Craziest thing you have heard at a show!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Milpaul

I have only been selling pens for 2 years now, but I sure have heard some crazy things (excuses) from customers! As therapy :( for myself and others I thought it would be good to add them here. Today I had a man that was going to buy a cigar pen for his son as a Christmas gift. His wife interrupted us and said "He is more of a reader, he really doesn't write that much!"
Apparently they don't teach reading writing and arithmetic anymore - you have to choose one [?][?][?]

mrcook4570

Originally posted by Randy_

This is not a poll.
Agreed, however, this sure seems like an open ended survey, which does fit into the title of this forum.

That said, I once had a gentleman pick out a fountain pen and went to get his wife (she had the credit card). When he came back with her, she proceeded to read him the riot act, telling him how irresponsible he is and dropping many 4-letter words. Needless to say, the sale fell through.

Milpaul

I agree this is not a poll! I believe the heading says "polls, surveys and votes" and I consider this is a survey - or are you just trying to get on this list!!
If the moderator agrees he can move this post, I honestly don't know how. I was just trying to have some fun - didn't realize anyone would get upset [:0] [:0] [:0]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by GaryMGg

Originally posted by Gary MaxHow did you wrap the wood around the tube?????
I've heard that from several people who've seen my pens.
I tell them "slowly and carefully or else it cracks."

I thought MY market featured DUMB people - in over ten years I have NEVER heard this one!!!

I DO frequently hear, "You didn't make ALL THOSE???" To which I reply, actually there are many MORE behind the display. If you have several hours we can LOOK at them ALL!!!! Or is there one HERE you particularly like????:D:D:D:D

Daniel

Two women looking at my pens. one is considering buying one for her son.
the Second women points out they are expensive for a pen you couldn't even write with.
(thinking that a pen made from wood could not actually function)
I demonstrate that the pen does in fact work, second woman makes comment about how pencils have always been made out of wood but still looks puzzled at my demonstration.
to this day I think that woman is trying to figure out the trick I played on her cause she never did believe a wood pen could be written with.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I got one from a show last month."Will you be back next month because it will be closer to Christmas"?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ron,
That's a perennial question.

I tell them the truth, which is usually, "NO, we are doing a different show next month. However, if you pay by credit card, you won't have to pay for the item until NEXT month."

Seldom works - but worth a try.

Milpaul

Originally posted by RONB

I got one from a show last month."Will you be back next month because it will be closer to Christmas"?
Isn't that great! Reminds me of people who look at a pen then ask what show you will be at next week. O.K. so you won't buy my pen now but you will travel again next week, maybe farther away to go to a different show where the pen might be sold, makes sense to me! [:0] [:0] [:0]

ElMostro

Comment about one of my coffee bean & Allumilite pens;
- Customer says "So did you make coffee first and then use it to make the pen"? (Have in mind that I use whole coffee beans in the blank).
- My answer (I was kidding); "Ma'am the hardest part was putting the beans back together".

You would think that's the end of it right? Wrong!!

- Customer replies back; "I can't imagine having the patience to do that". [:0][:0][:0]

great12b4ever

One I heard was "But why would you want to make a pen when you can get plenty at Wal-Marts?"

This was at aJuried Arts and Crafts show with a $10.00 entrance fee, and my retort was
"For the same reason you just paid $10 to see what other people made by hand instead of buying plastic imitations."

Believe it or not she actually bought two pens, both cigars, but LOL both were acrylics.

Rob

rickstef

The corollary to this is, for the Bowl Turners, ever notice how many people who pick up a bowl or similar immediately flip it over to look at the bottom?

Milpaul

Originally posted by neon007

One of my all time favs. is "How much...I can get a bic for 99 cents." or while they are walking away you here them tell there wife "I can make pens if I had the time"
Similar to one of my favorites: "Do you know ______(insert name here) he makes pens too!" Apparently there are so few of us out there we must all know each other!

Charles

One that blew me away was when I was at a christmas show and a lady picked up a pen and asked about the wood type, I told her it was olive wood from the Holy Land and that the bird of peace carried an olive branch in its mouth... Thinking the significance of the symbolism and time of year would have helped the sale... Her response.... If it has anything to do with christianity I don't want it!.... My come back... Olive wood also comes from other countries and doesn't necessarly come from the Holy Land. Guess what... SALE!!!!

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by scroller99

I love it when they pick up an acrylic pen in bright pink and black and ask me what kind of wood is it? and you have to keep from laughing and explain what the material is. Howard
I get this too. So I tell them it's from the very rare Acrylic tree that grows only on the South Pacific island of Acrylia.

First time I told a lady that, she looked at me inquisitively then burst out laughing.

Parker

HAHAHA! Thanks for the good laughs everyone! This is a funny thread!

I get the question about having the hole perfectly centered on my game calls too. [:p]

I also like hearing folks walk away telling their friends, "I could do that." :D

Parker

great12b4ever

As far as the people that say "I could do that", I was at ashow once and a vendor had a verynice display, and in front of the area where you walked up to his show he had a fairly large sign that said

" I know you could probably make everything I have here, and maybe even cheaper if you don't count labor,
BUT...will you?"

I have threatened to make my own sign like that ever since

Rob

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
True story:

Early in my turning career, I was at a show in Milwaukee (State Fair Park) and one of many women told me her husband could make pens, too. I said something that apparently made her more determined, so the next day, she came back, dragging the "hubby". He was dressed in jeans that looked new, so I was curious how this would go.

She says to him, "I told this guy (referring to me) YOU could make pens like that, too!" The hubby said, "Yes, Dear, I believe I COULD!!!" Then, to my surprise, he said to ME, "You use a lathe to make those, don't you?" I said yes (I was about to become disgusted, but hadn't reached hostile, yet!) He continued, "Nice mini-lathe is about 500 bucks??" Intrigued, I said yes again. He says, "Tools, ya gotta have turning tools - 100 bucks?"
He did not wait for me to answer. "That's a nice looking pen, bet your first ones didn't look exactly like that. What, about 10 -15 kits before you really 'got it down'?"

I started to like the direction we were headed, so I said, actually, closer to 20, but I AM a slow-learner. He agreed he was, too, then said, "About $8 a "kit" close to right - $150 overall?"

Now the guy develops "Einsteinism", he whips around to his wife and announces, "$500 and 100 and 150 - so, for only 750 bucks I CAN make you a pen, my dear - IF I FIND TIME!!! Save us both the time and effort and BUY the man's PEN for THIRTY LOUSY BUCKS!!!!!"

She didn't. But, I have told this story to MANY crafters and they all would like to thank that "Hubby". Now, you can pass it on. We can't tell the customers, but it does enter my mind every time I hear, "Oh, my husband can make that!!!"

gerryr

The funniest one I got was "What brand are these pens? Do they sell them at Office Depot too?"

The worst one actually came from a female co-worker who came by my booth at a local show. "What are you doing here?" "Trying to sell these pens I make." "You don't make those pens, pens are made in a factory." "No, I actually do make every one on my lathe in my basement." "I don't believe that at all." At which point I decided I needed to go pee, before something bad happened.:(

Milpaul

Thanks Cav. I am enjoying it too only it is bringing back some very bad memories. [:0]
I think the scariest part is I thought I heard everything, unfortunately I haven't! :D ;)

OKLAHOMAN

True story. Really its true! Was at a show in Texas and a young lady walks up to my booth and I start my pitch.... Yes Mam I do make all of these in my studio and each one is one of a kind etc. etc. She then picks up a pen and looks it over and ask's me very serious, "you make these in your studio, do you also make motion pictures in your studio or is it a music studio?" I'm usually fast to reply but this time I just had to think of a reply and all I could think of was to say its a place that I make my pens only and I call it my studio.She didn't buy anything but for the rest of the day I called my shop a shop.

Milpaul

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

True story. Really its true! Was at a show in Texas and a young lady walks up to my booth and I start my pitch.... Yes Mam I do make all of these in my studio and each one is one of a kind etc. etc. She then picks up a pen and looks it over and ask's me very serious, "you make these in your studio, do you also make motion pictures in your studio or is it a music studio?" I'm usually fast to reply but this time I just had to think of a reply and all I could think of was to say its a place that I make my pens only and I call it my studio.She didn't buy anything but for the rest of the day I called my shop a shop.
Hopefully none of your customers asked you why you call it a shop since you don't really shop there! :(

Top Bottom