Lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dudstuen

I am looking for updated feedback of what lathes people are using and to why they prefer that particular lathe. I am currently using a Delta 46-460 and am overall pleased with it but am looking to add another lathe to the shop .Mini/Midi lathe for turning mostly wood. Thank you in advance for your feedback and comments.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

I currently have a Jet 1221VS and couldn't be more pleased with it... It has a few short comings, but nothing serious (i.e.; paint vs powder coating, loose VS switch) but love it's power and heft. I also have a Rikon 1216VS and also like it! It's a perfect little lathe w/plenty of power and light enough to take to demo's/shows, etc. It doubles as my buffing station when not in use as a lathe. Can't go wrong w/either company's midi's...great products/service and dependability!

alankulwicki7

I am looking for updated feedback of what lathes people are using and to why they prefer that particular lathe. I am currently using a Delta 46-460 and am overall pleased with it but am looking to add another lathe to the shop .Mini/Midi lathe for turning mostly wood. Thank you in advance for your feedback and comments.

Usually when you get a new lathe you go bigger, don't you? :)

I would think that everything you could turn on the smaller lathe, you could turn on the Delta.

Unless you set up one of the lathes just for drilling, buffing, etc, I would save your money for something else.:)

wyone

well actually I have a Grizzly G0462 and a Jet 1014. I use them for different things. If I am turning pens, my only choice is really the Jet. I love the size of it and it just seems better for the use. For bowls, well unless they are really small I walk over to the Grizzly.

Kendallqn

You state that you already have a good quality delta midi lathe now and want to add to your shop. Why would you want another midi. I would go bigger for a second lathe. My second lathe is a Powermatic full size and I love it. My mini is now relegated to a buffing station. I find I can do everything I could ever do on the small lathe on the big one with the advantage of a bigger heavier more stable base to work from. And I can turn big stuff as well when I want to.

alankulwicki7

well actually I have a Grizzly G0462 and a Jet 1014. I use them for different things. If I am turning pens, my only choice is really the Jet. I love the size of it and it just seems better for the use. For bowls, well unless they are really small I walk over to the Grizzly.

That's really my point :). I have a Powermatic 3520 and a Jet 1014. I do about 99% of my turning on the PM and mainly use the Jet for drilling and buffing.

Since the OP already has a midi lathe it just doesn't make sense to me to buy another midi/mini lathe. Unless of course you are going from non-variable speed to variable speed :)

LeeR

Metal mini lathe will give you extra choices when want to expand your turnings. You can still turn wood on it also.

I'd go for a metal lathe also. Especially if you really do not want/need a larger lathe. I had a mini metal lathe I sold before I got my Rikon midi for wood. There are times I wish I had the ability to turn metal for something special, or to be able to precisely turn a wood blank to an exact, and uniform, diameter by using the longitudinal feed.

I do turn brass and copper fitting for tool handle ferrules, but a mini metal lathe would really open up the possibilities.

BSea

I also have a Delta 46-460. I can't imagine getting anything smaller unless portability was a consideration. It has VS, reverse, and plenty of power for it's size. I also have a Big Dog 7X14 mini metal lathe. The metal lathe is still something I'm learning to use, but it has come in handy for a few things so far. I've just really scratched the surface with it, and I can see where it will be a bigger asset down the road.

When I buy another wood lathe, it will be bigger. My goal is about a year from now getting something so I can turn larger bowls.

Old Codger

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but I sorta understand dudstuen's issue... I have a Rikon 1215VS and loved it, but wanted a little more powerful and sturdy lathe so I selected the Jet 1221VS which is a little heftier plus has a few more features (i.e.; reverse, indexes, etc.) because I couldn't afford at least a $1,000 difference in features (i.e; powermatic, laguna, etc.). Jet/Rikon didn't offer the additional features for a larger mid size lathe or a smaller full size lathe for the price and as far as I know, still doesn't. Non-variable speed lathes are not a consideration as far as I'm concerned but I would like a multi-position headstock and shorter bedways for bowl turning, but I'd also like a new classic 1968 Mustang convertible for free also... Any comments and suggestions are welcome! Safe turning to all and hope dudstuen can profit from the comments!

Top Bottom