Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What do you think of the "fluid look"?

• It's TERRIBLE

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • It's Bad, but not terrible

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Neutral--live without it

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Like it, may try a couple (if special colors, please comment)

Votes: 35 39.8%
  • Love it!!! Suggestions for colors are encouraged.

Votes: 24 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Ed, I voted I like them, but not that color combination. I have seen PR or other blanks that some of you guys/gals make at home that look more stunning that those in your pic.. Can you share that what attracted you to this type of blank, was it that they are from Italy or just the name, or the material and Roy said that we may be able to sell them at a higher price? Now, if you can Italian wrapped leather casted in PR then yes everyone knows they are worth that kinda money for their fine quality leather.

From what I hear from other members here that's obvious that your wife makes real nice blanks that your average shoppers like them. Unless, like you said you want to tie up your money and not move the blanks that much, then I offer you and Dawn just use that money and take a vacation to San Antonio, I'll bet you; you two will love to spend that money and I get to meet you in person ( man free advertising for San Antonio tourism Industry,huh) too. Wait to hear from you.

cnccutter

Ed I really like the look, and I buy blanks from you now. I don't see the 10 bucks being a deal breaker for me. I'd definitely try them. I guess the proof would be in the long run and seeing if the people would buy the pens.

Erik

SteveG

My vote: Love it. I think the appearance of the blank is unique, and would complement what you already offer. I make pens (using kits, and including single closed end) because I love to do it, and I make my living doing it. Most of my sales are medium-to high-end kit pens, so if a blank costs in the range of $5 to $15, it makes no difference to me, as long as it sells. Repeat: as long as it sells. I think these will sell, with the right color combo. One color suggestion is to emulate the venerable white/cream/medium-brown found in some bakelite. I will buy some and give them a try if you decide to go for it.

snyiper

The colors are kind of subdued for my taste they just dont "POP". Now as a newer turner it is out of my reach talent wise I would not try a 10.00 blank on the pens I make at this time. I would prefer some of Dawns flashy ones over this. I also agree they would look awesome on higher end pens which some turners have not reached yet.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Keep em coming!!

One comment though, Dawn is not going to STOP making blanks if I get additional acrylics!!!!

The "Italian acrylic pen" purchaser is a collector--wouldn't touch PR pens, IMO!!!

BUT, he WOULD spend $100 more for Italian material!!

Only if you know how to sell it, though. AND if you are talking to the right guy.

Mapster

A little bumble bee action of yellow, black, and maybe silver. I would buy it. One with orange and black with white maybe also.

Tanner

I love it!! I like orange/black, light blue/black, yellow/black, red/white/blue, red/yellow, black/tan, blue/cream. I like contrasting colors.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hoping to get more comments, particularly color suggestions.

At the end of August, I will be doing something on this, I don't yet know what. (the plant is on vacation for the month of August, so no need to hurry!!)

witz1976

I like it, and may try one or two. $10 for an acrylic sounds really steep, but I keep an open mind, and heck I spend this much on Trustone. I would have said it possibly been a little too high, but I had a (very good) rash of sales of $100+ pens. So why the heck not. I think some nice metallics, similiar to the M3 blanks would be interesting.

steeler fan1

I like it. I don't have any particular color combo's in mind but like the contrasting color concept, I beleive someone else mentioned this. Also like a little matallic. Looking for the WOW effect, really jazzy:RockOn:.

Carl

Brooks803

Do I like the idea of 3-4 color blank? YES, as long as there is some contrast to make each color stand out.
Do I like the flow of the swirls? Oh Yea!
Is it too pricey? Not really compared to the potential profit if paired with the right kit to the right customer.

You and Dawn (more likely dawn :tongue:) have great talent for what colors work well with each other so I have no fear as to the color schemes you'll offer. I do have a question that I didn't see as of yet. Did you paint your tubes and is the blank the least bit transparant (kinda like bakelite)? I'm asking because with so many colors if the blank is transaparant the color you'd have to paint the tubes and inside the blank will play a big factor. You could change the entire color layout depending on what color you paint the tubes. This isn't entirely a bad thing, it could provide many with an artisitic possibility like with what I've seen Roy do with his bakelite but could also turn others away for fear of messing up an expensive blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Brooks,

NO, this one is opaque enough that there is no need to paint. And Yes, we have the "see through with Roy in mind" also on the drawing board. Yes, it can be "made in Italy". Again cost is a major consideration. This project will evolve as we see the trends.

And, yes Dawn has a GREAT eye for color. When you see a 2" x 3" square, it doesn't always tell you what to expect!! She picked THE color shown---much to her surprise when she saw it on a pen!!!!

Thanks for the comments, keep em coming!!!

tim self

$10 seems to pricey? How about $20 for bakelite or $30 for M3. You aren't gonna sell many $100+ pens with a $10 kit and $4. blank. People want unique!

Hucifer

Freakin' cool. I would expect the combinations could be endless, the only thing I would worry about would be colors blending into something not intended... but - them's the hazards of auto racin'...

OKLAHOMAN

Ed, I think you and Dawn know I would prefer nice subdued swirled colors, for the upscale user..... tans, browns,....blacks, greys.....two tone deep blues I just don't think these type of blanks need flash. Thats my NSHO....

Top Bottom