• Model 500X

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Model 350X

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Model SB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

stonepecker

My birthday is coming up this month and the wife has asked what I need in the shop. I told her I would like a Drill Doctor.....:biggrin:

She came back today to ask me which one? I really don't know how the models differ. ..... :confused:
Any advice would be helpfull.

Thanks, Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brh

Hi Wayne. I have the 750x. Opted for the greater capacity because as a carpenter, I use 3/4 bits regularly. As far as pen making goes, it can handle the 13 and 14mm bits I use for "kitless." Great tool, you can't go wrong. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Brian

NittanyLion

Go with the 750x if you can afford it. If not, and you do not use a lot of large bits, the 550 should be fine. I still like to sharpen larger bits by hand on my benchtop sander.

I own the "classic" 750(see pic) and have used it hard for almost 20years....only replacing the wheel a few times. It's been used hard and has held up well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 208

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Can you ask her for two? :biggrin: I've always wanted one of those but, never have brought myself to the purchasing point :redface: They are proud of them :frown: Congratulations!

TonyL

I just bought the 750X. I have used it 3 times and enjoyed great results. It appears that the model numbers correspond to the bit diameter capacity.

Here's the company's website: Drill Doctor

I have found their technical support live chat to be excellent. They can help you decide.

The DD doesn't sharpen all types of bits - for example, brad points. It will sharpen them, but remove the brad.

Jim Burr also did a great job of collecting resources on the subject.

Enjoy your purchase and happy birthday.

Paul in OKC

Afraid I am still the fly in the ointment. I wouldn't own one. However they do decent for wood, I have never got one to put a metal drilling grind on a bit. We have one at work and have played with it several times to no good. Had an old one, bought a newer model. Same result for us.

TonyL

Your experience is just as valid as anyone else's. That's the "beauty" and value of soliciting the opinions of others :).

jjjaworski

Got a 750 for home and talked the boss into getting one for work. I like the added bit size range for what i do.

Best pricing I found was on Amazon .com.

Whatever model you get you will love it. A fine machine that does a great job quickly.

Mortalis

My wife just bought me the 750x for my Christmas gift this year. I wanted to be able to sharpen the larger mm bits for pens and the ability to "split" points that helps to center the bit is a huge plus in my book. The 750x can also put the wider angle needed for metal bit sharpening as well a spade bits.

As far as hand sharpening goes, I worked in machine shops almost all my life and no matter how much I tried I just couldnt trust a drill bit sharpened by hand all the time. Sharpen one flute just a bit more than the other and you have a bit that will drill off center or wear prematurely. When drilling long blanks, that could mean the difference between a successful turning or not.

$100 - $150 is cheap money instead of buying new bits all the time let alone the time it takes to run to the local drill bit store to get one.

Top Bottom