Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Members without photo albums

If you are a member and do not have a photo album on this site, why not?I suppose it a waste of time to mention an honor system about voting if you have an album huh?[^]
The poll is anonymous, no replies are necessary.
If you do check "other" and don't mind sharing your reason I would be interested in seeing it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Sorry Eagle, I like polls and it's un-American not to vote. I felt like you were restricting my voting rights in your poll. I chose other because I do have an album. [;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by penworks
<br />Sorry Eagle, I like polls and it's un-American not to vote. I felt like you were restricting my voting rights in your poll. I chose other because I do have an album. [;)]

Anthony you screwed up the results already and you have an album and voted!
Now I have to reset the tally!
It says if you do not have an album.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I can't vote AND I can't reply? How the heck am I suppose to annoy folks? [:D]
Evidently you can't read either[:D]
It says no replies necessary not noreplies allowed.[^]

PenWorks

Originally posted by cteaglesc

[/quote]

Just think when this country moves towards electronic voting. I mean if Eagle can go into the sytem and remove my vote, think what our trusted, loyal & honest public officials can do with the elections [?] [}:)] [?]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by penworks
<br />

Just think when this country moves towards electronic voting. I mean if Eagle can go into the sytem and remove my vote, think what our trusted, loyal & honest public officials can do with the elections [?] [}:)] [?]
[/quote]
I think we're safe AnthonyI'm running on 128 mags of RAM on a 6 yr old computer.
Lou- the dope slap is at woodnet.I've tried to copy and pste but I can't get it to show up here.

hockeyref

Still working on my collection before I make an album. I just started making pens about a month ago and have made about 10 pens so far. Most were the PSI slimline starter set with rosewood. they are boring and I'd rather wait till I have nicer looking pens to post. I have 12 blanks (mostly burls) glued up on my bench waiting to be turned. The only problem is I have two kids (4 and 2) and my wife works nights. I come home from work, she leaves and I can't seem to get away from them to turn. By time they go to bed, I just want to sit and relax for the first time of the day. This is only temporary. Oh yeah, I also referee Ice Hockey so I am out the nights my wife doesn't work doing men's games that usually don't start until after 9pm. There isn't enough time in the day.

Ligget

My option isn`t there Eagle, I had a photo album until I changed my username from HISNIBS to ligget, recently.
I want to make more pens but my health isn`t too great just now, and when I do make a pen the photos are rubbish. (I need better lighting).
My main concern when changing my username was keeping what few stars I had built up, not the few photos in my album.[:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
<br />Starting to realize this may not have been as great of an idea as when I thought of it.[:(]

Thanks Eagle, this post of yours gave me the laugh I needed today. Maybe we need a poll regarding how many of the group have seen the black helicopters that the military denies the existence of. [}:)]

PenWorks

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
<br />Starting to realize this may not have been as great of an idea as when I thought of it.[:(]

Thanks Eagle, this post of yours gave me the laugh I needed today. Maybe we need a poll regarding how many of the group have seen the black helicopters that the military denies the existence of. [}:)]

I like this poll Eagle, it touched my funny bone as well [:D]

But there is a design flaw somewhere, hard to imagine, you creating something with a flaw. But it appears you are attracting the folks with an album and those of us that can read, but not comprehend.[8D]

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />

I see flying black Suburbans, does that count, William??

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />I'm bummed. Without casting SOME kind of vote, I can't see the results. And I do want to know why members choose not to display their work.

O.K. try it now, OTHER catogory has different meaning.
There is a purpose in my asking this question.
Check my signature.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I CAN VOTE! I"M SOMEBODY! [:D]
A quick note to folks...if you think your pens aren't good enough to post, take a look in my album and look at some of my early pens. I guarantee yours are just as good and will be just as well received. Also, if you don't know how to use your album, a Tutorial and FAQ page is coming real darn soon! [8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Good point Lou
With first pen pictures upload you can gauge your progress(if you leave them in the album)
When you sell that "spectacular pen for big bucks" you will have a copy of it if you did not back it up on your computer
DAMHIKT

mikes pens

My reason for not posting pictures of my pens is simple. One, I am lazy that way (even though I sold 70 pens on my work e-mail just by photographs alone (last year). Secondly, I take lousy photos (hence my question to Old Griz once regarding how he gets such nice detailed pictures.

Mike

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have about 300 pens in stock-they look like pens!

Everyone here could have turned them.

Eagle, what you have posted is worth noting and, because I have viewed your work, I am interested in trying some of the ideas (i.e. rope). However, I am waiting for the arrival of the polyresin-like YOYOSPIN uses. I expect that, if a pen ever develops, I WILL proudly post it.

IF I had your talent, I would probably post daily. Thanks for YOUR contribution and, IF I ever tbink I have a body of work worthy of note, I WILL post an album. Meanwhile, I am just another "run-of-the-mill" pen turner-OK, but NOTHING SPECIAL!

I'm OK with that!

Darley

Originally posted by mikes pens
<br />My reason for not posting pictures of my pens is simple. One, I am lazy that way (even though I sold 70 pens on my work e-mail just by photographs alone (last year). Secondly, I take lousy photos (hence my question to Old Griz once regarding how he gets such nice detailed pictures.

Mike

Well not so lazy if you sold 70 pens and certainly not lousy photos to sell those 70 pen through your work e-mail, we are here to learn from other who are kind enough to post answers to our question, I did learn and still do now, so if you have 70 photos that would make about 12 pages ( 6 photos per page I think ) don't be shy and show us your nice pens, I say nice because if they was not nice you would not sell 70 .

mikes pens

Serge, I'll try to take the time to put a photo or two on . Believe me, the photos were not great. About 9 pens per picture. I was amazed people bought the pens just from a photo that I did not think was great. The pens were nice though. I keep meaning to put more photos on my work e-mail and I don't. I am so busy coaching basketball and driving my daughter to dance that by the weekend when I have time to do anything I am simply too tired.

Mike

Darley

Originally posted by mikes pens
<br />Serge, I'll try to take the time to put a photo or two on . Believe me, the photos were not great. About 9 pens per picture. I was amazed people bought the pens just from a photo that I did not think was great. The pens were nice though. I keep meaning to put more photos on my work e-mail and I don't. I am so busy coaching basketball and driving my daughter to dance that by the weekend when I have time to do anything I am simply too tired.

Mike

That all right mike open an album like that everyone can see, nobody bite here[:D], well I understand your day timing, Basketball Coach very busy for you then, for the photo I'm in process to get the cheapest lab in the world some people like TOM, DON make post with a good way to do without breaking the wallet do a search on photos and let see your photos.

Thumbs

<b>Exit Poll Survey</b>

I did not vote and I do not have an album showing my pictures. [:0] I really don't care what anybody else thinks about my pens. I think they are <b>Good Enough</b>; and I know that while I'm a relative newbie, I'm getting better. They are nothing special compared to other work I've seen here. But, fact is, I think some of mine are better than some others I've seen here.

And that doesn't matter one bit! - Either to me or to those others! If they are doing as good as they can, that's great. If not, who cares? Nobody else's pen prices are affected by what is shown here, good or bad! I'm not here to compete with anybody, just to learn. If that meets with Eagle's approbium or not, I care not. I respect his work; he does not need my respect, nor I his. Respect demanded or expected is not only foolish but disgusting, in my opinion. If he, or anyone else here for that matter, feels that my input to these forums is meaningless or without merit because I don't post pictures; I could give a Rat's A__! Yes, I can say it plainer than that but I've gotten <u>blanked out</u> here before so I guess I can't type it plainer than that![}:)]

I make pens for fun. [:)] Not because I have to. You don't need my meaningless "Ooohs" and "Awwwhs". There are more than enough of those going around to boost anyone's Ego or "Star" count. [:(!](<b> Don't get me started on that!</b>) And I don't need to show off with a half page signature so everybody recognizes "<b>It's Me!</b>", either!

Making pens is fun and frustrating, just like dealing with people! Some of us take it a little more seriously than others, obviously. I don't make my living doing this so I don't get as intense as some others here. If this "place" is going to institute pen construction qualifications before one can become a member or participate, then tell me now so I can go prepare my farewell bonfire! I cannot tell you how sad it would be if this organization became a group of elitist narrow minded self-congratulatory.....[V]... Nuff said!

<b>EXEUNT EGO</b>

P.S.
While my membership may be tenuous at best, <b>YostLabs</b> is still awaiting those "Free Samples" and the <b>BWSS</b> is still accepting wood specimens![:p][:D][:p]

ldimick

I have so little time to turn that I don't want to give it up to taking pictures. I have posted a couple of my pens here before. Mine are not great works of art but rather nice wood with a nice finish.

Darley

Originally posted by Thumbs
<br /><b>Exit Poll Survey</b>

I make pens for fun. [:)] Not because I have to.

Making pens is fun and frustrating,

just like dealing with people!

Well! nice speach. I like to turn pens and I don't find it frustating, BTW why do you find turning pen frustating? I never compared my pen with people, I think is no sence or you just play a game.[:D]

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6360&whichpage=1#62937

Funny boy you're[8D]

Ligget

I never look at members albums, what I like to see is the pics of new pens just made (show off your pens section).
I look for insperation, new ideas, how different materials look when finished etc..

I certainly DO NOT and nor will I ever judge anyones ability in penturning, my ability is not great but through this very helpful forum I can look to gain tips and knowledge to enable me to make my pens more interesting to buyers.

What I cannot stand is all the bickering and bull**** that flies around in here!!!!

If people want to post pictures, thats fine!

If people do not want to post pictures, thats fine too!

I look forward every day to logging into this site and veiwing all the new posts, BUT the fun element is getting lost in all the EGO`s that need fed constantly.[V][V]

Thumbs

<b>Serge</b>, Penmaking is fun! Pen wrecking is frustrating. I do both from time to time! Sometimes I continue after I make a good pen and then I wreck it! See? Fun and sometimes frustrating!

And <b>Mark</b>, you are just 200 per cent plus correct! The "EGO" is the only serious problem that has reared it's too ugly head here! And too often![V] I feel very fortunate that I've never suffered from that little problem, however![:p] Well, there is "some" BS that you mentioned about moanin', whinin', bickerin', and cryin' that goes on around here that does probably turn away some newbies before they get a chance to learn from some of you older hands. I guess I fell in at a good time after the last personality clashes.. But I've seen some of your work too and it's not anything to be ashamed of either.

My "stuff" is simply so-so just good enough to give away to folks who appreciate it. I do like to look at all you guys' pen pictures and I have been inspired by some of them. (<b>William</b> can attest to that, though he probably will not admit to knowing me now!)

I simply don't feel I have any picture worthy pens or photo techniques to contribute that might help any one else. We seem to measure someone's expertise by how many stars one has beneath their name or how many pen pictures they post! I feel this might intimidate new members who are as yet unsure of themselves or their abilities or perhaps they're just shy!<b> But!</b> What happens when a new member jumps in with all kinds of enthusiam and maybe some new ideas and sees somebody with hundreds or even thousands of posts to his/her credit? Do you think they'll venture forth with a "new" view or question a methodology in the face of such MAGNIFICENT knowledge and authority? Why do people "lurk" so long before they realize most of us really are truly members of a "Hot Air Club?" Some of us just don't have quite so many stars to our credit! Do we really have a membership numbering more than a thousand? I doubt it!

What has brought that many people here long enough to register and then to have never even posted once? Why did we have so much trouble raising that little money for a new server? Active members truly supported the effort and well! Most of those people people stayed only long enough to see just a few individuals do most of the pen work and talk about it! That's OK! So what?! I think more of those people would have stayed active members if others didn't demand pictures or make them feel unworthy because they didn't "post" anything - words or pictures! Showing pictures of your pens and offering ideas should be appreciated, <u>not demanded</u>..... I agree, these demands are not openly stated as requirements for membership, as far as I know; but the comments in the "Welcome" forum leave little doubt as to their requisite nature. I know, also, that most members would never think to make a bald faced demand for these; but the intimidation factor for newbies has got to turn away a lot of new members who've got to contribute so much in the future!

<b>(OK, now Mark wishes he'd never written anything to this thread, too!) </b>

Sorry! I really don't have much of an "ego" problem even if I sound like it. OK, Type "A++ Personality!"

End Rant, Round #2![:p][:p][}:)][:p][:p]

Ligget

I agree with you to Bob, when a new member says Hi, he is then welcomed and reminded that members here can`t wait to see pics of their work.

The new member must feel he is going to be judged by the quality of his work shown to everyone through pics they post.

FOR EXAMPLE: Some members make better pens than me, however, if I could dedicated the same time to turning pens that they do, my pens would eventualy reach the same standard as theirs!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bob, I'll admit knowing you, I'll even tell the members that I don't wear my Kevlar vest when you visit. [:D] (Another couple of rants and I may start!) Why don't you come over and sniff a little Imbuia sawdust, you know how that always calms you down, we'll get back to turning. Just remember, deep cleansing breaths, sharp turning tools, light cuts, no rants, micro mesh, TSW, your eyes are getting heavy .... sleep, wake refreshed .....[|)]

OK everyone, I think it is safe to come out now, just be very quiet. [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom