Pen Stands and Pen Boxes - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Polls, Surveys, and Votes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Polls, Surveys, and Votes Find out what the penturners of the world really think!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a separate Forum just for Pen Stands and Pen Boxes
Yes 82 78.10%
No 23 21.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 73

Default Pen Stands and Pen Boxes

I know I always get blasted for trying to start new forums, but who cares blast away Expanding what we have is all part of improving the site.

For the first time in our Bash history we added a couple new catagories to the contest list. They were well represented and the players all did a great job. They were the Pen Stand and Pen Box contests. To me these are dear to me in that they can add so much to a value of a pen and also show off some extra skills that a pen turner can not show in making of a pen. On occasion you see some of these show up here. But what happens there is no way to archive them and do any kind of search for them. What I would like to see happen here is a separate forum become available just for these two type items. They can be stands for one pen or multiple. They can be boxes for one pen or multiple. But the main focus will be stand or box.

I know we have a forum for other things we make. But that is more designed for things other than pen related. With pen stands and boxes they are pen related but there is no place to designate for them.

I will put a poll up here for one month. A simple yes or no poll and then see if it is worth approaching Jeff with the idea.

I do hope you all take the time in at least looking and voting. No right or wrong answer. Just a simple poll.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

No blast from me.
I suggest it be a sub-forum of SOYP in the same way Segmenting is a sub-forum of Blank Making. No change to the main forum list yet still easy to find.
Curly is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

bump
Old 03-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former Moderator

Photos: 7

John, I have to say that I'm normally one of those against over fragmenting of the forum. In theory this could go into the "other things we make" forum, but I would have to agree that a separate spot for showing off stands and boxes is a logical split. It likely to be pretty small in post count, but would be a great place to have separated.

Fill in your info!! so we can find out if your near other turners!
alphageek is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphageek View Post
John, I have to say that I'm normally one of those against over fragmenting of the forum. In theory this could go into the "other things we make" forum, but I would have to agree that a separate spot for showing off stands and boxes is a logical split. It likely to be pretty small in post count, but would be a great place to have separated.
We really do not know what a post count would be. If we found a home for that Pen Wizard contraption, this is also just as important in enhancing pens. I think we need to push the stands and boxes more and they would get more play here. There maybe people here making them but just do not show them. Give them a place to archieve them. To mix and jumble them with other things we do is a bad idea. They get lost. Making bowls is something all together than making something that is pen related. There seems to be a liking of the idea from the poll count.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I'm usually against adding more forums but I think this is a good idea.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I was a contestant in this Bash Pen Box Contest, and was amazed by the variety of designs represented. If there were to be a dedicated forum, we would likely see even more variety, which I view as a very good thing. Some classes of pens cry out for a pen box that is on the same level. A dedicated forum would likely be a inspiration source, and could spawn even more variations and designs. The "Other Things We Make" forum does not seem to have enough focus to accomplish that. Lets do it!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I voted yes for this one. If it were in the 'Other Things We Make' section, I believe it would get lost in there.

Because it is pertinent to pen making, it should have its own section so it can be easily found. I have spent ages looking through IAP for some ideas on how to display pens and presentation boxes that can be sold along with the pens.

To have a section dedicated to this just makes a lot of sense and a lot less trawling.

Dave.
Hawkdave is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Way to go Dave!!! You are correct. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 31

I've seen some beautiful and creative boxes and stands here. I would like to see them in one place.
Penultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads