Prizes per person limit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Should we limit trivia players to ONE prize per person, for the month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It has been suggested that the number of prizes per person in the Trivia contest should be limited to ONE.

This is a poll AND a conversation, I hope!!!

If we limit each trivia player to one prize, will the guys who win early keep playing, even though they can't win anything?

Do you care? (The bash team tries to get a maximum number of members participating---we think that means you are enjoying the bash---are we very misdirected???? ---certainly we can't be WRONG:eek::eek::eek:)

I'd like to see a LOT of comments here, please!!!!

Andrew_K99

I voted "no" ... though I wasn't sure what you meant by 'they will quit and go home".

I think if you play you should be able to win, just like if you entered a pen in 5 categories.

AK

tjseagrove

58 prizes were awarded in Trivia,
there were 3 people who won twice.

So...if this year it was one prize per person, 29 people would have "quit and gone home" out of nearly 150 playing daily. Still over 100 playing daily it seems.

Maybe more would play thinking their odds have increased as well. Radio stations only allow 1 win per month so this would be nothing new....

Tom

D.Oliver

I don't see it as a big deal. Yeah, you could spread the prizes around a little more, but we're only talking three prizes (of couse, I was lucky enough to win a prize in the trivia, maybe if I hadn't I feel differntly).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I voted "no" ... though I wasn't sure what you meant by 'they will quit and go home".

I think if you play you should be able to win, just like if you entered a pen in 5 categories.

AK

What I mean here is, if you win day one (for example), and you are playing BECAUSE you'd like to win a prize---your motivation to play is gone. So, you might lose two more players each day (the two the prizes were awarded to).

Consider we are having about 120-150 people "play", if we lose the prize winners each day, by the end of the month we have lost 54 players for the last day. (Of course, you CAN argue that the people who have NOT won are now more likely to get a prize)

I'm ok with either answer, just want this information available for next year's planning.

UKpenmaker

I think to limit one win for the month could effect the amount of entrants. I think all the hard work that is put into the trivia, we need as many people to enter as possible.
If it needs to be limited what about 1 per week, take this year, you could have won five times.

D.Oliver

So...if this year it was one prize per person, 29 people would have "quit and gone home" out of nearly 150 playing daily. Still over 100 playing daily it seems.

Maybe more would play thinking their odds have increased as well. Radio stations only allow 1 win per month so this would be nothing new....

Tom

Actually 58 people might possibly quit and go home. 2 winners per day.
That's a third of the total players.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Tom

Because we award TWO prizes each day, we would, theoretically lose TWO players each day. The final day was about 130 (IIRC), subtract 54 who won prizes and you are down to 80ish. Is that BAD, or GOOD--???

tjseagrove

Tom

Because we award TWO prizes each day, we would, theoretically lose TWO players each day. The final day was about 130 (IIRC), subtract 54 who won prizes and you are down to 80ish. Is that BAD, or GOOD--???

Forgot about the 2 per day....

Odds are you won't win anything anyway so getting more than one is almost a fluke...example being, only 3 people won twice (about 5% of winners) and nobody 3 or more.

Tom

bubbatww

How much a deal would it be to wait and send prizes at the end of the month? Huge I bet? If not then you win one then you win another you pick what you want and the other prize goes back in for another drawing.

seamus7227

It really doesnt matter to me, I just like to get people to think about it. I didnt win any trivia, but its not the end of the world. Besides, the lottery doesnt limit you as to how many times a week you can win. Its seems no different and I really enjoyed this years bash compared to others!

76winger

I think it would be unfair if one or two people would end up winning something like 25% of the total prizes (admins can determine the upper limit). So it might worth considering a ceiling on how many prizes one individual could win, thus keeping everyone in the game a little longer. But only one prize per person would probably be too low, unless you only had 4 or 5 prizes total.

snyiper

The Lottery you have to pay to play where as not so here. Hmm there is a idea. Possible to have a 50-50 say weekly during the bash? could help out with the cost of doing business for Jeff as well.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
My take is that I like to see more people win prizes - much better to spread the joy around.

If the number of participants goes down by months' end, the odds of winning goes up.

Sure, it's not a big deal either way, but if we're nitpicking, my preference is one win per person in triva (but only in trivia - full participation encouraged elsewhere).

JohnGreco

I think it depends on the goal of the contest. If the goal is to increase participation, keep it as-is. If the goal is to award prizes to the most members, then it should be a 1 win limit. I'm fine with either- it really depends on the goals of the contest.

D.Oliver

It's quite simple. If I'm the winner, then by all means let em win as many as luck dictates. If someone else is the winner (let's say Seamus:tongue:), then its one and done!:biggrin:

firewhatfire

I was one of the lucky 3 and a 1st day winner. So I would not have looked back at it had I been limited to one prize. They are both great prizes by the way.

Here is my take on it. If the forum decides to limit it to 1 win per person then they should post the prizes for the day with the question not after the drawing. There are some on here that do not cast blanks and never plan on casting blanks. Why would I play a game to win casting resin if thats the only thing I can win.

That way I only play games for which I would like the prize. Someone mentioned the lottery(I surely play it because of the prelisted prize)

The odds go up and down depending on groups of prizes.

Phil

beck3906

I didn't play and may not have a right to comment, but I will

Why not limit winners to once within a 14 day period. This would mean they could play again late in the month if they won early?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How much a deal would it be to wait and send prizes at the end of the month? Huge I bet? If not then you win one then you win another you pick what you want and the other prize goes back in for another drawing.

This is the way I did 85% this year. Yes, it is a couple busy days, all day. BUT---I like the advantage to the vendor, so I will probably continue this format---with some improvements.

To clarify, I did all the "sending" at the end of the month. I did NOT do any limiting of prizes--that's not the current policy, so I just send out to the vendors who send to ALL the winners.

Last edited:

darrin1200

To spread the wealth of the prizes, I would limit it to one win in the daily prize.
I would say to keep every one involved, add in a final grand draw at the end.
Since the daily prize is randomly selected from those people that have the correct answer, take everyone who answered correctly and put their names in a big hat. At the very end, have a last draw but pull the winner from all the people that answered correctly. This way even if you never won a daily draw, but answered say 25 questions correctly then you would have your name in the last draw 25 times. If you were to win the first daily draw it would be in your interest to continue playing so that you could get your name in the final draw more often.

This should spread the prizes around and keep people interested in the game.

I just think the coordinators are doing a fantastic job.
Just my two cents.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This depends on how the organizers view prize awarding.

We have about a dozen people who are "planning". Pick a point of view and SOMEONE in that group will share your opinion. The purpose of the bash is to give the members a chance to "have fun" while also reminding us to support the IAP (financially).

Those of us who are there every year are most interested in letting the members have a good time----thus, the questions.

If we already had decided on the answers, I would not ask for your input!!

Most of us declare ourselves ineligible for prizes---so what is decided has NO impact on us.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

As some of you know, I do a lot of sailboat racing. I'm involved with a couple of yacht clubs and help run races as well. Every year (and sometimes more often) both clubs (and others) have long, drawn-out discussions about changing the scoring system for a dozen different small reasons. For the sake of argument, I sometimes recalculate season scores with the proposed changes, and the outcome never changes. All that the continual tweaking does is make the system more complicated.

I think we're running a similar risk here. Only a few people won multiple trivia prizes - let's not overcomplicate the contest nor make more work for the organizers just to solve a (sorry for the pun) trivial problem.

Regards,
Eric

avbill

Any person should able to play at any time. If there is a tie for an answer and 1 person has won once already it price should go to the other person.

I did not play trivia this year. Every time I saw the trivia it had a winner! I view the site in the evening Pacific time zone

ctubbs

I chose other, mostly to be difficult. I also was not too fond of the 'they will quit and go home' part of no. It is the luck of the draw. Last year I quit playing after I won, but I still read each question and looked up the answer. This year, try as hard as I might, I successfully managed to not win. I see no reason to change the rules for a program that is working so well. The people running the Trivia contest put much hard work into coming up with great questions that will make most dig through the information on site. They should not be penalized by having a third to half of the people eligible bared form further participation in the contest. The winners are random draw from the correct entries. Great job, do not mess with it.
Charles

soligen

Well, I don't think it is so simple as the poll options.

You see, some prizes were of more interest to me than others, so I only played on days where one of the prizes was something I thought I would actually use.

Please don't mis-construe this. There is nothing wrong with any of the prizes, it is just that for example, based on the kit-less stuff I am doing, 5.25" blanks aren't something I'm likely to use in the near future, so I'd rather someone else who can use them win them.

Here is my suggestion:

If you simply list all 58 (leap year!) prizes and allow the person to pick any of them, and update the availability daily, then I, for one, would play until I either won, or the remaining prizes don't fit my needs/desires. With the varying needs/desires of our membership, I think it quite possible that something of interest would be on the list until the end of the month, and I would actually play MORE total days under this scenario.

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

...I did not play trivia this year. Every time I saw the trivia it had a winner! I view the site in the evening Pacific time zone
You weren't looking hard :tongue:

Each days trivia had it's own thread and was posted about 10 AM (EST) and ended the following day a noon (EST). There was more chatter once there were winners so sometimes the 'current' thread was pushed down the list.

AK

arioux

Trivia is a DAiLY contest. Each day is a new contest and each day you have two chance of winning if you participate. The goal is to have the maximum number of persons surfing around the site, looking for the answer and getting to know the site features a little better so don't limit the participation. I don't see any problem in this. Worked fine all those years, why change it.

David M

If multi winners is taking away prizes , which I understand . You could make a special prize for the multi winners to be drawed at the end of the bash . They would get to draw for one prize between all the multi winners, at then end of the bash.So the third in line would get the daily prize .
The multi prize would be something special prize just for the multi winners, at the very end of the bash. After hearing about the Kringles , I will put up a gift card for that . ( I need to try them things )

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
During the bash, I set one "bookmark" on my computer to the "Trivia" forum.

IF you want to play daily (or if you are keeping track of the prizes), this will give you all the trivia threads in easy view.

Just a "helpful hint" on how to play trivia daily in the bash!!!

Top Bottom