Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Carbara/Atlas etc.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (I will explain below)

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters

JBCustomPens

Hey everyone,

What was your FIRST style of pen you made? The definition of made here is the first pen you put together that can write. Thanks.

If you could describe with maybe a picture if you have one that would be best. Don't forgot to write a description. :)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

My first pen was a slimline dressed in some "Holiday swirl" #33 Inlace acrylester. I broke the writing portion of it one day after I had made it, but I still have the cap here. Even the cap has some parts of chip out, but your first pen is never perfect.

Brooks803

My first pen was a slimline. I took a class at a local turning place and made my first one out of wood (i have no idea what type). Then less than 24hrs later I was there again turning my first acrylic pen (class was taught by Hans) and I've been addicted ever since. To think it hasn't even been a year yet.

Attachments

• J's first pens.jpg
    J's first pens.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 141

kinggabby

My first pen I ever did was from a PSI kit redwood slimline it was straight oversized ( Fat ) for a better grip. and had a few grooves cut it for grip have it around here somewhere the ink exploded and ruined the finish

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is my first pen and, I think, the first picture I posted on the IAP. The pen is in my office. Cocobolo slimline with friction polish finish. TSW added over the years. Turned 7/30/2004

attachment.php

Attachments

• FirstPen-A.JPG
    FirstPen-A.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 397

tim self

Bought a 30 pack of slims from PSI and have never looked back (2 yrs ago next month). Gold plating on pecan. Nothing special but worked and LOML carries it in her purse. I have took it apart since and redone the CA. She is my best salesman and actually just called telling me she sold my first completed pheasant EB sierra!.

Last edited:

Mark

Slimline made of Curly Maple (because I was told everyone starts with slimlines).
I attached my very first pen. Not that I'm really proud of it, but no pic, it didn't happen...

It was my first picture too, so bear with me... :biggrin:

That pen probably took me longer than any I've made since. I was so nervous and wanted to be very, very careful with the tools...

Attachments

• Slimline 0001.jpg
    Slimline 0001.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

toddlajoie

My first pen was a straight slimline, made with scrap Ipe from my deck, finished with some friction polish. It was promptly confiscated by my wife who absolutely refuses to let me "rehab" it to a better fit, and CA finish...

Craftdiggity

Mine was an African Blackwood Slimline. #s 2,3, 4, 5 were also Slimlines: Cocobolo, Yellowheart, Ebony, and Bubinga. They were all turned one after the other the day I got my lathe, but the AB was the first one I put together,

atomic ray

All the ones I have made have been fountain pens, made from a slab of red grenadillo from Cuba, for fellow artists...hopefully this counts :RockOn:

I have been considering all the types available and to be honest I am more interested in the materials and the action of creation more so than the end result...but if I had to choose my first encapsulated pen, it would be anything other than a slimline...it seems to be too simple for my tastes.

:bananen_smilies051:

Last edited:

judgesawdust

Sierras

My first pens by myself were about 15 Sierras that I made as x-mas gifts for my staff at work. Shown in the photo are an unknown burl, walnut, cocobolo and bocote (L to R). Finished with CA and Hut plastic polish.

** The pen on the right is my very, very first pen turned at a Woodworking Show at the Craft Supplies booth around Sept '09. It was finished with only Ren Wax and has been used consistently with no sign of wear. **

Attachments

• 12 04 09_0211.jpg
    12 04 09_0211.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 117

tomcatchevy

My first 2 were 24K gold slimlines with genuine mahogany sanded to 600 grit and a shellawax :eek: finish. My wife has #1 and I got #2. They were a bit undercut and the shine didn't last but that's how you learn.:)

LarryDNJR

My first pen is..

A Gold Slimline with Redheart done at a Woodcraft Class in Columbus, OH during February 2010 taught by Chuck Kemp - Pens!, Pens!, Pens!

Attachments

• 1st Pen_01_REDO_IMG_8083.jpg
    1st Pen_01_REDO_IMG_8083.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 120

mick

My first two pens, turned on my ShopSmith, sanded with automotive sandpaper and finished with walnut oil.

Attachments

• 1_first2pens.jpg
    1_first2pens.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 108
Top Bottom