IAP Wiki Member Input Requested - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Polls, Surveys, and Votes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Polls, Surveys, and Votes Find out what the penturners of the world really think!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

View Poll Results: What would Prompt you to contribute to the IAP-Wiki?
Have you contributed to the Wiki? 3 15.00%
What would prompt you to contribute, or not contribute. Please comment below. 4 20.00%
Would you contribute if you knew how? 9 45.00%
I'm not interested in contributing. 5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 165

I am a moderator on a fairly large forum and we have the Wiki facility as well.

After an initial rush when it was first introduced it seems to be now mainly ignored, I don't know the real reason(s) for that.

My own personal reason for not contributing to a Wiki is this quote from the Wiki description:

The content of IAP-Wiki can be updated by any member of IAP

There is not much point in writing a tutorial on how I do things, be that the right or the wrong way, that someone else (who may know more or even less than I) can come along and change what I have described. On top of that I may not even know that this has happened.

Seems a perfect recipe for endless frustration and even argument.

So I voted the Not interested option.

Last edited by BigShed; 05-30-2013 at 03:35 AM.
BigShed is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 4

we have the Library, that is pretty much the exact same thing. Only a Mod or the author could edit.

pretty much a redundant with a Wiki and Library and under redundant is says see redundant
Holz Mechaniker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Jeff, your thought to collect the information is great but the "how to" is the issue. I agree with others that it can't be something that can be edited by anyone. There are just too many ways to do things. I can think of threads about several topics that have many different successful methods to do something, which is the "correct way"? Think about applying CA, how many ways is that being done very successfully! Then there are a few other topics like pricing, show selection, which kit is the "best", etc. Anyone that has been on the site very long knows when these questions come up and in most cases there is no one single correct answer.
I must confess I had never been to WIKI until I saw this thread. If I had a question/issue I would do a search and/or go to the library.
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 57

Default Best Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyrls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Fisher View Post
Some things we can definitely put down as fact, but many others will definitely have to be identified as the contributors opinion or methods and not the only valid opinion or method.
Carl; I tend to agree with you. There are many slightly different ways people have come up with to complete a pen. Not all are identical.
Carl; I've been mulling this over and while you are correct about the opinion concept, but I believe a "best practices" group of techniques and processes can be developed.

Opinions can be labeled as such.

How do we change the world? ARK --- one Act of Random Kindness at a time -- Evan Almighty

Last edited by randyrls; 05-30-2013 at 09:36 AM.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holz Mechaniker View Post
we have the Library, that is pretty much the exact same thing. Only a Mod or the author could edit.

pretty much a redundant with a Wiki and Library and under redundant is says see redundant
Drew; I have seen many different lists of pen tube sizes, bushing sizes, etc, but new pens come out all the time and any list is soon out-of-date. It isn't easy to add additional information to the document unless you are the original creator.

How do we change the world? ARK --- one Act of Random Kindness at a time -- Evan Almighty
Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstreet View Post
I am going to have to withhold any input as the poll questions and setup does not make much sense, it seems to be jumbled phrases lacking cohesion and there is some lack of information that is needed for users to accurately answer with. Sorry, not meaning to offend anyone.
Ed; Not offended; my writing skills range from pitiful to non-existent at best.

I try to contribute to the group as best I can...

Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I sent a private MSG on this to clear up some confusion that I have.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I have to wonder here, and yes I did clear up my confusion about this, so bear with me on this :)

I posted some time ago about bushing sizes, tube sizes and variations among kits. I was told to go look at the library. I did just that and discovered the document was many years old and did not have half the material that I was looking for.

From that I started thinking, what if we had a program, some type of database program, to house all the pen parts and decent details about them, that way members could add records as they see fit, not change other people's records but just add their own, or edit their own. That way we could see reports of specific things like bushing diam, tube diam, tube length, quirks, failures etc ..

I was told to contribute to the library but that I just mentioned is a great undertaking and really is best done by collaborative effort and will only net good reliable results with a greater number of people. It need not be super detailed either or could be as detailed as you want to add in.

From that there is also an even greater need in other areas: take tools for example, supplies, known problems with various things like CA causing cracking, and the list goes on and on.

Library? Sure if one person wants to write and article, say I do one on photography that would be library worthy. Send everything else to the wiki :)

Editing other users posts? Well that could happen yes but that really depends on your approval moderators yes? Submit for approval then it's pass/fail.

Lack of participation? How about contest and challenges as to number of posters in a given period, say month, quarter, section of the wiki and various other things. Make it worth the uses time to participate and make it rewarding. If users can see a reward or some benefit in it then they will come, in droves.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 4

I am uncertain as to the need for this however, I did a quick tour of the Wiki and found some useful information regarding Cigar pens, one of my favorite pen kits. So I was able to quickly find some information that I did not even know to look for.

It seems to me that there are lots of barriers to overcome to make this work and I do think there would be a bit of redundancy and confusion when one can find so much useful info in the library and in searching the forums.

That said, I do like the vision you described Jeff, and I think more familiarity with mechanics would help me understand the whole thing. This is such a great site that it does make be a bit nervous when we start talking about an evolution that I don't really understand very well. The old saying, "If it is not broken, don't fix it!" comes to mind.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads