue this format---with some improvements.

To clarify, I did all the "sending" at the end of the month. I did NOT do any limiting of prizes--that's not the current policy, so I just send out to the vendors who send to ALL the winners.

Just an FYI, I received a PM from one of our vendors who suggested that we NOT wait until the end of the month to send the Trivia prizes. The reasoning was, if you won a prize would you like to, or do you mind waiting several weeks before receiving the prize? This is not a question I am asking to be debated here because I don't want this thread to veer off topic. This is one of the MANY things that we will be discussing while planning future BASHs.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Well, I don't think it is so simple as the poll options.

You see, some prizes were of more interest to me than others, so I only played on days where one of the prizes was something I thought I would actually use.

Please don't mis-construe this. There is nothing wrong with any of the prizes, it is just that for example, based on the kit-less stuff I am doing, 5.25" blanks aren't something I'm likely to use in the near future, so I'd rather someone else who can use them win them.

Here is my suggestion:

If you simply list all 58 (leap year!) prizes and allow the person to pick any of them, and update the availability daily, then I, for one, would play until I either won, or the remaining prizes don't fit my needs/desires. With the varying needs/desires of our membership, I think it quite possible that something of interest would be on the list until the end of the month, and I would actually play MORE total days under this scenario.

I have been given a suggestion that during the last week or day of the BASH we hold a "Prize Exchange". Everyone who has won a prize they don't need can list it in the Prize Exchange thread and choose one of the other prizes listed. this would address the concerns I've seen about playing for prizes that are not really useful to the individual playing. there then would be no reason for someone who wants to play every day to do so.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Alot of very entertaining points of view by all. I don't have the answer, but I guarantee whatever you do, this thread will be back next year. You tweak a little here and there, but now people are mad cause they still didn't win anything. It has no bearing on me if i win or lose. Would you not allow the Ky Derby winner to enter the Preakness or Belmont? Just my humble opinion.

Andrew_K99

You see, some prizes were of more interest to me than others, so I only played on days where one of the prizes was something I thought I would actually use.

Please don't mis-construe this. There is nothing wrong with any of the prizes, it is just that for example, based on the kit-less stuff I am doing, 5.25" blanks aren't something I'm likely to use in the near future, so I'd rather someone else who can use them win them.

Here is my suggestion:

If you simply list all 58 (leap year!) prizes and allow the person to pick any of them, and update the availability daily, then I, for one, would play until I either won, or the remaining prizes don't fit my needs/desires. With the varying needs/desires of our membership, I think it quite possible that something of interest would be on the list until the end of the month, and I would actually play MORE total days under this scenario.

I have been given a suggestion that during the last week or day of the BASH we hold a "Prize Exchange". Everyone who has won a prize they don't need can list it in the Prize Exchange thread and choose one of the other prizes listed. this would address the concerns I've seen about playing for prizes that are not really useful to the individual playing. there then would be no reason for someone who wants to play every day to do so.

I would NOT do this!!!!

If you were vendor X and your prizes were the 'duds' no one wanted I'd bet they never return!!!

AK

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not me

Here is my suggestion:

I would NOT do this!!!!

If you were vendor X and your prizes were the 'duds' no one wanted I'd bet they never return!!!

AK
I can only speak for this vendor - but I'd probably never even notice.

Once I donate the prize the next thing I'm interested in regarding that prize is where to send it.

I care not what event it's offered up in, who wins it or what they do with it after they win it.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

I have been given a suggestion that during the last week or day of the BASH we hold a "Prize Exchange".
I would NOT do this!!!!

Speaking as a vendor, I'd like my donations to go to someone who wants them. If the winner won't use the prize, it's a complete waste for me to send it to him. I'd much rather see the receipient trade or regift the prize than hold onto it in order to spare my feelings. If someone would rather receive blanks than a gift certificate, please let me know. I'm happy to accomodate that too.

And if my prizes are "duds" that noone wants - well, I might be a little upset, but I'd try to come up with better prizes for next year.

For example, let's say that one person who enjoys casting and turning his own blanks wins some cast blanks. Another member, who doesn't cast (and doesn't want to) wins resin. Wouldn't it make a lot of sense for them to swap? Both prizes are great, and I wouldn't want to offend the donor of either, but an open exchange benefits everybody.

Sincerely,
Eric

soligen

Here is my suggestion:

A prize exchange seems like a logistical nightmare to me. It seems to me that you know what all the prizes are ah the beginning of the bash, which is why I suggested what I did.

I don't think any of the prizes were "duds", it is just that some of us are into different things than others.

MarkHix

2 cents....

I'll chime in here:
I am one of the double winners. I spent several years playing without winning and had just as much fun. It seems (maybe just to me because I never asked), that the point of the contest is not really to win but to point members to the parts of the forum that have something to offer other than the discussions. I had just as much fun and learned just as much without winning. I would play for nothing. The prize is a bonus.

If the lure of the prize was the reason to play, the odds are very much against you even if the prizes are limited to one winner per year. I do not think the current system is broken.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
put to bed.

I think I'll put this thread "to bed" now. At my age I might not even be here next year and if I am I'll have forgotten all of what's been said here, as well as how the contests worked this year so I won't know if anything's been changed or not.:rolleyes::wink:

Top Bottom