• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Originally posted by lwalden
<br />Hello, my name is Lyle Walden, and...........I'm a wood junkie. I first started collecting small specimens of exotic woods 22 years ago. At first, I thought I could control my habit. A little piece of tiger maple here, a small block of rosewood there..... and then the thrill started to wear off, so I went for the harder stuff- yep, you got it. Burls. I've tried the two-step plan (Texas-style), the three step plan, and even the seven step plan. With the help of my loving wife and understanding family, I was able to get this addiction under control in 2002. With periodic help from my sponsor, I was able to make it through some tuff spots.....until the fall of 2005. Then a new, evil influence intruded on my life...... penturning. Suddenly, I felt I had the justification for my urges- instead of secretly hoarding stashes of illicit burl and spalted woods, I could flaunt them as works of art!! Oh glorious day!! My wife and family even encouraged my entry back into the world of wood addiction. At first. However, moderation has never been my forte..... and as my stash of pen blanks continued to grow, I began to encounter resistance from my wife. After 6 months, she started meeting me at the door every time I came home, in order to try and ascertain if I was trying to smuggle in new additions. Now, I've set up a seperate checking account in order to conceal my illicit purchases (Dario, you'd better not try and back out on our deal for the desert ironwood)from my wife. Clearly I need help- where is Angela when you need her? At any rate, now you all know my name, as well as my dirty little secret............ and I voted "yes" on the poll.

I think you're beyond hope- I don't think even I have enough talent to fix you! Part of the reason for that may be b/c I'm afflicted by the same disorder. I'm just lucky that there's no one to have to hide anything from- I can blatantly flaunt my addiction all over the place and no one can really complain! [:D]

Maybe the problem isn't really the addiction, but the problem lies in people having spouses who they have to hide things from... Now there's a denial line everyone can use- it's not me, it's my spouse. If my spouse wasn't here, there wouldn't be a problem, therefore, I'm not the problem, he/she is![}:)][}:)]

stevers

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by stevers
<br />Why does it matter so much? If he or she is my friend, I don't care if they want me to call them Jim or jimster-jackrabbit1552. A friend is a friend, right?

It appears that you definition of friendship is different than mine. If all that I knew about you was that your name is Steve then I would not consider you a friend. Also; A simple whois search of your website netted me the name, address, and phone number that you used to register your site on May 17 , 2006. So I guess you gave up too much already?

BTW: You failed to answer the original question.

First things first, somewhere back there I did answer the question.(dead brain syndrome) I voted no, The site seems to work well as it is. The pot stirrers aren't that hard to weed out. And I wasn't aware the reason for the concern was to control "spammers". If that is the case, and it would be necessary or at least helpful to control spammers, then do what you have to. Like I said in my original reply, all my personnel info is there anyway. I have nothing to hide. edit, edit.[:D]

I realize how easy it is to obtain info about people. And it's just going to get worse. I accept it and take whatever precautions I feel I need to take, and hopefully they are sufficient.

I cant believe you wont be my friend Scott[:(][:(][:(]. Did I say something to upset you? [:D][:D][:D] Just kidding. Nobody likes me anyway.

I also understand how things can be misinterpreted through typing. Hope you read this as mean it.

I guess it's like our parents used to say, "do what I mean, not what I say."

kylebowers

How would you verify "Real Names"? If I say my name is Bill Clinton do I need to mail a copy of my fake Drivers Licensen or Monicas Blue Dress?

Don't try to be so controling, this is the Internet after all.

Originally posted by jeff
<br />Should we require the real first and last name in member profiles?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by kylebowers
<br />How would you verify "Real Names"? If I say my name is Bill Clinton do I need to mail a copy of my fake Drivers Licensen or Monicas Blue Dress?

Don't try to be so controling, this is the Internet after all.

<br />Should we require the real first and last name in member profiles?

Kyle, even though you chose to make a joke of this, Jeff was serious.

BTW, in less than 5 minutes, I now know your name, address, your home phone, your cell phone, your business name and address, your business phone and your gmail email address. This did not require any programs other than those in the public domain.

My point is that your information is all over the internet. Why is it a big deal to post it here?

BigRob777

I think that there should be an option for some degree of security online. I do think that Jeff, or the moderators should have everyone's full name and information, just in case, but to be required to post that type of information is a bit much. I know that I didn't want my full name plastered accross cyber space, for a few months, but that's just me. There are still psychos out there and I still have to consider my wife's safety. I also agree with Mudder.

A good example is that this is the only forum that has my full name posted.

Just my opinion.
Rob

esheffield

I voted yes, though I wouldn't argue long and hard about it. Personally I'm FAR more worried about my info being compromised by a waiter doing something with my credit card while he takes it off to process or someone stealing something out of my mailbox or trash. And as the owner of a couple of domains, there's plenty of info posted there via WHOIS.

Also, I think requiring a validation email is fine, but please don't discriminate against Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail/etc. users. I pretty much gave up on using ISP email years ago. I've been through many ISPs over the years, but my Yahoo address has been a welcome constant. There are other ways (e.g. "capchas" - though some of those are too hard, even for humans!) that blindly blocking entire email domains isn't really necessary.

At any rate, a big THANKS for all you do here Jeff!

Rifleman1776

Jeff, when will a decision be made on this issue?
For the sake of repitition, I favor requiring real names and verifying a good ISP address. For an example of a forum that is successful with this requirement, check out Family Woodworking
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/index.php

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Jeff, when will a decision be made on this issue?

The decision HAS been made.

Look at Jeff's post at the bottom of PG.5

Rifleman1776

<br />Well, the vote is almost 2 to 1 in favor, but I don't think I'm going to make names a requirement, for the moment at least. I've got a couple of new tricks to weed out the spammer registrations, so I'll give those a try for a while.

Even though it's not now a requirement, <b>I still encourage you to add as much information to your profile as you're comfortable revealing.</b> Remember, only other members can see your profile, and we never reveal your email address to anyone without your permission.

Thanks for a nice, civil discussion on a somewhat controversial topic.

OK, thanks for a reasoned decision. May not be everything I wanted, but I don't own the forum. Your efforts to keep the gremlins out is appreciated.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty satisfied with the technique I've developed to weed out spammer registrations. It takes a bit of time, but so far it seems to be working. I've caught 96 of the creeps in the last couple of weeks.

I notice that a lot of you have added real names to your profile and I appreciate that. I was surprised to find out that Darth Vader is a member! Who would have guessed he has time to turn pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom