Pen Names

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Names

• Total voters
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

All my pens names are changed,it just my way of marketing as different and unique, you just cant buy a Sorrento from anyone except Anthony and can only buy a Villa-Roma from me.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I USE the kit name. I think those who CHANGE the name are MUCH SMARTER!!!

It's a great marketing idea - I have been too lazy.

jcollazo

Since I started this poll I guess I should also put my answer.....

Because I live in southern Calif., I decided to name my pens after some of the beach cities here. the Sierra is now the Newport, the cigar is now the Big Sur, the Euro/Designer is the Avalon and the Jr. Statesman II is the Cardiff.

I'll be redesigning the Turncrafts site in a couple of weeks so it'll have a tropical/beach feel to it and I'll put the pens on the site.

hilltopper46

Hmmmm... local names, huh?? Let see, I could have the 'Elkhorn', the 'East Trojan' (don't say it, I know what you're thinking;)), the 'Mukwanagan', the 'Eagle' (Ooops - could be another no-no[B)]), the 'Big Bend', the 'Waterford', and the 'Rochester'.:D

Yes - this definitely has some possibilities.:)

broitblat

I've adopted place names instead of the kit names as well, but haven't kept the place names local. Since Sierra and Sedona were already place names, I kept those but I use "Madison" for the flat top, "Constantinople" for the Emperor, "Pisa" for the retro, etc. I'm happy to share the whole list if anyone wants it.

-Barry

Russianwolf

I name mine for cities in the area that the wood originates. Sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly where it come from, but it's kinda fun. The name varies with wood, plating and style, so I have a lot of names. For the Irish Bog oak for example, I have already used the name Limerick, Sligo, and one other that isn't coming to mind (It's a Platinum Euro and I will only ever make the one, it was a gift for my Mother).

Ozzy

I name mine after the material used. I have found that the majority of my customers just call them pens and couldn't careless about what the kit is called.

wpenm

It looks like our members are very inventive when it comes to changing the names of the kits we use. I do not change the names for a very simple reason. I can never remember which is which.:D Let's see, do the Baron bushings work for my Von Kruger or was it the Navigator bushings.:D

Chasper

I give them names that relate to the material that I've turned, for the most part they are individual names for each pen, not just each type of pen. For instance, I made a rattlesnake/deer antler segmented cigar that I call a Whitetale Rattlesnake. I make a low priced aluminum arrow shaft and deer antler slim that I call a Bow Hunter. Slims from olive wood are called Genesis 8:11 because that is where the wood was first mentioned in the bible, all other olive woods are called Kings 6:31 because that is another biblical mention.

I also give each pen a inventory number so that I can have several pens named Genesis 8:11, I keep my sales records by the number, not the name or style. Each inventory number record includes the material it was made from, the kit made from including finish, the date made, estimated cost, and asking price.

I keep the names of the kits so when someone orders one that someone else bought, I can easily discern which it is. I am not worried about the customer looking up the price of the kit as I dont make the big deal about the kit, just highlite the labor aspects. I just explain why I use the better platings.

Hello

I only change the name if its something particulrly unique.
I made a few pens out of things that we might consider "waste" called them The Recycler Series
The Recycler Series' "Dusty" was a pen made from harvested/culled dust bunnies.

Freethinker

Originally posted by Hello

I only change the name if its something particulrly unique.
I made a few pens out of things that we might consider "waste" called them The Recycler Series
The Recycler Series' "Dusty" was a pen made from harvested/culled dust bunnies.

?!?!!!! Wow.

THAT might be the most interesting (read; odd) thing I've heard used in making a pen.

Why doncha post a pic here? [^]

LarryDNJR

I might use the names of some roads in the neighborhood I grew up and currently live in. :)

Been thinking of doing this idea for a while.

kennmack

Olympic Penninsula, Washington State, USA
I tend to rename the pens after areas near my location. My pen business is Hood Canal Penworks, after the Hood Canal near my home here in Washington State, so most of my pens take names attached to the area, they are mostly Indian names (Potlach, Tahuya, Skokomish, etc...) as well as the names of local mountain ranges, like Olympic, Cascade, and others. Just a way to connect them to my location.
Kenn

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'd change the names to towns near where I live too, but nobody can pronounce them.......even the locals:biggrin:

Names like Rhydymwyn, Pontblyddyn and Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd just don't roll off the tongue:tongue::biggrin:

Mark

We use the kit name. Someday, when we become rich & famous :rolleyes:, we will call them something else.

This way, when my wife sells something, I know exactly what it was and what I need to replace.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Most of my pens have a theme and are one of a kind or very limited editions so I try to think of a name for each. What's a kit?

I like to use names that mean something to me. I lost a good friend to cancer in 2010, so I named my one line of pens after his name, the Mariano.

I have also used names of planes built in Canada (the Lancaster, Arrow) and also places of significance to me (the Montreal, Grenville and Laurentian).

aggromere

I just make a limited variety of kits and call them names other than the kit names. I could be one of thousands selling a Jr. Gent Twist, but I'm the only one selling a Ligador. Just my two cents worth.

Rfturner

I do both so where does that leave me? I make some changes to pens that I don't like the name of. I like the idea of changing the names to places. I am beggining a series of 100% my designed Pens called the World Traveler Series and they will feature some Pen interesting designs. Those will be quite easy to name

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
All my pens names are changed,it just my way of marketing as different and unique, you just cant buy a Sorrento from anyone except Anthony and can only buy a Villa-Roma from me.

Hey Roy, I thought that the only reason you changed the names was cos you never could remember how to spell Emprereror:tongue:

steeler fan1

I voted to change the name, but since I don't sell my work it doesn't matter. But if I did sell I'd use my own naming scheme.

Carl

I'd change the names to towns near where I live too, but nobody can pronounce them.......even the locals:biggrin:

Names like Rhydymwyn, Pontblyddyn and Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd just don't roll off the tongue:tongue::biggrin:

Hasn't anybody told you not to type when you have been drinking? :biggrin: It looks like you forgot the vowels:biggrin:

Top Bottom