Handle material for woodchuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arjudy

I just ordered a woodchuck tool from Ken (bitshird) and plan on making my own handle. I would like some suggestions on what the material should be. So let me know what you would use. The tool will be polished and engraved so I think it needs to be something a little special.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I used Padauk for mine. My tool is blued, not polished.

For a polished tool, I would suggest something darker, like Cocobolo or Ebony.

traderdon55

I would use a spalted wood. I made a handle for a tool out of a piece of oak firewood and with the spalting it had it turned out looking so good that I would not trade it for any wood that I have ever seen.

Mac

trader don ,I did not know that you liked my firewood so much ,maybe I need to get another piece of black locust from you, so we can be closer to even.

I use oak or hickory I have both with spalting in them and they do turn out nice. The oak was a standing dead tree, that my dad had cut for firewood. I like a longer handle and the oak had to be cut off to go on my lathe 12-20. and price was right free.

bitshird

I just use plain old straight grain Ash, make the handle so that it's 5 times longer than you expect to ever hang the tool over the tool rest, I've never been brave enough to stick my tool much over 3 to 4 inches, and I have an 18 inch handle on it. Also turn the handle so you can almost touch the palm of your hand with your finger tips, a small diameter works well near the rear of the handle, there is no offer for the tool to twist since it's square, and sitting on the tool rest. I stalled a friends Powermatic with a woodchuck and truly wasn't over powered by the torque of the lathe. but I only had about 2-1/2 maybe 3 inches into some dry hard Maple.

Mac

by the way don't clean wood chips off the tool with your fingers!!
and if it slides out of your hand don't try to catch it .
I don't know about the catching part personaly but I did learn after about 3 times about cleaning off with fingers.
have fun with your new tool.

TowMater

I've used Bloodwood for one of mine (blanks were pretty cheap at woodcraft $12-14.00 for a 2X2X24" blank IIRC) and for another I used a pressboard beam. Came out looking like burl. I have pic's at home of some curlies I pulled off of a walnut bowl blank that was at 9% moisture, pretty impressive if you ask me.

Great tool.

Crashmph

I have made several tool handles out of scrap pallet wood. Mostly maple and some quilted and curly maple handles. You would be surprised what people make pallets out of.

Top Bottom