I am in the market for a new lathe...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What lathe has the least issues

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chrisjan

Hi there,
I just about had it with unbalanced drive shafts, ill aligned tail stocks which are not center height and a damn VVT transmission loosing torque. Therefore I am in the market for a new lathe. South Africa doesnt offer much in terms of different manufacturers and models. What should I choose and why:
  1. JET 1236
  2. NOVA 1624
  3. Other

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

While your two choices are fine machines, I think the Oneway is even better. If you're going to all the trouble of having it shipped in, then I would go with the Oneway 1224 or 1640.

Jim Smith

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
While your two choices are fine machines, I think the Oneway is even better. If you're going to all the trouble of having it shipped in, then I would go with the Oneway 1224 or 1640.

Jim Smith
My sentiments, exactly!

attachment.php

This is my Oneway 1224! I just love turning pens on it. It currently lists at $2500.

Attachments

• Wood Lathe Oneway 12-24 Lathe (Small).jpg
    Wood Lathe Oneway 12-24 Lathe (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,440

David M

I can not commet on the jet , I have the nova and it does a very good job . Solid machine , the belt last me about a year and a half . I would get a nother nova again - vs would be nice but its easy and fast to change speeds. Both should be solid machines.
David

yorkie

I am very pleased with my Delta Midi Lathe. it goes in revers too. I've turned hundreds of pens on it and have been very pleased. I had a Jet before it but the Delta is better.

If you are doing pens and small boxes and bowls I love my wilton mini. Now I am turning larger items I use a King machinery lathe.

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my Galaxy player using Forum Runner

The Penguin

I have a Jet 1236...and the the thing I dislike about it most - no hole through the headstock for a knockout bar!

you have to remove the handwheel first, then you can use a knockout bar to remove a drive center.

Whaler

I can't speak for any of those listed but I have the Nova DVR-XP and it is a fantastic lathe.

Attachments

• Lathe1.jpg
    Lathe1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 506
Top Bottom