Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Within a week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andrew_K99

I am just curious to know what everyones expectations are for the response time of an email sent to a store/manufacturer.

Assume the email went through and it isn't a case of a SPAM filter blocking anything.

Also, assume response time is within business hours.

This question isn't based on experience with any of the IAP vendors I have dealt with, most of them seem to be awake 24/7. This is based on my current impatience waiting on a response from a manufacturer.

AK

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Just curious, is the manufacturer in the US or another country? I've sent messages to places in China and Japan and NEVER gotten a response. After multiple attempts. I can only assume they don't have any "english speakers" and didn't care to try and translate my messages...

Andrew_K99

Just curious, is the manufacturer in the US or another country? I've sent messages to places in China and Japan and NEVER gotten a response. After multiple attempts. I can only assume they don't have any "english speakers" and didn't care to try and translate my messages...
They are in Canada. So there should be no translation issues.

glycerine

They are in Canada. So there should be no translation issues.

eh, what are you talking aboot? :biggrin:

1080Wayne

Think a lot of factors enter into response time . If you sent it Friday afternoon on a long weekend with Monday holiday , you would unlikely get a reply before Tuesday , and maybe Wednesday or Thursday . Size of business also enters into it . Large businesses have staff dedicated to marketing , and should be on top of customer queries fairly fast .
Small businesses may be all over the map . Some will literally work themselves to death 24/7 , whereas others recognize that there is a bit more to life than work . Some may block out several days for manufacturing, then several more for marketing .
People get sick and have accidents . Small businesses may not be able to afford the luxury of back-up personnel .
And e-mails don`t always go through . I would suggest sending another .

terryf

Think a lot of factors enter into response time . If you sent it Friday afternoon on a long weekend with Monday holiday , you would unlikely get a reply before Tuesday , and maybe Wednesday or Thursday . Size of business also enters into it . Large businesses have staff dedicated to marketing , and should be on top of customer queries fairly fast .
Small businesses may be all over the map . Some will literally work themselves to death 24/7 , whereas others recognize that there is a bit more to life than work . Some may block out several days for manufacturing, then several more for marketing .
People get sick and have accidents . Small businesses may not be able to afford the luxury of back-up personnel .
And e-mails don`t always go through . I would suggest sending another .

Then these small businesses you mention will fail. Ask any MBA grad worth his/her salt, communication is the single most important factor to a successful business model. If you fail to communicate properly with prospective clients they will go else where.

SDB777

Choose the first option, although a "Less then 24hr option would have fit better).

Sometimes my real job gets in the way. I can't access the main computer at home, and often need to wait until I can find the information that is being requested....but I answer everyone within 24hr(most of the time within 8-10hrs).

Scott

BigShed

I look at answering emails the same as answering the phone. If I don't have an answer straight away I will respond and tell the person I will get the information and get back to them, but at least they know I did receive the email.

There is nothing worse than not responding to an email within a reasonable time, like was said above communication is the single most imprtant thing in business.

I sent a question to a seller asking when an item would be back in stock, that was 4 days ago, still no answer.
If he can't be bothered answering a simple enquiry (from a repeat customer I might add) I am unlikely to return.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Folks, please remember that e-mail is not 100%! I have had numerous times where someone said they e-mailed me and I never got it, even in my spam folder. I have also had many times where I replied to an e-mail and the customer never received my reply.

Just a few months ago, I had a customer e-mail me about something. I replied and then a few days later, he e-mailed again about the same thing. I replied again and after a couple times of this, I decided to look up his number and call him since it was apparent he was not receiving my e-mails.

Also, due to being on the internet, I get at least 200 spam e-mails per day on my various different accounts. Fortunately, I have ISP level spam protection that filters it out but sometimes, it filters out stuff it should not.

Thanks to the spammers, e-mail is not completely reliable so please, if you have sent an e-mail to a reliable vendor and they have not replied, don't jump to conclusions that they don't care! Try again or give them a call!

Lucky2

I will usually wait for up to 48 hrs for a reply, and then I will resend the e-mail a second time and on that one I am only willing to wait for up to 24 hrs. After the two messages have been sent and no reply gotten, I then try to find out if there is a good reason for no reply. I then try to do business with someone else, that is unless I have already sent money to first one. Then I will do whatever I can to either get my money back, or have the problem resolved to my satisfaction. But, let me say this, I always do my best to give any business the benefit of the doubt, and every chance to make things right before I raise a stink. I have been in business myself for many years and I do know that things can be missed, but there is a limit to how far I will let things go.
Len

its_virgil

If email response time doesn't suit you then use the phone or change vendors. I don't understand why we, including me at times, expect others to beat to our drum beats. I know some vendors/business owners who do not answer emails but respond to phone calls in a very timely manner. Others don't return phone calls but respond to emails quickly. I know which ones to call and which to email. I didn't vote because, in my opinion, most polls are useless. I intend nothing personal but just stating a personal opinion. I hope you like your poll results.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom