On the concept of changing signature lines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

garypeck

If you are religious and feel you need to let us all know why not just put "I'm a Christian" or "I'm Jewish", "Methodist", "Wiccan", "Atheist" or whatever your religious preference is. In that way you are stating your beliefs in a way that might be an acceptable compromise?

Just what it says below......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I think we've beaten this sufficiently to a pulp.

I'll post some revised guidelines later today.

Ozzy

The signatures are just an individual's personal expression and not an attempt to turn anyone over to that individual's beliefs. We all have that right. This whole topic is as ridiculous as the whole Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas issue. I don't believe in Santa Clause nor am I a Christmas person but I don't get pissed when I see all of the Santa Clauses running around during Christmas or when someone says Merry Christmas. This is as stupid as those few who try to get a channel removed from television because they find it offensive; if you don't like it turn the channel and block that channel, there are well over 200 other channels to choose from. Just because you don't like something or are offended by it does not give you the right to decide what I can or can't see.

If members are made to remove their signatures, or make them politically correct, or make them jerk friendly; it will only be a matter of time before people start complaining about pens that have a religious tone and then they will want them blocked. Then it will only be a matter of time before the IAP implodes and we will no longer have this, with a few exceptions, wonderful place to share ideas and see other turners' fantastic creations.

Some of you will read my comments and think that either I am one of you or that I am one of them but I will assure you that I am neither. My religious beliefs are just that; mine. I will tell you that I do not agree entirely with either side. I have spent part of my life on one side of the opposition and part on the other side and I realized that both sides are flawed.

Unless someone personally attacks you, let it alone. For instance, back in the day when I did stand-up comedy, every now and then someone would sit through my entire act, 45 minutes to an hour, and come up to me after the show to tell me that I offended them and even suggest what jokes I should take out of my act. I assure you that they were definitely offended when I got done telling them how stupid they were for sitting through my entire act and then I would let them know what I thought about their crappy opinion. The point I am trying to make is that if they had struck up a conversation with me and maybe at some point said what I had said that offended them, I would have responded differently; I know because this has happened, but instead they chose to walk up to me and attack me right away.

If we all worked half as hard at being happy as some people do at being mad and offended, the world would be a much better place. The key to happiness is live, laugh, and love.

cozee

If you will recall, I started this thread with the question, where do we stop. I know I have no control over a thread once started. But I have not seen much discussion on that topic after the first few posts.

Like I said, intrepretation. One can be saying one thing and when someone reads it, because of perspective, they interpret it to mean something else or at the least, something a bit skewed from the original intention/proclamation.

Daniel

Honestly people have got to have better things to worry about than to complain about a signature line. If you don't you seriously need to throw your computer away and go get a life.

Jerryconn

Honestly people have got to have better things to worry about than to complain about a signature line. If you don't you seriously need to throw your computer away and go get a life.

Amen!! .......oops.........errrrr Right On! :biggrin: (Don't get upset I'm just joking around)

Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm sure Jeff will do what he feels is best for the site and we all will abide by that decision or leave.

Personally, if it were my site and someone gave me an ultimatum of "do this or I will leave" then I would instantly and permanently ban that person for attempting to blackmail me. And, really, there is little loss because if I don't do what they want they will go away anyway and if I do what they want then they will think they have the power to dictate how I should run my site in the future and how others should behave.

But, again, Jeff will do what is right for Him and His Site and we should all back him 100% on His choice.

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom