IAP Wiki Member Input Requested - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Polls, Surveys, and Votes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Polls, Surveys, and Votes Find out what the penturners of the world really think!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

View Poll Results: What would Prompt you to contribute to the IAP-Wiki?
Have you contributed to the Wiki? 3 15.00%
What would prompt you to contribute, or not contribute. Please comment below. 4 20.00%
Would you contribute if you knew how? 9 45.00%
I'm not interested in contributing. 5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 57

Default IAP Wiki Member Input Requested

The IAP has a knowledge base organized around a Wiki similar to Wikipedia. It contains detailed information about pens and pen making. Click on the "Wiki" at the top of the IAP web pages to see it. We are trying to determine how to make the Wiki grow and be a useful source of pen making information. Please see this poll. We want your thoughts on the Wiki to determine it's future.

Helpful wiki pages:
Quick Start shows how to navigate the wiki
Editing Help shows how the WYSIWYG Editor works.
Sandbox is a page where you can experiment with editing.
Style Guidelines explain the styles that should be used in the Wiki

What would prompt you to add content to the Wiki?

How do we change the world? ARK --- one Act of Random Kindness at a time -- Evan Almighty
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 9

You may want to fix the quick start link.

Should be: Quick Start - IAP-Wiki

I would be happy to contribute, but wiki's can be funny things when it comes to opinion on how or why to do something when everyone has the ability to edit the information. There are 1000+ ways to turn a pen and many more opinions on how it should be done. Some things we can definitely put down as fact, but many others will definitely have to be identified as the contributors opinion or methods and not the only valid opinion or method.

Last edited by Carl Fisher; 05-28-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Carl Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 5

If I had a unique method for some portion of the pen creation process, I would certainly feel motivated to contribute to the wiki.

John
USN (Ret)
Carolina Piedmont Chapter
walshjp17 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

My original vision for the wiki was that all our good forum information, which can sometimes be fragmented across different threads separated by months or years, would "find its way" into the wiki.

"Find its way" is the tricky part! It doesn't happen by magic. We almost need a team of editors who crawl the forums, collecting the best bits and pieces of threads and posts, and assembling them into wiki entries. That's a huge job, as is keeping the wiki neat and orderly and properly structured.

The wiki is not and should not be a substitute for forum discussions or focused tutorials. We haven't yet found quite the right approach to make it a useful augmentation to our discussions and library.

I envisioned the wiki as the most gigantic and easily accessibly repository of pen making information known to humankind. I think that within our forum and library we have that information, and maybe with our Google Site search it's as accessible as it needs to be. Perhaps Randy's poll here will spark some discussion that tells us whether to keep working on it, or let it go.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Default WIKI

I see so much info/data here in the forums that needs to be saved, but I have no idea of how to select or edit the good info or even if what I think is good stuff really is. What I believe should be kept could just as likely be junk to the next turner. Decisions, Decisions.

What Jeff envisions is a great idea, just how to put it together is way beyond my pay grade.

Charles

Edit; By the way, when or what ever became of the zip code thing?

Last edited by ctubbs; 05-29-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: failing memory
ctubbs is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Jeff,

Your vision is perfect for what it should be. I would be happy to help contribute to the Wiki. I spend enough time on the site anyway.

I would suggest a small Wiki group of users with a button added to threads (if available through the software) to report posts to to this group for review and possible inclusion. Once information has been identified and agreed upon that it's accurate then one of the Wiki group members can be responsible for formatting and placing it in the Wiki. A sub-forum can be created with access by this group only for conversations related to this.

Last edited by Carl Fisher; 05-29-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Carl Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshjp17 View Post
If I had a unique method for some portion of the pen creation process, I would certainly feel motivated to contribute to the wiki.
John; How about checking out this page. See which pens that you do and don't have a page yet and create one. I certainly nave not done every pen available, but information on bushings, drill bit sizes, tube dimensions, etc would be a good source of information for our community.

How do we change the world? ARK --- one Act of Random Kindness at a time -- Evan Almighty
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Fisher View Post
I would be happy to contribute, but wiki's can be funny things when it comes to opinion on how or why to do something when everyone has the ability to edit the information. There are 1000+ ways to turn a pen and many more opinions on how it should be done. Some things we can definitely put down as fact, but many others will definitely have to be identified as the contributors opinion or methods and not the only valid opinion or method.
Carl; I tend to agree with you. There are many slightly different ways people have come up with to complete a pen. Not all are identical.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 166

I'm also of the opinion that it may not be needed on this site. With all the content in the discussion forums, it just seems redundant. And I can see how multiple contributors changing each others content could stir up some contention.

But that doesn't mean it couldn't work either. I'm sure wikipedia had similar hurdles to work through in their infancy. And I'll be the first to admit I don't know enough about wiki's to even be dangerous. My only exposure to any of them are Google searches definitions of this topic or that thing, and invariable I get a wikipedia link that provides clarity to my question. Often more than I wanted!

My Facebook page , My Etsy Store , My Twitter page
76winger is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I am going to have to withhold any input as the poll questions and setup does not make much sense, it seems to be jumbled phrases lacking cohesion and there is some lack of information that is needed for users to accurately answer with. Sorry, not meaning to offend anyone.

-- In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Design your own Polymer Clay Pen Blanks by Toni, Detailed 'CA' Article
edstreet is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads