• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Andrew - "ahoiberg"

A 6' bench grinder"" What do you use for cutting tools, the edge of an anchor fluke? Just picking on you Andrew.. I must assume you meant a 6" grinder. [:D]

ChrisinOR

Before I got into woodworking I was making custom knives, so I have a 2x72 belt grinder. I sharpen everything on it. I have to freehand everything as well, as there are no jigs available. I've become pretty proficient at it. Enough so that when customers come into the store to buy new lathe tools they give them to me to regrind and sharpen. I'm surprised more people don't use this method. It's cheap, replacement belts are cheap, you can get belts up into the 1000's, there's no stone to hold heat... But we are all in search of the perfect sharpening system, let me know when you find it...

Jool Tool? Is that what that gorgeous young lady was selling? Honestly I didn't notice![:D]

Chris Nilluka

bobaltig

I use the sharpening stone the most simply because I usually touch up the edge before using. That way the edge stays sharp and I don't have to use the dry stone with a jig. Just a couple of strokes and I'm ready to go. It's much faster than setting up the jig, dressing the wheel, etc. etc. etc.

Bob

kent4Him

I moved to the Tormek because the wolverine vari-grind would not work for my small pen gouges. I also am terrible at doing my gouges by hand. I took a gouge to a Tormek demonstration and after, swore that I would not sharpen them on anything but a Tormek from then on. Haven't regretted spending the money.

garvan

I am still learning to sharpen but got smart and bought a WC 8" slow speed grinder. Although I would love to have a Wolverine, being retired I could not justify the additional expense so I made my own which works well for me. As I mentioned in my introduction post I have learned a lot from all of you.

mdburn_em

I do use a slow speed grinder with the Wolverine System. I also have a diamond honing stone and I converted my slow speed six inch grinder into a honing machine with felt wheels I charge with honing compound. (Ala Alan Lacer.)

lenzer

I use the Tormek with the appropriate jigs for each tool. Good chisels are expensive and very little metal is lost with each sharpening. It was a bit pricey, but I like to keep my tools very sharp and with a little practice, the Tormek is easy to use and does an excellent job.
Bill

epossum

I just touch up my tools on diamond hones. The flat ones like a sharpening stone. Works well for me and saves HSS tool. My tools should last me a very long time if I keep them off the grinder. I will grind on a dry grinder if I really have to. That usually means my parting tools. Being a machinist for years I've ground more tool steel than I could pick up and carry. It's an art that comes in handy for my woodturning tools when needed. BTW, I finally got moved last week. No shop set up yet but I do have a nice detached garage with all my tools waiting to be unpacked, assembled (yes, I saved most of the boxes my power tools came in) and tested. I hope to be at least fuctional again in a week or two.

palmermethod

I use a modified 1" belt sander to get a flat edge followed up with a slotted MDF wheel with tripoli. I do this freehand, without problems, at the moment but may build a jig in the future.

20079405612_sharp01.jpg

200794132_sharp01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom