Mandrel-less, Between Centers, Dead Accurate . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Imported poll question missed, please edit

• BCB method = Between Center Bushings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DA = Dead Accurate

• TBC = Turning between centers

• Dead Drive Method

• Mandrel-less

• Don't care or other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The switch away from using a mandrel by many has brought several referenced names or Acronyms. What do you prefer? If you have another suggestion post it below.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks like we are headed to ambiguity. [:D]

IMO, "Don't care and other" don't know what they are missing. I get the feeling that pen turning, beside being fun is subtly stressing.

This "subtly stressing" part - I read between the lines that when someone gets things working right, but it was a struggle to get there, they don't want to mess with success. For a person who has success immediately in something - they will usually experiment with options more easily.

A couple of people on Lee's (Firefyter's) poll said that they tried it and didn't like it. I would like to know what they did that made them not like it. What is the downside to it other than not doing _both_ parts of a pen at the same time. To me, all of the other advantages out weigh the disadvantages. Plus, if one is just starting off, not having to buy a mandrel or two is cheaper. The bushings bought for any pen except slimlines will work.

It is sooo simple, a lot less frustrating and much more accurate. I have a full Beall compliment, but even with a Beall driven mandrel setup, they are subject to many of the problems associated with mandrels - too tight, out or round/bent, 2 different sizes, 4 different nuts needed.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />Looks like we are headed to ambiguity. [:D]

IMO, "Don't care and other" don't know what they are missing. I get the feeling that pen turning, beside being fun is subtly stressing.

Hank, I think you misread the question. I'm one of those who voted don't care. It's not do I want to do it, but what do I want to call it. I have started turning some pens without a mandrel and will probably turn more as I get the bushings specifically for it. I just don't care what you call it.[:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />It is sooo simple, a lot less frustrating and much more accurate.

Hank - This may or may not be true. I don't use calipers on all of my pens, I drill at break-neck speeds, I never scuff tubes, lots of times I don't even use tubes, I don't even remember what a pen mill is for since I hand sand to square my blanks... I guess what I'm saying is that the reason I don't care is because what works for me may or may not work for anyone else... and vice versa. I don't think those who are employing this technique are wrong any more than I think those who square their blanks with mills or disk sanders are wrong. I just know how I 1) enjoy making pens, and 2) what I can do that is successful. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom