Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What do you think of the "fluid look"?

• It's TERRIBLE

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • It's Bad, but not terrible

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Neutral--live without it

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Like it, may try a couple (if special colors, please comment)

Votes: 35 39.8%
  • Love it!!! Suggestions for colors are encouraged.

Votes: 24 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Fluid motion" look--no poll, computer and I did not mesh.

Recent samples have a "fluid motion" type look.

I'd like to know how this would be received. Colors could be any combination of 3 or 4, I'm more interested in your "take" on the general look.

Pictures are of grey, black, gold, white combo=--again, the colors could be anything, just what say you on the "concept"

Thanks for voting and any comments you might leave!!

Attachments

• demo 1.jpg
    demo 1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 257
  • demo2.jpg
    demo2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

keithkarl2007

Lets face it, anything you guys mix up looks pretty cool. I just turned that Merlins Magic blank yesterday and it looks awesome.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

This is made in Italy. Colors would be truly exclusive to Exotics. We would have it made in 20-22mm sheets. It would be pricey--likely $10ish a blank.

I'd like to know how this would be received. Colors could be any combination of 3 or 4, I'm more interested in your "take" on the general look.

Pictures are of grey, black, gold, white combo=--again, the colors could be anything, just what say you on the "concept"

Attachments

• demo2.jpg
    demo2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 268
  • demo 1.jpg
    demo 1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

aggromere

I like it. Lately I've being straying away from some of the more vivid colors and I like the color combos you posted.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This particular color combo leaves me flat but I think a different blend of colors would make a world of difference to me.

Mike

OKLAHOMAN

Now we all need to realize Ed just had another birthday and at his age sometimes is a little forgetful, so forgive him his second posting, that or he wants to see if we change our opinon....

jskeen

It's "interesting" for a fact. I'm not sure it is an "improvement" over the normal multicolor swirl blanks, but it is different and equally attractive. I wonder, is that just a different technique that Dawn has cooked up using the normal materials? Or a new import that is made somewhere else. How would that look compared to a "normal" multicolor blank made the "regular" way, but with the same colors? Perhaps similar, but with enough contrast to work well as a "set"? Hmmmm, vewwy Intewesting.

keithkarl2007

Now we all need to realize Ed just had another birthday and at his age sometimes is a little forgetful, so forgive him his second posting, that or he wants to see if we change our opinon....

Yeah, i don't like it as much now :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I like them. Will the colors be limited to specific shades?, or could I order specific combinations?

Edit in: Never mind. Just saw the other thread.

Last edited:

SDB777

I voted neutral.....why?

Well, I can only imagine how much these are going to cost! Anymore, I have to cut myself off at $4 for anything acrylic, and I might can go $6.50 for real wood.

Sorry, someone with deep pockets might be able to, but it'll be out of the 'normal guys' price range. JMHO, please don't be offended.

Scott (trade you a kidney) B

Yes, yes, yes! Does that count as 3 votes?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I voted neutral.....why?

Well, I can only imagine how much these are going to cost! Anymore, I have to cut myself off at $4 for anything acrylic, and I might can go $6.50 for real wood.

Sorry, someone with deep pockets might be able to, but it'll be out of the 'normal guys' price range. JMHO, please don't be offended.

Scott (trade you a kidney) B

I am ABSOLUTELY NOT offended!!!! This is the type of feedback that is SO MUCH MORE VALUABLE BEFORE I get a couple hundred expensive blanks that I can't sell!!!!!

THANK-YOU!!!!!!!!!

toddlajoie

I have to agree, after getting a bunch of your "normal" blanks. These are nice and all, but I'll take 2 or 3 of your normal ones over one of these any day... The biggest benefit of the more expensive blanks is there would be more room in the package for "surprises"...:smile-big:

Maybe it's just the color combo on this sample. I'm not that great on visualization, so it's hard to imagine it with different colors, but I think pearl/metalics would kick it up tremendously...

TomW

I'd pass. I prefer a pattern that flows through the whole blank. This one is too random for me.

Tom

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ok.. There I voted... and here is a couple of my thoughts (I had the advantage of seeing the pen in person).

1) The colors don't help the sale (the swirl was nice, but the combination left something to be desired).
2) I think one of the other color sets may work MUCH better to show the swirl.
3) This stuff is really cool, but I don't think we talked price. At that kind of a premium price on EB, you're gonna REALLY have to work hard to beat Dawns combinations.

Dean

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It might have possibilities in metallics, Gold,silver,copper, in the color and style that mimick Mokume'.

Mike

OKLAHOMAN

Just a note to those that might think these are out of reach $$$wise, these are the type of pen blanks that some of the most expensive vintage pens are made of. Placing them on better plated Jr. series components you just might be surprised how well them might sell and at the same time increase your profit level.

RyanNJ

I would prefer to get 3 of your in house blanks for the same price.
As stated above, I like them but they are out of my price range. I don't mind paying for trustone but for an acrylic i dont see my self paying $10 when i can be just as happy with something for $3.75
Just my take

RyanNJ

Just a note to those that might think these are out of reach $$$wise, these are the type of pen blanks that some of the most expensive vintage pens are made of. Placing them on better plated Jr. series components you just might be surprised how well them might sell and at the same time increase your profit level.
I did not think of that before i voted. I understand what you are saying though, pair a higher end acrylic with a higher end kit

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Roy,

These don't change penmakers' habits!! I know you will sell it---probably near $500, but I am curious what the "average" penmaker's take is.

So far its 50% positive, beats what I expected!!!

BTW, I personally don't care for these colors, but I DO know I could make money with them on the craft show circuit!! (Yeah, the "itch" is gettin worse!!)

Please everyone give HONEST answers, I have no problem with "NO" as an answer!!

Old Lar

I like them, a little pricey for my clientele, but I may try a few to see where they go. I lke something with gold or bronze in them.

Top Bottom