FOR SALE- "Economy" Sanding Mills - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Old Classifieds Archive
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old Classifieds Archive Threads from closed classifieds forums. For historical reference only.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 81

Default FOR SALE- "Economy" Sanding Mills

OK, here's the deal. I made one of these for myself about 3 years ago and I'm still using it. I've made a couple for some members here at IAP and they have all commented on how much they like it and that I should be offering them for sale. Until recently I haven't had the time but I just lost my job due to an accidental injury and have been forced to go on SS Disability so now I have PLENTY of time.
Here's what you'll be getting for $25-SHIPPED!

On the left is a punch for making the sanding discs and the mill is on the right. You will receive BOTH! The mill is a piece of hardened drill rod with a 1" dia. hardwood base and faced with brass. The hole on top is for a 1/8" pin that goes through the rod and keeps the base from coming loose. Both the rod and pin are also epoxied in place.
The brass face is epoxied on and machined on my metal lathe so it's perfectly flat and square.
The rod is the same size as an "A" pen mandrel so it will accept all 7mm sleeves.

This is what the punch does. It's a piece of steel pipe that I sharpened on the end. I made that wood cap to protect the end of the pipe from hammer blows, you WILL NOT be receiving one of these. I think I got 33 pieces out of a 6" self-adhesive sanding disc and I can do about 5 pens with each piece. That's 165 pens out of one 6" disc, pretty economical! EDIT IN....Several of you have asked about what grit sandpaper to use. I use 80 grit only because that's what I was able to "procure" from work. I like it but I haven't tried any other. I got 4- 6" discs 3 years ago and still have 2 left!! Get the smallest pack they sell!

This shows it in a hand vise. I use a standard paper punch to make the holes but a brass tube will work. I use the wooden cap I made for storing the discs.

This is how I use it most, in my Beall chuck. A scroll chuck or an adjustable mandrel chuck will work too. Heck, if all you have is a regular MT2 mandrel that fits in the headstock, let me know and I'll throw some 1/4" X 28 threads on the end, no charge!

PLEASE note that this is a FINISHING tool. It's NOT meant to take the place of a regular pen mill or disc sander. If used as such you run the risk of overheating and the epoxy could come loose.
This tool is meant to be used on already turned barrels and really excells at removing CA and squaring things up prior to assembly. You'll be amazed at how much better everything fits after using this tool.

Please post in this thread if you would like one and I'll get back to you with my PAY-PAL address. I would post it but I'm afraid of them dang "bots" that read these things! I will also accept checks.

Shipping outside the U.S. is not a problem but it will probably be a little more. Whatever it costs me and not a penny more!!

THANK YOU!

I'm not suggesting anyone remove all the stupid people, I'm suggesting we remove all of the warning labels and let the situation resolve itself.

Last edited by rherrell; 01-29-2009 at 10:45 AM.
rherrell is offline   Top
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Rick,

look like a great tool... I'd like one.. pm me with your PP address..

Rich
kruzzer is offline   Top
Old 01-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'll take one.

PM me with the PP info.

Thanks!
John
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 58

Rick I would like one please.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

looks great - I'd like one too please.

pm me your paypal info and I will get payment to you.
Thanks.
yooperbird is offline   Top
Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Head Moderator

Photos: 18

Rick,

I would like one please.

The original, affordable home stabilizing solution!
Now available exclusively from TurnTex...Alumilite Clear and White in 1 gallon kits (1/2 Gal A&B)
www.TurnTex.com
MesquiteMan is offline   Top
Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 275

Rick I would like one please.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 23

Rick,
Add me to your list.
Central Arkansas IAP Chapter Member
edman2 is offline   Top
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rick,

Sorry to hear you are out of work, seems like you are attempting to make lemonaide out of lemons !!!

Please send me the PP information as I would like one too.
tdibiasio is offline   Top
Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Rick,
If you have any left, I'll take one'
cajun skeeter is offline   Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads