How important is $3?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

When ordering smaller items I would prefer:

• Ship it priority mail, it will arrive faster-it's worth $5 postage

Votes: 58 33.3%
  • Ship it First Class Mail-it may take a week but I will save $3!!

Votes: 80 46.0%
  • Doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 36 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When you order supplies or other small items, we have been using First Class Mail and giving you a refund of $3 (of the normal $6.50 shipping and handling charge).

Now, we are seeing the First Class packages take a week to arrive to our customers. So, we would like input.

turbowagon

It's not a huge deal, but I would prefer the choice during the checkout process if that would be possible.

- Joe

zig613

Ed...

The extra couple of days is no big deal. Shipping to the north (Canada) takes 10-12 days at best. So, I would prefer to get the discount.

Wade

Rick_G

I prefer the faster route but being in Canada it's going to take 3 - 4 weeks no matter which way you ship it. Although I did see something arrive in 8 days from the U.S. once. Somebody in customs likely lost his job over that one.

Curly

Doesn't seem to make any difference how it is mailed to this end of Canada, it always takes at least a week and as much as three. Average is 10 to 14 days. Courier companies are much faster but also cost a lot more and I am cheap! We just have come to accept and expect the longer times.

Pete

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When given choices at checkout, there are problems.
People pick the "cheapest", even if the package CANNOT POSSIBLY be packaged that way.

We could give an option that said, "Priority mail, only, do NOT send first class". But, if we say "First class" is an option for packages under 14 ounces (that's the USPS regulation), people will choose it for 5 pound packages.
BTDT!

And yes, Canadians--we will keep exercising our own good judgement. First class is no slower than priority to Canada.

WITHIN the USA, Priority gets to you about 1 to 4 days faster than first class---or at least that has been our experience--of course we are more likely to hear about the slow ones, usually people only call if it has NOT arrived.

turbowagon

Ed,

you could make the choices:

[ x ] Ship priority mail no matter what ($6)

[ ] Ship first class if possible [refund will be applied for packages under 14 oz.] ($6)

EDIT: beaten by the wolf

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,

you could make the choices:

[ x ] Ship priority mail no matter what ($6)

[ ] Ship first class if possible [refund will be applied for packages under 14 oz.]

EDIT: beaten by the wolf
That's good, too!!!

Knew there was a good reason to ask---you guys are GREAT!!!

bitshird

Ed, this has been something I've been fighting with for a while, when I send out a couple of insert I send them 1st class, but I have often had packages arrive with in a day to the same area, so I wish I had an answer, If a customer had an emergency I would of course send it Priority.

PenPal

Small comment we get priority paid quicker here from Ed than Canada could it be an overall problem between Canada and the United States Customs.

In Australia we can send to main areas cities etc overnight 3 kilos (do the conversion 2.2 lbs one kilo) for less than 12 dollars, have a look a my avatar nearly same size Australia part of Nth America accurately shown our population in the whole country less than your New York.
I sincerely admire Ed for his continual attempts to satisfy his customers,he has a committed vote from me. A small voice tells me some of the people etc some of the time. In retirement these last 14 yrs I adhere to the policy try not to pressure me with your lack of preparation,
or the well meaning friend or relly this should only take you ten minutes.

Here in Aussie the United States Govt put a levy on all parcels from us to America over 500 grams of 9 something dollars to help the US govt pay for added security etc. At 20.00 odd dollars for up to 500 grams do this sum (very expensive huh)

Have success Ed please note we here could equate similar horror stories about Aust Post and USPS.

Kind Regards Peter.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Interesting results:

50% want first class, save $3
33% want priority
17% Don't care

Just over 100 replies.

I believe we will be adding the checkboxes for customer preferences. Keep responding--but there is a trend here.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
First class

Guys - in the USA you don't gain much (if any) time shipping priority mail.
A package shipped today from Delaware to Las Vegas estimated delivery is April 1 for Priority and April 2 first class - my bet would be April 2 for both. Having watched this carefully (with a few exceptions) I ship everything under 13 ounces First Class. It travels on the same airplanes or trucks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A package shipped today from Delaware to Las Vegas estimated delivery is April 1 for Priority and April 2 first class - my bet would be April 2 for both. Having watched this carefully (with a few exceptions) I ship everything under 13 ounces First Class. It travels on the same airplanes or trucks.

USUALLY, you are absolutely correct. Recently, we have had a couple that took 8 days to Texas via First Class. That is what motivated me to ask.

Of course, the Postal Service SAYS 3 days for Priority and, like you, our experience says that is about accurate.

Also on tracking numbers: Once a package leaves O'Hare for international delivery, the tracking number will only show when it left the USA. So, for international---YOUR country determines when or IF you get the package. The USPS does no good in these situations. BTDT!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have not seen that yet

When you order supplies or other small items, we have been using First Class Mail and giving you a refund of $3 (of the normal $6.50 shipping and handling charge).

Now, we are seeing the First Class packages take a week to arrive to our customers. So, we would like input.

I have not noticed that Ed - I use 1st class for anything under 13 ounces unless I can't get it into a padded mailer. I have not had any complaints about slow arrival. I ship about even numbers of packages each way.

I have shipped two packages the same day to the same address (in Canada) one first class and one priority mail and three weeks after I shipped the buyer called and asked about the priority package - said he had the 1st class for a week but the priority hadn't gotten there yet.

Fibonacci

I vote for having a choice. This is a hobby for me, and with one toddler wandering around and maybe another one soon, $3 is another kit or a couple blanks to me. A couple days one way or the other makes no real difference to me.

If I needed something for a rush project for someone, I like the idea of being able to have something between cheap first class and UPS air.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Smitty (and others),
I have a theory about first class to Canada.

I believe Customs doesn't think they are worth worrying about. So, yes, I think a first class arrives MORE quickly than a Priority.

They will both be transported to O'Hare in the same truck, so they are very likely to leave on the same flight!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yep

USUALLY, you are absolutely correct. Recently, we have had a couple that took 8 days to Texas via First Class. That is what motivated me to ask.

Of course, the Postal Service SAYS 3 days for Priority and, like you, our experience says that is about accurate.

Also on tracking numbers: Once a package leaves O'Hare for international delivery, the tracking number will only show when it left the USA. So, for international---YOUR country determines when or IF you get the package. The USPS does no good in these situations. BTDT!!

With the wierd weather in the mid-west and south-central area's this year that might have had some impact at times. It did on some of my shipments to the North East where they've also had a lot of bad weather.

International is a crap shoot - Canada is slow....France seems to be pretty fast...Brazil, South Africa and others steal the packages....One problem with international is that often they hold the package to collect duties and/or value added tax. The problem is they sometimes don't tell the addressee that they're holding it. I have gotten notified by at least a half dozen people in various countries telling me the package had not arrived and when I told them to check customs or the post office there it was waiting for them to come pay.

There is another customs form that you can get tracking on- can't use it on small flat rate boxes or envelopes though. I'm not sure about medium FRB but it is useable on large FRB.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Ed, $3 is WAY less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks, I would think most would want Priority and I always.

Top Bottom