kit names - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Polls, Surveys, and Votes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Polls, Surveys, and Votes Find out what the penturners of the world really think!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default kit names

Can someone tell me the difference between the Sierra, Manhattan and Gatsby kits? They seem pretty interchangeable and use the same bushings.
Is it merely a difference in name?
DB in VT is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't know about the Sierra, but the difference between the Manhattan and Gatsby is where they twist.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"
NVSB4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 59

The Sierra and the Gatsby are the same. However, the Manhattan uses different bushings and the tube length is different.

Also, The Wall Street II and the Sienna are the same as the Sierra and Gatsby.

The Princeton also uses the same tube and length as the Sierra/Gatsby/Sienna/Wall Street II.
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 49

You have to be careful ! . The original Sierra twist design by BereaHardwoods quickly became very popular, and it has been imitated by many companies.

These "copies" may look almost the same on the outside and mostly use a 27/64" diameter tube close to 2.2" long, but the inside details are often a little bit different (and not interchangeable) and how they operate can be different as Chris (above) pointed out. . Some operate by twisting the barrel (Sierra) and some operate by twisting the top end finial.

I made a blanket statement a couple of weeks ago which was wrong when comparing the Sierra and a look-alike and I was pleased to get corrected here.

The people who know the Sierra "look-alikes" the best, and sell the biggest variety, are the ExoticBlanks couple, PR_Princess and ed4copies ( Dawn and Ed ). . I don't think they sell the Manhattan, or Sienna, but they do sell the Sierra, Ambassador, Diplomat, Gatsby, Zodiac, Ellipse, the Thank-you pen kit, a range of Le Roi kits, ... to name most of them, although I may have missed a couple.

It's worth noting that there is another common Sierra look-alike, called the Mesa which is sold by Woodturningz. . Don't confuse it with the Southwest Mesa originated by PSI.

To make for more confusion, there are yet more variants manufactured/sold by Oriental companies and European companies. . Sometimes the manufacturer and the retail vendor even use different names for the same kit !

And then we have the Sierra Click, the Elegant Sierra, the Sierra Elegant Beauty, the Lucida, the Aero, the Arrow, ... and more ! . I almost forgot to mention the Wall St !

And so, DB in VT, is everything clearer now ?! . Yup, there are different names, but there may be other differences also.

Perhaps I should point out that the Princeton mentioned above could be regarded as a variant of the Sierra because it uses the same 27/64" tube but it has a noticeably different shape ... which is identical to the Virage !

And how about the Pensar, which uses not one, but two, 27/64" tubes, each about half of the Sierra tube's length and joined by a coupling ring in the middle ... is it, too, basically a Sierra ?

I don't think this dissertation is anywhere near being exhaustively complete !!

Oh, just thought of another one ... the Monarch.

And ... the Napoleon, which is called something else by the manufacturer, Dayacom. . It is sold in Canada, but I think not in the US, although Smitty's Pen Works used to sell an extremely close kit which, I believe, was called the Le Roi Elegant Major. I don't believe that ExoticBlanks, who acquired Smitty's business, is continuing to sell this kit. . It uses the exact same tube as the Sierra twist but is more "high-end" having a crystal on the clip (like the Majestic Squire from PSI) and "advanced" platings (Rhodium, Titanium Gold, and Black Titanium). It is, in fact, one of my favorite kits.

Someday, somebody should catalog all these Sierra look-alikes comparing their similarities and differences.

Wanna get your Ph.D. in pen kit identification ?

Last edited by magpens; 05-23-2017 at 11:43 PM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

Good summary Mal - I might also add that the CSUSA Manhatten (available as a BP or FP/RB) is a completely different pen from the Rockler Manhatten which is a Sierra style variant.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is timely for me!! As a novice who ordered 4 starter packs from Peachtree about a month ago, I got hooked and have turned 6 of the 8 initial kits. So...I've got to do a little stocking up and have done some online looking the past few nights. This morning I came to the conclusion that for now it might be wise for me to focus mostly on a single manufacturer so that i'd have a better shot at consistency in hardware while I work on the skills.

Reading Mal's post reinforces that decision for me, which means I can now get down to ordering. Still need to consider appropriate bushings and bits, but by not chasing look-alikes i'll be able be consistent in the accessories as well.
Thanks!!
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can see the Sierra kits from Berea Hardwoods. They look exactly like the Manhattan from Rockler. I have not found the Sierra at any other site that I've been to, although I know it is talked about a lot.
I purchased a laser cut kit from Rockler a few months ago. It stated that it was for a Sierra pen. I thought I would use it with a Gatsby. Lo and behold the inner diameter is different. Now I'm looking for the equivalent kit so that I can utilize the laser blank.
Rockler's Manhattan and PSI Gatsby use the same bushings. Yes, the twist is different but the bushings are the same.
DB in VT is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB in VT View Post
I can see the Sierra kits from Berea Hardwoods. They look exactly like the Manhattan from Rockler. I have not found the Sierra at any other site that I've been to, although I know it is talked about a lot.
I purchased a laser cut kit from Rockler a few months ago. It stated that it was for a Sierra pen. I thought I would use it with a Gatsby. Lo and behold the inner diameter is different. Now I'm looking for the equivalent kit so that I can utilize the laser blank.
Rockler's Manhattan and PSI Gatsby use the same bushings. Yes, the twist is different but the bushings are the same.

As was mentioned above, by Mal, you would find the Berea Sierra on ExoticBlanks.com. It would be available from any authorized Berea reseller--Beartoothwoods, Arizona Silhouette, WoodCraft calls it the Wall Street II.

I doubt the Rockler Manhattan is exactly the same. I don't believe any of Rockler's pens are made by Berea any more.

Last edited by ed4copies; 05-25-2017 at 08:09 PM.
ed4copies is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads