"X" axis DRO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

Joe,

The X axis is probably the easiest one to do. A couple of tapped holes on the back of the crosslide for a bracket down to the reader. Then a couple of tapped holes at the ends of the scale. Maybe a couple of spacers at the mounting ends of the scale to get the travel level. Now the Y axis, that's a different story, always a compromise...

Mike

bluwolf

Okay, having thought about it some more.... it dawned on me that you might be using the correct axis designations rather than the commonly used ones. The correct ones being Z for the longitudinal, and X for the crosslide. So, if you're using the correct ones never mind what I just said:rolleyes::biggrin:

Mike

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Okay, having thought about it some more.... it dawned on me that you might be using the correct axis designations rather than the commonly used ones. The correct ones being Z for the longitudinal, and X for the crosslide. So, if you're using the correct ones never mind what I just said:rolleyes::biggrin:

Mike
O.K. I'll never mind! :eek: You had me wondering. I'm in the process, now, of making the bracket to attach to the cross slide. I'll send pics when I finish, if it works out.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Got them mounted

Here they are guys. DROs on tailstock and crosslide!

Attachments

• Both DROs.jpg
    Both DROs.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 252
  • XaxisDRO.jpg
    XaxisDRO.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 214
  • XMount.jpg
    XMount.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 230

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Joe,
Looks great. Anything special to look out for when doing the cross slide install, other than making sure its fits well?

No, I just made a bracket to fit on the bottom of the reader, and as you can see, there isn't much sticking up, in order to stay even with the top of the slide. I drilled and taped for 6X32

bluwolf

Looks nice, clean and straightforward. No clearance issues under the chuck when the jaws are open? You also might want to think about some kind of cover. If oil or swarf get on the scale and in the reader, it's not going to work for long.

Mike

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Looks nice, clean and straightforward. No clearance issues under the chuck when the jaws are open? You also might want to think about some kind of cover. If oil or swarf get on the scale and in the reader, it's not going to work for long.

Mike

Mike: I think the only time I will have clearance issues is if and when I use the four jaw chuck. And THANKS for the heads up on the cover.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Mike

Mike: I think the only time I will have clearance issues is if and when I use the four jaw chuck. And THANKS for the heads up on the cover.
A little pen kit baggie works pretty well.

Mapster

Very simple, yet effective design. I like it! I may have to look into doing something similar on mine. Nice Enco lathe by the way, I really like the blue and the blue dro's

bluwolf

Mike

Chuck, I wasn't referring to the display. I meant a cover over the scale and reader. Where it's mounted there in the front of the crosslide, is where a lot of crap falls while working on the lathe.

Joe, the cover can be something as simple as aluminum roof flashing. It's not real high tech looking. But it's simple to bend, doesn't take up a lot of room and it's light so it can be held on with something as simple as a couple magnets. That way you don't have to drill and tap a bunch of holes to hold it on. The magnets also makes things simple when you find your first cover design runs into something or another and you have to re-do it:biggrin:

Mike

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam

Mike

Chuck, I wasn't referring to the display. I meant a cover over the scale and reader. Where it's mounted there in the front of the crosslide, is where a lot of crap falls while working on the lathe.

Joe, the cover can be something as simple as aluminum roof flashing. It's not real high tech looking. But it's simple to bend, doesn't take up a lot of room and it's light so it can be held on with something as simple as a couple magnets. That way you don't have to drill and tap a bunch of holes to hold it on. The magnets also makes things simple when you find your first cover design runs into something or another and you have to re-do it:biggrin:

Mike

Mike: I guess great minds DO run together!!:eek: I made it last night. Only difference, I had a piece of corrugated plastic that I used instead of the roof flashing. I have problems with "sharp edges" ! :mad: The magnets also allow for quick removal for cleaning !See pic!

Attachments

• _DSC8320 copy.jpg
    _DSC8320 copy.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 151
Top Bottom