Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Some members have suggested that we require the real first and last name to be used in member profiles. The argument in favor of this being that if we're going to have a real community here, know each other's real names is a good start. Currently, we require only a username, email address (which is never divulged), and password. This might help to eliminate some of our spammer registrations (of which we get about 20 a day.)

What do you think?

Also, should we make other information mandatory such as city/state/country?

DocRon

Jeff
I think "require" is not a good word - just my libertarian attitude. That being said, I belong to at least one forum that requires your real name as the user name, listed on each posting, as well as in the member profile. I don't mind especially. There are some people who fear the ointernet and it's privacy invasions, but I have never so far gotten any spam that I could trace t membership in that or any other forum. Listing the full name is a nice touch, but, heck, at my age I probably won't remember them anyhow.

If you, as admisnistrator, will find it important to the operation of the site, then you should go for it.
Ron Chamberlin ( DocRon)

kent4Him

As long as the names are only viewable by other members. If you could set it up that you need at least 10 posts before you can see real names, that would help quite a bit in reducing the spammers.

One issue you will have to resolve is what to do with present members that do not have their names listed. That, I'll leave up to you since I do list my name.

airrat

Most of the profiles I have looked at show first and last names. Are there that many that don't? I say require it if it will cut down on the spammers issues.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jeff,

With a name like Ed Brown the only one more common is Jeff Brown.

So, telling the world who I am still doesn't make me "findable".

I am more interested in where the member lives. When I found out Hilltopper was a neighbor, we got together. Kent4Him has met me at a craft show nearer his house. There are several others, but this is off topic, really.

The point is, I like knowing who I might be able to meet and share ideas - their city and state give me that info.

For those that live in small towns and have uncommon names, the profile might identify them exactly. In this case, list a town NEAR you that has substantial population. IF I would like to meet them, then, an e-mail can clarify the situation.

FWIW (I didn't vote, since I really don't care about a name)

ctwxlvr

location would be nice, granted it does pose more intrusion factors than the name, but even if it was just the state/country that was required it might help bring members "closer" together.

Rifleman1776

Requiring the use of real names can eliminate most of the troublemakers. Being able to hide behind a mask of anonymity makes some folks obnoxious. A woodworking forum I belong to requires, not only real names, but an ISP address for the e-mail. Such things as Yahoo, MSN, Hotmail, G-mail, etc. are not allowed without special permission. Members must be real folks with positive attitudes. The libertarian among us might not agree, but, remember, this is a private operation, not governmental.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As I understand it, being a libertarian does NOT imply that you are unwilling to take responsibility for what you say. The two terms don't seem to be incompatible.[:)][:)]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Shouldn't be a problem unless you have something to hide.

I also think that it is good manners to fully introduce yourself. Or at least have it in your profile. Likewise, I prefer to use someones name and my name till the ice has been broken, then nicknames are fine. If I want to reply to someones topic for the first time, I look at their profile then address them by name.

Dario

I know it will help people like me trying to tie up real name with username. I am very bad with remembering names already and username complicates it a bit more [:D][;)]

My belief too is that with real names, some members MIGHT behave a bit more civil.

I voted for it but fully understand those who vote against it. I would be very interested on the final tally. [^]

I am for encouraging giving city, state, country info...but "mandatory" might not suit others too well.

Mikey

Great idea, but as suggested above, only people with xx posts should be able to view. Also, i think a city and state should be manditory, even if nothing else if required. Most times here when people sell stuff, it can be packaged in an envelope, but I can't stand people on other forums who sell something, say local pickup only, then never put down their place of residence.[:(!]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Good point tho' Mikey.

When I figure postage, its based on distance from me (USPS rules) - makes it easier to be accurate when I know ABOUT where it is going.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by jeff
<br />Some members have suggested that we require the real first and last name to be used in member profiles. The argument in favor of this being that if we're going to have a real community here, know each other's real names is a good start. Currently, we require only a username, email address (which is never divulged), and password. This might help to eliminate some of our spammer registrations (of which we get about 20 a day.)

What do you think?

Also, should we make other information mandatory such as city/state/country?

For myself; I could care less but I have a few thoughts that come to mind.

Who will police this?
How will it be enforced?
Do you have the time to enforce or police this?
How will you keep people from changing names or locations once entered?
How will you know if the "real name" is a real name?
Same about location?

A year or so ago someone asked about a "who's online" mod and it was shot down because admin thought it was a violation of privacy. I cannot see what this would be any different.

I belong to a number of forums and I can tell you from experience that requiring a "real name" does not cut down on the troublemakers because a troublemaker is unlikely to sign up using a real name anyway.

Like I said; my real name is in several places on the site and I have no reason to hide but I believe that this proposal in unlikely to change anything.

Ozzy

I have no problem putting my real name or my city and state in my profile but I understand some people do have that fear and in today's society there is some credibility to that fear.
I think that if only members with a certain amount of post, to establish some credibilty, could have access to member profiles; this might ease the fear that some have.
Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

Randy_

Each member here is going to have his/her own comfort level with respect to the privacy issue. It is probably fine to have a preferred or recommended forum policy; but to <b>require</b> the posting of names and locations might be a little strong. And as has been pointed out already, there will be an issue of verification and enforcement. When we get our thirty fifth member named Joe Smith from Timbuktu, Texas one might become a little suspicious.

For one, I am much more interested in a person's location than their name. It is very nice to know who is reasonably close to me in cases where I can offer or receive in-person help. A couple of forums I have joined request(but do not require) location information and and the membership lists are set up in a database style so they can be sorted by member's location. More than once, it has been a help to me to go to a membership list, push a button or two and find a member who lived in my local area. People who keep their location private are certainly entitled to do so; but may be cutting themselves off from resources. I know that I am much more likely to offer certain types of assistance to folks who I know are my "neighbors."

Oh, yeah. Randy is not my real name. It ia actually John Jones!![:D]

M

Mudder

After an email to Jeff and some careful thought I can see his point and I believe that it is valid. I would encourage everyone to edit their profile, I'm off to edit mine.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by mick
<br />
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />

Oh, yeah. Randy is not my real name. It ia actually John Jones!![:D]

NO, NO, I'm the real John Jones [:D]

Dang, I thought Randy was Jim Jones reincarnated! [:D][;)][:D]

Seriously, I like the idea of knowing who and where. I list my name, and have my location as the Susquehanna Valley of PA. I have no problem listing the town or nearby town since mine is barely a blip on the map. [8D]

How Jeff would manage this I have no earthly idea. Perhaps real names would make us less likely to take cheap shots at each other; only time will tell I guess.

Gary Max

If it helps cut down on the amount of work Jeff has to do-- I also like the thought of it being more honest and friendly.
Sounds like a good ideal to me.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Cav,
Bear in mind, I know your name, you know mine and we both take shots at each other regularly

Since Ed Brown is such a common name, how do you know that I have been talking about you???? (Where is the innocent face emoticon??)

I think it's silly, will fingerprinting be next? We teach our children NOT to give out pertinent info about themselves or there location or families, so nutcases can't find out were they are and kidnap or molest them. It's no different with some adults give them more info for the so called troublemakers to use as a weapon. I havent noticed any "troublemakers" on any forum, it's the web, someone you don't like you just ignore them, pretty simple. If I do business with someone online they know my real name and address, but I chose to give that info out to that person, NOT the World Wide Web. Stores are now asking for your zipcode or and phone number even when paying cash I think it's noones darn business, and I'll ask the cashier for their same info, that usually shuts them up quick about wanting MY personal information. Or i'll tell them use your own info I refuse to give out personal info to a store. If this was the 40's or 1950's the world was a different place and everyone knew everyone in town. I've lived in my house 16 years , and most don't know my name and I don't know theres on my own block. As has been stated you will NOT stop a "troublemaker" if they want to cause trouble they WILL find a way past any real name thing in place as some have already said what is to stop someone from just using a fictious (sp) name ? Email addy's are a dime a dozen you can have hundreds if you want them. I don't sign onto forums that "REQUIRE" the use of my real name, I belong to several woodworking , woodturning , Photoshop forums and some people use there real first name and some use a made up user ID. I just do not think it will do anything but give out just that much more personal information about a person. I personally don't need to hide from anyone, but I feel it is my right to keep my personal information just that ,....Personal. I read this forum on a daily basis , I post now and then, I have bought things from other members. I'm not a "troublemaker" and don't feel I should be treated as such because of a few bad apples out there. And I also don't need the extra burdon of my kids saying-"but you use your REAL name and location" when I'm being a good parent and trying to teach them to be SAFE online. Just my thoughts on the subject I voted NO.

Poppy

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />If it helps cut down on the amount of work Jeff has to do-- I also like the thought of it being more honest and friendly.
Sounds like a good ideal to me.

That would be my thoughts.......besides I am a member on several forums and I use my real name on most of those no reason this one should be diffrent.

bradbn4

Or - it could be in the profile - and it would be up to the member to let out that info be displayed.

I think it is a good idea to register - and I don't mind that info being collected. But I am a worry wart and
just figure if it is displayed - it will be abused.

Bradbn4 - still having fun in colorado

ashaw

I voted no only because in this age of the Internet how can you verify any ones real name. Most people in this forum and TPS are here for one reason and one reason only. That being our hobby. That being said, Yes it would be nice to respond to a real name than a handle.
Jeff if you have a problem with a spammer that group can still join with another fictitious name unless you know their ip address.

Alan

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
The only reason I voted "no" was because of that WORD . . . <u><b>REQUIRE</b></u>

"Suggested that . . .
" "Urged to . . . "
Something like that. But not require.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by CSue
<br />The only reason I voted "no" was because of that WORD . . . <u><b>REQUIRE</b></u>

"Suggested that . . .
" "Urged to . . . "
Something like that. But not require.

Just remember, Jeff owns the site, charges us nothing to join, nothing for access to the library of information, and in general, puts up with an amazing amount of headache to keep the site going. If he wants to require something of us, who am I to object?

cozee

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />He he he...

We'll send each other hundreds of dollars but supply a name... well lets debate that!

Dan Furlano

Waaaaaaaaahahahaha!!!

Phew, now that I got that out of my system. I voted yes. My name has always been listed in my profile and my user name is the nickname I have went by most all of my life. I even have my frist name, city, and state in my signature. I can be compliant when I want to be!!![;)][;)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Malainse

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Shouldn't be a problem unless you have something to hide.

16suspect1.gif

Malainse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom