Craziest thing you have heard at a show!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Don't have any funny pen stories but at the last craft show I did, a young lady was standing in front of my table. picked up one of the pointed style bottle stoppers and started "writing in the air" as if to get the feel of the "pen".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

When I sold bottle stoppers, a long time ago, at the first show where I had them several people picked them up, tried to write with them and then asked "how do you get the ink out?" At the next show, I had a empty wine bottle with a stopper in it. Someone took the stopper out of the bottle, tried to write with it and asked "how do you get the ink out?" I am always stunned by how stupid some people can be.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by gerryr

When I sold bottle stoppers, a long time ago, at the first show where I had them several people picked them up, tried to write with them and then asked "how do you get the ink out?" At the next show, I had a empty wine bottle with a stopper in it. Someone took the stopper out of the bottle, tried to write with it and asked "how do you get the ink out?" I am always stunned by how stupid some people can be.

You did a show in Texas???? :D:D[}:)][}:)];);););)

chuck1250

I have had bottle stoppers called everything from pens to tops, to gear shift knobs to light bulbs but the funniest question I have had is a guy came up to our table.. checked the antler pens out real hard and finally asked "Do you make the antler yourself?" I thought this was the best one yet til the guy picked my card up read it several times then asked "Do you do meat processing too?"

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
At my last craft show a lady came up the the booth and said that she wanted a Cross pen.I told here that that was a brand name and that I didn't make Cross pens but I did have some Cross refills that go into the pens I make.She insisted that she wanted a cross brand pen.I then told here my name is Ron and that I make Ron's Pens.She went off in a huff! Guess I need to change my name:D:D

Chasper

We were at a show this past weekend, a Christmas themed show. They has a Santa wandering around the show. Outside there was a pen with a couple raindeer. In the show a family with a couple kids in the 5-7 years age range came by and the father pointed out the deer antler pens as he told the kids that I had killed a raindeer to make pens. The little boy started crying, and the father laughed. Ten minutes later the little boy came back to the booth and in his most disturbed and angry voice said to me, "you killed Rudolph."

I took the time to explain to the little boy that the antler was shed antler from whitetale deer and to call Santa over to assure the little boy that none of his raindeer had been killed. Its a strange world where you are required take a hunter education class and get a license to shoot a deer, but any any idiot can father a child.

Milpaul

These stories really make me feel better. I thought I had the scariest customers, now I realize they are everywhere! [:eek:)] [:eek:)]

Hosspen

Do you catch the rattlesnakes yourself? Where do you find corncobs that smooth? Could I get business card? Will you be here next week? Is that a wood veneer wrapped around there? Do you sell knives too? Do you have any pens for $5.00? So, you put a bowling ball on your lathe?
How long will the ink last in these pens? Do men usually buy these fatter pens?

wlk

LOL so hard I had to wipe tears out of my eyes! I can visualize each scenario. This would be a great "bit" for a penturner's convention.

Wade . . . too new to do a show, but I'm building up inventory :D:D

roddesigner

I have done relatively few shows but I am reaching the conclusion that the same group of people tour the USA attending the shows because I have heard and seen almost the same thing trying to write with bottle stoppers,and perfume applicators, the same comments sometimes two or more times at one day shows I think we need to develop a good sense of humor if we want to continue in this en devour LOL
John

Originally posted by gerryr

I always have an empty wine bottle on the table to demonstrate my bottle stoppers and a cantelevered wine stand.. the board cut at an angle with a hole for the bottle neck to stick through... the bottle stand catches peoples eye, then they will look at the stoppers and as "what are these for"

jtate

As to the metal bottle stoppers -- hey, now! Those things don't look like what they really are! I betcha most of us didn't know they were bottle stoppers till someone told us so.

KC

This thread needs resurrection!

Not pens, but I was doing a furniture show when a very nice, proper looking older lady asked how we made the 'butt hole' in the chair seats... referring to the scooped area. I couldn't help it... I just cracked up. :D

Originally posted by scroller99

I love it when they pick up an acrylic pen in bright pink and black and ask me what kind of wood is it? and you have to keep from laughing and explain what the material is. Howard

Or they pick up a Dymondwood and ask "Did you paint the wood like this?"

Splinter

This thread gave me the best laugh I have had in a long time. I have only done a couple of little events with another coming up 4/12/08. Maybe I'm better prepared now for the customers after reading this thread.

Milpaul

Haven't posted in a while but had to add this to my thread. I had a show today and a guy was looking at some of my acrylic pens. He asked me if I painted them all myself or had someone else do it! [:0][:0]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Milpaul

Haven't posted in a while but had to add this to my thread. I had a show today and a guy was looking at some of my acrylic pens. He asked me if I painted them all myself or had someone else do it! [:0][:0]

If the show was in Milwaukee, I'm amazed he did not ask you how much you would "knock off the price" if HE painted it, himself!!!

Nice to see you on the forum again!!

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
My sign says Handcrafted Pens by Ron.I had a lady come up to the booth a few weeks back and ask while waving her hand over all of my displays, if any of these had lead in them.Without missing a beat i said they wouldn’t be pens they would be pencils wouldn’t they?

Elliott

Well, now I really have heard it all - and I challenge YOU to beat this one.

I just did a show last weekend - A rather good one at that - one fellow came by my booth with the usually wonderment (oh ah wood pens and such), after admiring the round top Euros he told me they sell those with prophylactics and walked away. Frankly I was not sure it if he was joking or not.

I had no witty reply for this guy, just bewilderment.

- E

Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Did you know you brushed your teeth with a prophylactic every day? And every child in America has a prophylactic stuck in them several times as they grow older?

pro·phy·lac·tic (prf-lktk, prf-)
adj.
Acting to defend against or prevent something, especially disease; protective.
n.
1. A prophylactic agent, device, or measure, such as a vaccine or drug.
2. A contraceptive device, especially a condom.

So maybe drug companies are giving away cheap "euro looking" pens with they meds. I know I see "euro looking" pens in tourist shops for $4, laser etched with pictures of the area I'm in every time I go on a trip. That is why I stopped making euros.

GK

Verne

Hey guys and gals, don't forget that most of these shoppers are also voters! Need I say more?
Vern

redfishsc

Ed, I am about to print out your story and give that to my customers who complain about $40 for a cigar pen (and that's cheap compared to what some of you guys price them!).

I have had probably a dozen people pick up some freakish looking acrylic and ask me "what kind of wood is this?":eek:.

I've had it asked TWICE on this blank (lava flow from Beartoothwoods):
PB_LAVAFLOW.jpg

1JaredSchmidt

Some of them ask me "how long can I use them before I throw them away?" thinking they are disposable pens.

I have my lathe at the show turning pens and they're like" where do you get these pens from?" And I tell them I make them. "You do? What are you making right now?" (I'm turning a pen.) I tell them and they say,"Wow,I never knew you could do that."

One lady asked me if I had a lathe because she thought my lathe was a laser engraver.

One guy walked up and pointed at my Jet 1014VS and said,"that's a weird lathe." I asked him if he ever turned. He said that he taught shop class in high school and they had big lathes. He never seen a small Jet lathe before.

markgum

True story. Really its true! Was at a show in Texas and a young lady walks up to my booth and I start my pitch.... Yes Mam I do make all of these in my studio and each one is one of a kind etc. etc. She then picks up a pen and looks it over and ask's me very serious, "you make these in your studio, do you also make motion pictures in your studio or is it a music studio?" I'm usually fast to reply but this time I just had to think of a reply and all I could think of was to say its a place that I make my pens only and I call it my studio.She didn't buy anything but for the rest of the day I called my shop a shop.

As JayDevin told me,, the difference between a shop and a studio.. The studio has A/C. :biggrin:

Top Bottom