• Sharpening stones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

Let's see how everyone sharpens their turning tools.

What tool and method do you like and use most?

Feel free to add discussion and offer advice and hints to help others.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bnoles

I have been using a slow speed grinder with the Wolverine jig and slowly trying to convert to freehand with fair results. I also have a Tormek and have found myself using it more and more. Seems like the edge lasts longer with less trips to the grinding wheel for touch ups.

toolcrazy

I also have a wolverine jig with a slow speed grinder and I just love it. Still learning what works best and I'm getting better.

Dario

I don't have a wet grinder...otherwise I use all of the above methods so can't vote.

Depending on the tool I may use a jig (always on my bowl gouge) free-hand on all else. I use both high speed grinder, sander and flat stone/diamond hone.

mewell

I voted "other" since I've (just) started using the belt sander for straight edges like the skews and parting tools and still use the dry 8" grinder from Woodcraft with the Woodcut Tru-Grind for gouges.

jcollazo

I started out with a belt sander but now have a WC 8" slow grinder and a wolverine jig. I'll top off with a credit card sized diamond stone, much like Alan Lacer.

Firefyter-emt

I have a modified belt sander with a jig. My sander had a hole on the belt side that will allow you to use the table with the belt. I had a reversable motor so I installed a DPDT switch so it can start in either direction and built this jig. Works quite nice, but I still have to build a skew jig to attach to it. I am still doing skews by hand.

One of these days I am going to put the sander on a better stand that does not take up as much room. I am also thinking about adding another jig off the motor pulley. I want to run a second belt to a pilow block that will turn one or two MDF disk's set up to hone the edges once sharpened. I am planning to just have the disks sticking out of the base cabinet somewhere and all the rest will be inside. Still working on this gem.. [;)]

BTW, I relocated the switch so that it is under the jig on the stand now. I also switched over to a step pulley and knocked the speed down a lot as well as reversing the direction so that the belt is going up.

chisel-jig-3.jpg

chisel-jig-5.jpg

GBusardo

I use my dry grinder and sandpaper. What I would really like to see is a video of, I think it's Frank (Rifleman), using a one inch belt sander. I am really sharpening challenged I think. Oh, no way am I going to spend 300 plus on a grinder and I have a 6 inch grinder so that leaves out the Wolverine jig [:(]

beamer

I built my own jigs.

First used my belt sander (4x36/6"disc), just like Lee does, and it worked great for skews and standard grinds on gouges with my jig. Then I got a bowl gouge and had some practice with fingernail grinds on my spindle gouge and was hooked.

The fingernail jig I made for the sander kept bumping into sander parts so I picked up the Woodcraft slow-speed grinder. It made the most sense for the money since it had the correct grit wheels on it already. I modified my jigging to work with that grinder and quickly set about making a fingernail attachment, too. Now sharpening is solved in my eyes. (I have pictures if anyone's interested)

The only tool I hone is my skew. I do that by hand with a slip stone.

Works for me :)

Rudy Vey

I use mainly a Wolverine jig and a slow speed grinder (wheels balanced with Oneway system), but lately started to do some free hand sharpening, what actually goes fairly well.
Haven't tried the JoolTool, yet.

Dario

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />I use my dry grinder and sandpaper. What I would really like to see is a video of, I think it's Frank (Rifleman), using a one inch belt sander. I am really sharpening challenged I think. Oh, no way am I going to spend 300 plus on a grinder and I have a 6 inch grinder so that leaves out the Wolverine jig [:(]

Gary,

Why would that leave the Wolverine out?

I am using a 6" high speed grinder and made my own set up based on wolverine w/ my version of varigrind using scrap wood. My cost is about $3.00. It is not in any way looking close to those but it delivers the same result.

What it is is just plain understanding of what the jig does...then make your own "cheap" version of it. [;)]

DocRon

For gouges, I use a variable speed Sears grinder, run fairly slowly, freehand with a homemade tool rest to set the angle, then touch them up using diamond paddle hones when needed. For my skews, I sharpen them flat on a diamond "stone", just like any bench chisel. So far, so good.

wade

I use the wolverine, but rarely have to touch the grinder anymore. Alan Lacer turned me onto using the diamond hone. Now,I hone often, and rarely have to grind, unless my edge got OVERLY dull.

Wade

panini

Finally broke down and got me woodcraft slow grinder with the full wolverine system last november...sure makes a difference with properly sharpen tools...[:D]

GBusardo

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
<br />I use my dry grinder and sandpaper. What I would really like to see is a video of, I think it's Frank (Rifleman), using a one inch belt sander. I am really sharpening challenged I think. Oh, no way am I going to spend 300 plus on a grinder and I have a 6 inch grinder so that leaves out the Wolverine jig [:(]

Gary,

Why would that leave the Wolverine out?

I am using a 6" high speed grinder and made my own set up based on wolverine w/ my version of varigrind using scrap wood. My cost is about $3.00. It is not in any way looking close to those but it delivers the same result.

What it is is just plain understanding of what the jig does...then make your own "cheap" version of it. [;)]

Never thought of that! Dario, do you think you can take a picture your set up and post or email? No rush at all, maybe the next time you have the camera around and are grinding your tools.
It would be appreciated. I don't want to put you on the spot, so its it's a pain in the butt, no biggie.

Tea Clipper

I use the wolverine with a Harbor Freight 6" high speed grinder. I'd rather find a slow speed grinder but the HF was on sale when I bought it ($30? maybe).

oldsmokey

I have the Tormek. I have used every method over the years. I would not spend the money for one. LOML gave it to me about 4 years ago. After I learned how to use it, I kicked myself for not buying one sooner. Tormek=scarry sharp edges.

wade

I have a cheapie Black and Decker 6" grinder, and I use it with the wolverine without any problems whatsoever.

Wade

bob393

I use a standard dewalt 8" dry grinder and free hand it than touch it up with a slip stone. OK results, wish I was better at it.

CaptG

Have a Delta slow speed wet grinder, but seldom use the wet. I freehand dry and use a light touch. Having been a tool and die machinist for the last 30 years doesn't hurt.[:D]

Pipes

I just got the Jet wet grinder a few weeks ago and just love it.Edge lasts longer is easy to repeat the angle and really its my idea of perfect system with Tormak jigs . [:D]

With the Sorby tools costing a fortune these days I love the fact the wet grinder removes so little metal .

Fred

I have the Tormek with a full complement of jigs. I wouldn't change a thing about the system as it makes for definitely "scary sharp" edges when the process is done correctly. (Btw, I am still practicing and getting close to getting things right!)

byounghusband

I use a WC slow speed grinder with a Wolverine and Vari-Grind jig for gouges ONLY. I bought the Skew attachment, but hated it!! I grind my skews at close to a 25 degree bevel, so it doesn't work. If I go back to a different angle, I will still freehand skews. Parting tools, scrapers and teh like are all free hand. I have done bowl gouges free hand like was shown in a recent Fine Woodworking mag. Worked well, but the Vari-grind is much faster....

BigRob777

I use diamond hones, but I used to use my belt sander. I guess if I can't get a tool sharp with the hone, I'll use the belt sander again. I got pretty good with it, when sharpening my gouges.
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

straight up richard raffan style. freehand all my tools on a 6' bench grinder.

still learning, but it's quick and fun to see yourself advance at sharpening.

my all time favorite line from RR...
"Now it looks as though I've made it even worse..."

I've experienced that quite a few times! [:)]

But with the HF tools, i'm not too concerned with a slip up here and there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom