lathe brands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lathe brands

• Total voters

spin613

<center></center> I see that many of you have PSI or Jet lathes. i was told that Rikon was a better choice when i bought mine. what type do you have?[?]

freedomhouse

Is it wrong to vote if I am waiting on delivery of a Jet 1642???

it should be in the shop with in the next week or so....

My currnet is a knock off M-Power from rockler....wore the poor thing slap dab out..... It wobbles so bad I bet you I will have trouble turning on a stable, subsatatial machine.....

But I'll get over it........

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
One of the upper end wood stores here in Atlanta uses RIKON lathes in a class environment, and they have been used quite a bit. The one thing that I notice when I go in and look at those used lathes is that when turning with them, they make a ton of noise with plastic, and metal parts vibrating and flapping around. Now I know classroom lathes are not treated with the same loving care as someone who uses it at home, but I always wondered about the quality of the RIKON.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Rojo22

One of the upper end wood stores here in Atlanta uses RIKON lathes in a class environment, and they have been used quite a bit. The one thing that I notice when I go in and look at those used lathes is that when turning with them, they make a ton of noise with plastic, and metal parts vibrating and flapping around. Now I know classroom lathes are not treated with the same loving care as someone who uses it at home, but I always wondered about the quality of the RIKON.

For reference, I BOUGHT my VS Jet from a Woodcraft. It had been used in a classroom for over a year. It's a rock, nothing loose, no vibration - loves the outdoors - mounted on a big tool chest, it makes every show!!!

England14

I voted Jet because that is what I do most if not all my pens on, but I have a couple Deltas and a South Bend and another small one that I don't remember the name of.

Dario

I am surprised Delta is not one of the choices. I thought it is one of the front runners among the mini/midi lathes.

What amazes me is that numerous surveys been done and others (not just in this forum) go buying other (unknown) brands and come crying back later that it is not good.

IF the reason is financial, I can relate and understand but the saying "you get what you pay for" is usually true especially on lathes. There are time tested brands/models, if you cannot afford them, I am betting you cannot afford to gamble with the new, untested ones either.

And yes, the cheaper ones (most of the time), end up a costlier route/choice in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.

MichaelS

My first Midi was a Grizzly,vsi it lasted for all of one pen then died while I was sanding. Sent it back for a refund and now have a Jet. Happy pen turning for 5 yrs!!!

Top Bottom