Wanted: Ebony....with a catch - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Old Classifieds Archive
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old Classifieds Archive Threads from closed classifieds forums. For historical reference only.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default Wanted: Ebony....with a catch

I have been searching over the net for about 6 mos now with no luck, so I bring my search to my fellow penturners here. I am looking for a supplier of Ebony where its grown, cut, and replenished on an environmentaly friendly level. No slash and burn. Im not sure if this topic has ever risin in this forum but Im a real stickler about where much of my wood comes from and the way it's aquired. I guess Im a younger hippie. Any help is greatly appriciated.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 31

What kind of Ebony??????????????
Old 11-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Perhaps I am becoming a cynic in my pending old age, but I always wonder how we truly know if something is "sustainably harvested" if we are not there to witness.
greggas is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Many suppliers have a certificate and a lot they own. In that lot they harvest, and replant. There are numerous groups such as 'forestland','Scientific Certification Systems', and 'Rainforest Alliance', whom are infact groups who certify loggers and companies on their practices of sustainably harvesting wood and its on a volunteer basis by the companies to get certified. I as a business owner can control my products origins this way because of these practices. Are they legit? I sure hope so, but I'm willing to gamble with it for the simple sake of hoping it means something. Gary, as far as specifics go, Im looking for African Ebony (Very black, unlike some Mun Ebony with brown streaks) and Hazoma Ebony. I reuse old carvings and such as well, much like my last project involved. Also if anyone had a source of Areng wood, that would be great! Its a small timber that is actually a bush that grows in Indonesia but isnt imported due to lack of interest. Its safe for the body and is Similar to ebony, but due to its size, you can rarely get pieces over 3-5" in diameter. From the photo given to me by a collegue, you can see its prone to cracking and forming fissures on the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
areng1.jpg  

Last edited by Darrin; 11-13-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Darrin is offline   Top
Old 11-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 124

Try here, he will ship world wide. Timber is pretty dark and gets darker with time.
Dai Sensei is offline   Top
Old 11-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Hello Darrin,

Not sure if Brian @ http://www.diamondtropicalhardwoods.com/ can get African Ebony but you may want to check out his site. His wood is Awesome and he is quite helpful. He has a sustainable operation and I like you make every effort to only buy from sustainable sources or sources that use storm fallen wood or reclaimed wood. He may have a source for ebony. I will ask the owner of my local woodcraft if he know anyone. He often gets in some incredible striped ebony.

Cindylee
Cindylee is offline   Top
Old 11-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks folks.Neil, I contacted the company from Australia and am considering his product. Thanks Cindylee for your link as well, I like his products!
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads