ROTONDO- round cutting tool - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Old Classifieds Archive
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old Classifieds Archive Threads from closed classifieds forums. For historical reference only.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 296

Default ROTONDO- round cutting tool

I proudly introduce you to ROTONDO - a 'round' carbide cutting tool. Just like the original SKOGGER, this new tool follows a tradition of machining excellence. It can possibly be the easiest cutting lathe tool offered to date. Rotondo is simple and easy to use, just rest the tool on the tool rest with the cutter at the center of the work and turn away! As you may well know, sharpening is a thing of the past with carbide inserts. Dull edge? A slight rotation created by loosening the set screw and 'voilla' a fresh edge. Rotate at 90 degree intervals until full rotation is complete to maximize the lifespan of the insert. A new carbide insert is available at half the price as other commercial models. Replacement inserts are available from me for ($9.00 each). Notice the 'smoothness' of the cut without the aid of sanding.

TOOL HANDLE 'pics' are included as an OPTION for those that do not wish to turn their own and purchase from the list. Scroll down this page until you reach the 7th posting of this classified.

The tool comes with an 18mm solid carbide insert, SS mounting screw, allan key and tool (ROTONDO) holder. All for a low price of $105.00 USD and that includes all shipping costs to all US destinations. International orders are welcomed with the understanding that there will be a slight surcharge to cover additional shipping costs.
Attached Thumbnails
gedc0095.jpg   gedc0115.jpg   gedc0127.jpg   gedc0131.jpg   gedc0135.jpg  

gedc0099.jpg  

Last edited by wood-of-1kind; 08-22-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: notice for tool handle(s) OPTIONS
wood-of-1kind is offline   Top
Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Sharpening tip

Here's a great money saving tip passed on by one of our members (Thanks Randy):

If the carbide bit has a flat top, it is easy to sharpen with a credit card diamond hone. The ones that are a solid piece of metal are preferred. The plastic handle ones flex too much and are too small. The ones with holes in them tend to scratch the carbide unless you get the very expensive ones.

Last edited by wood-of-1kind; 07-24-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Hi Peter...could you tells us if this tool is designed for just "roughing" or finish work on pen blanks. I would assume from the length of it that the tool is for pen turning and not bowl turning. What is the weight of the tool. Thanks Darrell Eisner
scotian12 is offline   Top
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotian12 View Post
Hi Peter...could you tells us if this tool is designed for just "roughing" or finish work on pen blanks. I would assume from the length of it that the tool is for pen turning and not bowl turning. What is the weight of the tool. Thanks Darrell Eisner
Darrell,

ROTONDO is more than a roughing tool for the pen maker. It quickly removes material and leaves a smooth finish. So much so, I begin sanding at 320 grit. I've just finished turning a pen today (PR) and used the tool right down to the end. I finished it with my SKOGGER to achieve a tapered cut towards the tip of the pen. About the only thing that ROTONDO can not achieve is to cut tenons on a pen.

The tool is not intended for bowl turning, but can be used to "scoop" out the inside of smaller vessels such as gobblets and platters. This tool has a small learning curve and catches are almost imposible due to the contour of the round insert. Net weight of ROTONDO is 210 grams (7 ounces)Thanks for your inquiry.

Last edited by wood-of-1kind; 07-25-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does it come with or without a handle? Also how much is the replacement cutter? Thanks, also is a great looking tool!
Shelt71 is offline   Top
Old 07-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelt71 View Post
Does it come with or without a handle? Also how much is the replacement cutter? Thanks, also is a great looking tool!
The price quoted is without handleTOOL HANDLES. I can and will include your choice of wood in order to make your own handle at no extra charge. If however, you wish to purchase a completed turned toolhandle that wll cost "extra". See the highlighted caption HANDLES to get an idea for selection.

A replacement round carbide insert is $9.00 and will yield many many pens before having to be resharpened or replaced.

Last edited by wood-of-1kind; 07-25-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Got my cutters yesterday.
Thanks Peter for fast shipping.

Pyramid and diamond cutters are bigger and beefier than I expected. I love them.
Round cuter is also great. I've used only smaller round carbide cutters before and I could achieve very good finishing cuts easily. This round cuter is bigger and should be even better for finishing.
I am going to make a holder so cutter will be sitting not horizontally but at about 30 degrees to get a shearing cut.

BTW Comparable in quality but smaller carbide cutter I got from Easy Finisher cost me $20.

I use Dia-Sharp diamond stones from DMT. Extra-fine 1200 grit and Extra-Extra Fine 8000 grit. They have very flat continuous surface with no dots. Very easy to sharpen, just put your cutter face down on stone and move it around with light pressure. It's more honing than sharpening to keep your cutters hair shaving sharp.

But that does not mean that you can resharpen and use a single cutter forever. You'll have to replace you cutter not because it's dull but because carbide is brittle and eventually you'll have it chipped.

I highly recommend every one to go "carbide".
alexkuzn is offline   Top
Old 08-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Tool handles

I post these 'pics' to assist those purchasers that wish to have a custom turned handle for their tool. Note the number beside each handle and inquiry via PM for greater details (size, type, finish etc.). Based on the inquiry, I will e-mail the requestor additional pictures including pricing.
Attached Thumbnails
gedc0254.jpg   gedc0255.jpg   gedc0257.jpg   gedc0259.jpg   gedc0262.jpg  

gedc0265.jpg  
Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 55

Peter, I think the handles are a great idea.
Nice move offering them!
johnnycnc is offline   Top
Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycnc View Post
Peter, I think the handles are a great idea.
Nice move offering them!
Thanks Johnny, I should have offered these earlier. What was I thinking
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads