What is your opinion of this lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

I've been drooling over this one for a few weeks.....
http://www.grizzly.com/products/South-Bend-8K-8-x-18-Lathe/SB1001

It's got everything I need....

1 1/8" spindle bore so I can turn my 1" Custom Tool Rests. I'll need to buy a 5" chuck though, I'm pretty sure that the 4" it comes with only has about a .800" thru hole.

2 5/8" of compound travel, I really like that.

It has a MT4.5 spindle but comes with a MT3 sleeve so I can use all the MT3 tooling I already have for my 7x14.

A MT2 tailstock so I can also use all the tooling I have for my 7x14.

I know it's pricey but you get what you pay for! The only real problem I have is that it's made in China, but nowadays....what ain't?

They go on sale later this month so there aren't any reviews yet, that's why I need your opinions!:biggrin:

THANKS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've been looking at that one as well for about a year since they announced it was coming. It would be a perfect size for my shop. The only negative I've heard is that if you plan to do a lot of threading, there is no gear box, so you have to manually change the gears. Some say if you have the room and can handle the extra weight, go for the 10X with the gear box. Since I thread on my mill, don't have extra room, and wouldn't know how to lift the 10x, its definitly on my buy list.

Last edited:

bitshird

It's nearly identical to the one the little machine shop has, I love Southbend lathes, I was raised on them. That ain't a Southbend lathe. Nice decal but put it on a Sieg lathe and it's still a Sieg lathe. It looks good, but so does the one from T.L.M.S. and a whole lot cheaper, That is one time you are definitely paying for the name.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
It's nearly identical to the one the little machine shop has, I love Southbend lathes, I was raised on them. That ain't a Southbend lathe. Nice decal but put it on a Sieg lathe and it's still a Sieg lathe. It looks good, but so does the one from T.L.M.S. and a whole lot cheaper, That is one time you are definitely paying for the name.
Interesting, but I'm not seeing the same in the photos. LMS seems to have a different drive, a little shorter, different tail stock, different gears, etc. Obviously we haven't seen these in person yet, it may be Sieg (are you sure?), it is certainly some $ for the name, but would be interesting to know exactly what the true differences are.

rherrell

I looked at the 10x Bruce but it only has a .800 spindle bore and I want one that has at least 1". You would think that the 10x would be larger but it's not. Besides, I don't do alot of threading so changing gears is OK with me.

Ken, I know it's not your fathers South Bend but it's not a Sieg either!
The ways are completely different for one thing and the D1-3 camlock chuck is a nice touch. I know a photo can be touched up but it just looks nicer than any Sieg I've ever seen.

If I can restrain myself and wait for some reviews maybe I'll change my mind but right now it's at the top of my list.:biggrin:

Curly

These ain't.

The only real problem I have is that it's made in China, but nowadays....what ain't?

When what was left of Southbend was bought by Grizzly's owner, he contracted a company in Taiwan, that builds toolroom lathes, to make the new Southbend lathes for them. That is why that line of lathes cost so much more than the rest of the imports in the same categories.

bitshird

Rick, I do like the D-1 cam lock, it makes it a lot easier getting chucks and C-5 collet closers, I doubt if very many lathes made today will have the serviceability of the old Southbends and Leblonds, . But it sure seems like a lot for a lathe that size, I'd look at some of the slightly larger grizzly's, I know threading isn't being considered right now, but SOME DAY. The one inch bore does sound nice though,

bluwolf

I'm with Ken. I don't think I buy into the whole romance of the Southbend name anymore. That's a lot of money for something that doesn't even have a camlock tailstock.

I'd be looking at something like the G4002, the 12x24. You get a whole lot more of everything. 1 7/16 spindle bore, more chuck capacity, more swing and room between centers, quick change gearbox, a camlock tailstock, a quick change toolpost, AND $550 left over to put towards tooling.

That's only one possibilty.

evjenkins

South Bend Lathe

I have a Heavy 10 and a friend has one of the new South Bend toolroom lathes and it is a first class piece of equipment. Materials, fit and finish are flawless. If I could justify the price I would have one sitting in my shop right now. As far as I can tell they have done a good job on keeping the quality to where it always has been.

rherrell

I have a Heavy 10 and a friend has one of the new South Bend toolroom lathes and it is a first class piece of equipment. Materials, fit and finish are flawless. If I could justify the price I would have one sitting in my shop right now. As far as I can tell they have done a good job on keeping the quality to where it always has been.

That's what I'm hearing also, Evander. I've been visiting alot of machinist forums and as expected there's alot of negative comments on the new SB lathes, EVEN THOUGH THEY'VE NEVER OPERATED ONE! The comments from those that have are the same as yours, that they're pretty nice.

Rick:
Take a look at the ENCO Co. Jet 9 X 20 bench lathe. $1295.00 Enco #3281929. Just go to google and type in ENCO and it will get you to their site. Type in above number and it should take you there. If you have a problem or questions they have an 800 number.
Don't for one minuite think that the South Bend you are looking at is made in the USA. Probably China.
Hope this helps. Richard Van Hulle, Aiken Pen & Pencil

rherrell

I've looked at all the lathes in this size range and the only one that has at least a 1" spindle bore AND is VS is the SB. I make alot of 1" tool tests and it will be real nice to be able to shove it through the spindle and just have an inch or so exposed.
I know they're made in China but they're made to SB specs, this is not a Sieg machine.

Last edited:

Kaspar

I think it's made in Taiwan, actually. Yes, it is to SB specs. I have seen one of the bigger (much) SB lathes at Grizzly and it is quite drool worthy. They're supposed to have one of those 8x on the floor now, but I haven't been over there in a while.

I don't like the lack of a quick change gear box and the TPI range isn't low enough to to do triple and quadruple start threads. I wonder if there's a way around that, some gear you could get to fix that.

Also, I would need a four indy jaw cam lock chuck, and that looks to be a pricey accessory.

Still, if you wanted to give me one I would not insult you by saying "no."

Top Bottom