Color Changing pigments in place of mica for resin pen molds. - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Old Classifieds Archive
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old Classifieds Archive Threads from closed classifieds forums. For historical reference only.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Color Changing pigments in place of mica for resin pen molds.

Hi everyone,
My name is Wolf & I'm new to the board. My website is called www.SolarColorDust.com where I offer Color Changing paint pigments for clear resin.
While I mainly create resin color changing figures for people I figured I would try to reach out to anyone in the forum and offer a unique way of making custom color changing resin pens instead of using mica.
I have the largest selection of color changing pigments on the web. My pigment, Solar Color Dust, changes colors from white to color in sunlight. I currently have 6 different colors of SCD: red, blue, yellow, orange, green & purple.
The second of the two is called Thermal-Dust, where it turns from color to clear when it is put in warm conditions of 86F or warmer; which I carry 15 different cool colors that change colors. Even the heat from your hand will change the pigment colors.

Please check out my site and see my video demonstrations; I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Wolf
www.SolarColorDust.com
SolarColorDust is offline   Top
Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

How long does the thermal change last, and would the heat produced when holding a pen be sufficient to change the color?

Definately looks cool though.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...16381031729077
Alexanderpens is offline   Top
Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

The effect can last for several years if the pen is cared for properly. The heat from your hand definitely can be enough to change the pigment color. The new Ultra Thermal-Dust we have changes from one color to another and is very noticeable compared to the regular pigment that just turns transparent at 86F.
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Neat stuff, will add it to my list of pigments next time I make plastics.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you Richard :)
I'm in the process of making a video with several examples of what can be done with the pigments and how the effects work with resin. It may help give ideas for projects.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

any chance of a variety pack of the ultra?
feron is offline   Top
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Hey Wolf,

Just placed an order for a bunch of your Products. I will post the results after I cast and create some pens. Looks like it could make some cool pens

Dan

Burlieve it or Knot

www.therealsmith.com/pens
TheRealSmith is offline   Top
Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarColorDust View Post
Hi everyone,
My name is Wolf & I'm new to the board. My website is called www.SolarColorDust.com where I offer Color Changing paint pigments for clear resin.
The second of the two is called Thermal-Dust, where it turns from color to clear when it is put in warm conditions of 86F or warmer; which I carry 15 different cool colors that change colors. Even the heat from your hand will change the pigment colors.
Won't the heat of the resin keep it from changing back to it's color?
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." Douglas MacArthur
navycop is offline   Top
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by feron View Post
any chance of a variety pack of the ultra?
Agreed
Manny is offline   Top
Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarColorDust View Post
Hi everyone,
Won't the heat of the resin keep it from changing back to it's color?
The resin only heats up as a chemical reaction when mixed. It cools down when they bond and becomes plastic.
Manny is offline   Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads