Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Wow, you're really on a "new forum" kick! I think the "other turnings" would be nice, to kind of distinguish those from the other stuff we talk about in Casual Conversation. I know some people don't read the posts in CC, but they might at least review the stuff in Other Turnings.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hell NO! This is the International Association of PENTURNERS. There are sites out there for hollow forms and bowls and God only knows what else. I come here to read about PENTURNING. I hated the fact that we opened up "Casual Conversation" to "Other Stuff" but to go to new forums for other types of woodworking will diffuse the focus and result in this forum looking like every other woodworking forum on the 'net. It won't take long for penturners to become the "red-haired stepchild". PENS 'R US!

Jerryconn

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Hell NO! This is the International Association of PENTURNERS.

Hey Lou, tell us how you really feel! [;)] Just kidding, please don't get upset ......... I voted no as well.

(Announcers voice on)
With 2% of the votes in, we are ready to call this poll in favor of "Other Turnings"
(Announcers voice off)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
(Announcers voice back on)

"In poll exit interviews, we find the "No"s are much more passionate!"

[:0][:0][:0][:0]

JTaylor801

I voted no. Like others have said, this forum is about turning pens. The other category, while it wouldn't be mandatory, I feel would end up being a "free for all" with no organization. If turning bowls is your passion, then go join the International Association of Bowlturners.

I've only been a member here at the IAP for about a week...so I'm no expert. But I like the organization of the site and the forum categories. It's easy for me if I want to research or ask a question on finishing or marketing.

Jerry

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I have placed the call and the hits have been ordered. Murphy is booking flights, even as I type this, to visit the shop of each person who votes YES.

Yea, verily I say. The wrath of Murphy be on all ye who have strayed from the path. The plagues will come upon you. First will be the drying up of your bottles of CA...opened or unopened. Next will follow the bowing of your mandrels. Non-concentric pens will flow from your lathes. The third plague shall come in the form of plain, straight-grained wood which will re-orient itself straight even if you cross-cut it. Fourth will be the clogging of sandpaper. Three quick revolutions of your lathe and your sandpaper will be rendered useless...even on dry, hard maple. The fifth plague will come in the form of unsharp tools. No amount of honing, no Wolverine jig, no Tormek will give you an edge that lasts more than 15 seconds. The sixth plague will arrive in the form of drill bit drift. This drift will be made greater as the cost of your blank increases. The final plague will come in the form of catches and blowouts. Any tool, any grit of sandpaper, even Novus polish when applied to your nearly finished blanks will cause them to blowout into at least 5 pieces, one of which will never be found. Oh ye den of vipers. Repent while you still can! [8D]

<br />I have placed the call and the hits have been ordered. Murphy is booking flights, even as I type this, to visit the shop of each person who votes YES.

Donworryaboit, My cousin Louie can handle Murphy! [;)]

dubdrvrkev

Wait a minute... You've got a bowl in your album Lou. [}:)][}:)] Do you mean to tell us that you would upload such a picture to this Holy place of pen turning?
That said... I think there is a small enough amout of "other turnings" posted to leave it in Casual, as much as it pains some. I post lots of my other stuff here because more e-friends here than some other places. Some of you may want to cover your ears...err eyes while I say that pen turning is not my main focus, its more of a time filler.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />Hell NO! This is the International Association of PENTURNERS. There are sites out there for hollow forms and bowls and God only knows what else. I come here to read about PENTURNING. I hated the fact that we opened up "Casual Conversation" to "Other Stuff" but to go to new forums for other types of woodworking will diffuse the focus and result in this forum looking like every other woodworking forum on the 'net. It won't take long for penturners to become the "red-haired stepchild". PENS 'R US!
I agree with Lou (He is so over the top!)
I visit other turning forums and usually feel like the red headed stepchild that Lou mentions in fact I believe he got the expression from me.
I have learned to accept it.
It may be the reason I do not turn bowls.
I feel I have just scratched the surface in the direction I wish to go in with this craft.
If you turn a piece and want to show it fine casual conversation.
Are you going to start a forum "Other Woodworking"
I don't want to belittle anyone with their efforts because I know how I feel when I tell a turner I make pens, and the reaction is a big"HO HUM" saying under his breath "I remember when I just started I used to do that too.but then I learned how to turn BOWLS!I am a real turner!"Well I am not a turner at all the lathe is just one of many tools I use.
I vote a vehement no (but not so over the top as Lou.)[^]

kenwc

No No No No No No No No (It would only let me vote once so I'm trying to stuff the ballot box)

BTW....NO - This is Penturners.org. Not penandcandleholderandbowlandtrivetandhollowform.org...!!!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />I have placed the call and the hits have been ordered. Murphy is booking flights, even as I type this, to visit the shop of each person who votes YES.

Yea, verily I say. The wrath of Murphy be on all ye who have strayed from the path. The plagues will come upon you. First will be the drying up of your bottles of CA...opened or unopened. Next will follow the bowing of your mandrels. Non-concentric pens will flow from your lathes. The third plague shall come in the form of plain, straight-grained wood which will re-orient itself straight even if you cross-cut it. Fourth will be the clogging of sandpaper. Three quick revolutions of your lathe and your sandpaper will be rendered useless...even on dry, hard maple. The fifth plague will come in the form of unsharp tools. No amount of honing, no Wolverine jig, no Tormek will give you an edge that lasts more than 15 seconds. The sixth plague will arrive in the form of drill bit drift. This drift will be made greater as the cost of your blank increases. The final plague will come in the form of catches and blowouts. Any tool, any grit of sandpaper, even Novus polish when applied to your nearly finished blanks will cause them to blowout into at least 5 pieces, one of which will never be found. Oh ye den of vipers. Repent while you still can! [8D]

See what I mean about being over the top?
I agree with him , but I wish he wouldn't get do melodramatic,

Of course this is a pen turning site, but I'll guess most of us turn more than just pens. I know I do.
Why chase us "other" turners away to other sites? Isn't this forum a community where we can share?

Beside, other turning doesn't have to equate to just bowls, there are bottle stoppers, pepper mills, game calls, confetti lamps and so on.

For me, I learned a great deal about segmented turning by turning segmented pens. Along the way I picked up a few tricks in turning segmented pens.

I started turning finials on hollow forms lately and what I learned in pen turning came in quite helpful. Along the way I have a dozen ideas that I learned in finials that I plan on trying out on some pens.

What one learns in one type of turning can help us learn something new in another. The idea is learning and growing. Why stop?

---
Edit in

Come to think of it, allot of what I learned in flat woodworking has helped me in all types of woodturning. Lately I've found that my flat work has improved because of woodturning. It all goes hand in hand

loglugger

Heck that is the normal things that always going on around here already.
Bob

cozee

I voted yes simply because I am interested in the possibility of doing other turnings but only secondary to pens. I do not see where this forum will become overrun with bowl turners, stopper turners, or other turners since they already have thier own, well established forums.

Yea, verily I say. The wrath of Murphy be on all ye who have strayed from the path. The plagues will come upon you. First will be the drying up of your bottles of CA...opened or unopened. Next will follow the bowing of your mandrels. Non-concentric pens will flow from your lathes. The third plague shall come in the form of plain, straight-grained wood which will re-orient itself straight even if you cross-cut it. Fourth will be the clogging of sandpaper. Three quick revolutions of your lathe and your sandpaper will be rendered useless...even on dry, hard maple. The fifth plague will come in the form of unsharp tools. No amount of honing, no Wolverine jig, no Tormek will give you an edge that lasts more than 15 seconds. The sixth plague will arrive in the form of drill bit drift. This drift will be made greater as the cost of your blank increases. The final plague will come in the form of catches and blowouts. Any tool, any grit of sandpaper, even Novus polish when applied to your nearly finished blanks will cause them to blowout into at least 5 pieces, one of which will never be found. Oh ye den of vipers. Repent while you still can!

You do realize that it is traditional that when the words of a prophet do not come true, they are to be stoned to death!!!!![:D]

Anybody need a rock?!!!!!!![:p]

PenWorks

I voted yes because I like the convenience of the one stop shop. I don't have the time to visit other forums, so seeing the occassional bowl, stopper , vase is a nice change. I think we are all still mostly pentuners at heart, but seeing other things we make won't kill us.

Oh...cocked & locked should I see Murphy [:D]

M

Mudder

Hmmmm,

Let's carry this to the extreme.

If you say that this is a site for penturning and penturning only then Casting & Stabilization should be gone because making the blank is not penturning. I don't see where Pen Photography has anything to do with penturning and there are quite a few of those forums on the net. Neither is Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools, or Marketing & Shows. What does Trades & Giveaways have to do with penturning? Group Purchases is not penturning, nor is the Individual or Business Classifieds. Where is the line to be drawn?
Lately I have made more bowls and boxes than pens, it would be nice to have a place to post them.

I voted yes so I guess I'll leave the porch light on so the hit man knows the correct house and does not shoot my innocent neighbor.

2006111154944_grayson_smile.jpg

P.S. If there was an other turnings forum then it would get all of that out of casual conversation and those who don't care to look know exactly what forum not to look at.

jeffj13

I realize that I am a newbie without much say, but I voted "no". The reason that I began to visit this site is not because it was a penturning forum, but because it was a penturning association. I appreciated that its sole purpose was the pursuit of making a better pen. Its focus on one discipline was what attracted me here.

I do other types of turnings and I do flatwork as well, but there are other forums for that. Would it be convenient to have a bowl forum here, perhaps. Would it make a better Association, I don't think so.

I don't believe that the IAP should be the "be all, end all" for woodturning, just for pens.

jeff

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />

Hmmmm,

Let's carry this to the extreme.

If you say that this is a site for penturning and penturning only then Casting & Stabilization should be gone because making the blank is not penturning. I don't see where Pen Photography has anything to do with penturning and there are quite a few of those forums on the net. Neither is Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools, or Marketing & Shows. What does Trades & Giveaways have to do with penturning? Group Purchases is not penturning, nor is the Individual or Business Classifieds. Where is the line to be drawn?
Lately I have made more bowls and boxes than pens, it would be nice to have a place to post them.

I voted yes so I guess I'll leave the porch light on so the hit man knows the correct house and does not shoot my innocent neighbor.

2006111154944_grayson_smile.jpg

P.S. If there was an other turnings forum then it would get all of that out of casual conversation and those who don't care to look know exactly what forum not to look at.

About two years ago there was a debate about adding a Finishing Forum" to this site.To this day I believe a separate forum for finishing is redundant since finishing a pen is most of the "work" .
Once you remove the finishing step from Penturning you are left with "how to turn on the lathe" and "how to turn off the wood"
The addition of the finishing Forum if you will segmented the process.
At that time though, there were few who were casting their own resins,simple glue ups had been posted but not to the extent and intricacy we see posted today.
My point being , every section of the site you said would be unnecessary relates to penturning.I choke when I say this but even a casting forum if someone is casting their own pen blanks.
The IAP ran a contest with pens and a way to display them in conjunction with Wood turning and Design 2 years ago.Would you suggest them displays should not have been allowed if they were not turned?
I relate every forum I read on this site to pen turning, even casual conversation.If we are an <b>Association </b>of penturners would it not make sense to associate with them and what goes on in their lives?
The Casual Conversation Forum allows us to post as a part of the <b>community</b> that has developed here.If as a penturner you make a bowl in another part of your life , post it there.If you make a sleigh bed in your shop and are proud of it, post it in casual conversation.
Sorry Mudder you went so far overboard to refute Lous position you went from the sublime to the ridiculous .
If I got to the Photography forum I expect to find out how to take better pictures of pens.
If I got to the classified section I expect to see items for sale that relate to pens.
The same applies to every section of the site you mentioned
When I go to a turning site I see very little that is offered to pencrafters.
I have said and still believe Bowl turners look upon those in this craft as "beginners" who will eventually "grow- up" and turn bowls.
Well this "beginner" likes the shallow end of the pool, let the"big kids" stay in their deep end.
This site does not need a forum for other turnings.
I think we will have to agree to disagree.
Eagle
Member of the international Association of <b>PENTURNERS</b>

Darley

I joined he IAP ( International Association of Penturner ) because of what it's, we do have very good pen makers and pen turners, Eagle reply very well about this subject and I will second him, you want to show your other turning go to the casual conversation or add a 2nd photo album to show your master pieces.

Jeff you created this site with Scott as an "" Association of Penturner "" please keep it as it's, Thanks

kent4Him

I voted Yes. This is an association of Penturners, not pen turning. Penturners are allowed to turn other things. The only requirement to using an "Other Turnings" forum should be that the user also turns pens and that is primarily why they are here.

Darley

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />I voted Yes. This is an association of Penturners, not pen turning. Penturners are allowed to turn other things. The only requirement to using an "Other Turnings" forum should be that the user also turns pens and that is primarily why they are here.

What do you mean by this statement??? are you on med? BTW you look good on the roof[:D][:p]

chitswood

This one is kind of a strange poll for me, cause I don't turn pens, I turn bowls and such.

My vote says no on an "other turnings" forums. Its usually fun to try something new or experiment, but this forum should stay dedicated to pens only.
I like it here just the way it is, no need to change what this website represents.

jeffj13

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />I voted Yes. This is an association of Penturners, not pen turning. Penturners are allowed to turn other things. The only requirement to using an "Other Turnings" forum should be that the user also turns pens and that is primarily why they are here.

Chris,

I respect your position, but the argument you have raised could also be made to allow a forum for virtually any activity. For example, substitute "flat work" or "home repair" or "golf" for "other turning" and your argument is just as valid. Do we want to go down that road?

Also, while I can't speak for other, that this is a penturner's association is not why I am primarily here, it is exclusively why I am here. Speaking only for me, to "water down" focus of the org., would cause it to lose some appeal.

jeff

Chit and Jeffj13

I don't think Penturners.org will be overrun by a flood of other turnings just because there is a new forum. What's wrong with showing others the types of work we do on a lathe? Yes, we can post a vase on the Casual Conversation Forum. But I think that forum is better suited for shooting the breeze.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I would like to say thank you to everyone who participated in this thread.

This has been a very civil debate.

Jeff, when will you make a decision?
Next Saturday morning after the poll has been open for a week.

Here's what I think <b>in favor</b> of another forum. (1) It might keep more people here. I don't really want to chase people to another forum to post their other stuff. (2) Seeing different stuff can provide inspiration for us to try new things and might contribute to domestic harmony. Perhaps you people with significant others will get more "support" for penturning if something other than pens comes out of your shop now and then. [;)]

<b>Against...</b> Maybe it undermines the "purity" of the IAP. I can see the points being made by those opposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom