What about vintage metal lathes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

So, I have been researching metal lathes. I know the Precision Matthews lathes are great and would love to have one. My question is this:

I don't see much talk about vintage metal lathes except the post in July which was merely dealing with spindle size and chucks. Is there a reason for this? I just have a hard time spending $2300 on a lathe that is made in a foreign country. I just don't see these new lathes running 60 years from now. I don't feel like they are "made that way" anymore.

Am I wrong? Also, I think there is something romantic about using old stuff!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

anthonyd

I also dreamed of owning a Precision Mathews lathe or a nice Grizzly but the cost and the difficulty of moving one of these lathes into my basement was prohibitive. So I started doing some research and found a Mr. Pete video on how to dismantle and reassemble an old Logan, Southbend, or Atlas lathe. I then started checking Kijiji several times a day every day. On my first attempt a missed a beautiful Southbend lathe that was going for $200 (within a few hours of it being posted). I kept trying until a scored a Logan 820 lathe with a quick change gear box which was in very good condition (manufactured in the USA in 1946). The great thing about this lathe was that I was able to take it apart at the sellers house and place it in the back of my Honda CRV in less than 30 minutes. Once I got it home it took me an evening to clean and remove any surface rust. The next day I easily carried each piece down into my basement and reassembled and oiled the lathe. It now works very well. All I have to do is to take apart and clean the three jaw chuck to see if I can increase its accuracy. Logan still supports its old lathes with many new parts. These old lathes can thread from 4 TPI to the 200 range TPI, all with the ease of a quick change gear box. In back gear, my lathe can thread at 30 rpm which is really great for a beginner. However, if you wish to thread metric pitches you will have to buy some expensive gears. Overall I am very happy with the lathe.

Tony

Last edited:

TonyL

I researched many months ago, and, at least in my case, it didn't make sense for me to go that route given my lack of knowledge and experience with any metal lathe. I don't know how to replace parts, find parts, and what a decent one would be other than a few of the old South Bend, Claussen (sp?)etc. models.

After discussing with several family members that are machinist, they told me to go with the PM for what I want to do. I do know folks that have spend less than 2k for an overseas lathe and appear to have a lot of fun and do just find with it.

If you want to discuss my research, send me your number and I will call you.

I wound-up not buying one.

I found these guys very helpful.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/portal/?page=3

These guys (below) are also helpful, but frown about Chinese lathes (and make know bones about it). Much of their feedback came to me in the form of a private message. They are very knowledgeable though.

Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

If I had more time to tinker around, I would get the PM, but again, some folks turn out some really cool things with new metal lathes under a grand.

anthonyd

Funny..Two Tonys responded.

That is funny. The last time I used a metal lathe was in 1975 in high school. Other than that I knew nothing about refurbishing a metal lathe. If you have a limited budget and will to learn new things, buying and refurbishing an old lathe can be a great experience. It was a satisfying and relatively good experience for me.

Tony

stuckinohio

Anthony, I saw the Mr.Pete video and have watched several of them. Good videos!

Tony - I appreciate the advice. I am also ignorant about metal lathes of any age. I am worried about getting one that is worn out. I guess I feel like I can sell the lathe or sell for parts if it really isn't accurate enough or too worn out, as long as I get a good price.

I am at the point now that I want to buy something that has all the features that I may want in the future, which will be way more than I need now. So that means I want power feeds on both axis. It seems like to get power feeds, you have to step up to the HiTorque 8.5x20 in the $1800 range or higher for the Precision Matthews.

I also understand that I will only be using it on a limited basis, so I won't need all that stuff, but I hate buying something I don't want, then having to buy another bigger more expensive one later...

KBs Pensnmore

As you're unsure as to what to look for on a used lathe, find a local machinist, neighbor, friend of a friend what ever and ask them to have a look at it with you, if it costs a carton of liquid currency, it'll be money well spent.

Paul in OKC

Nothing at all wrong with vintage machines. I currently have a 6" Atlas/Clausing with about 20" or so between centers. Very light duty for me, as I am used to the 'big boys' I run at work, but so far have had fun with it. Not done any pen work on it yet. I am also rebuilding a few parts on a Southbend heavy 10 I picked up last year. Heavy, larger bore than I will ever need for pen things (1 3/8), but I like the heavy part. I am in both the Hobby Machinist group and PM. Like Tony said, PM doesn't tolerate Chinese equipment, but otherwise a good group. The hobby group I have found to be mostly friendly, and does not frown on what ever equipment you have and are trying to learn on. I have seen some amazing things made on the little 7x.... machines that in my mind should not be doable. Some times not knowing what you "can't" do is a plus :). Down side of the Atlas is having to change gears to thread or change feed rate, but a minor thing. I do prefer the lathes with a gear box for that. As far as cross feed, not a big deal in my opinion. Facing pen size parts is not an issue. Now if you are facing a large face plate, well..........

Last edited:

stuckinohio

As you're unsure as to what to look for on a used lathe, find a local machinist, neighbor, friend of a friend what ever and ask them to have a look at it with you, if it costs a carton of liquid currency, it'll be money well spent.

Well, fortunately my dad was a machinist for years and still uses a metal lathe almost daily, so he'll be with me for sure! I just don't know if he knows what to look for regarding wear. I know to look for slop/movement in all areas and to look for broken or cracked gears. He will know how to operate the machine, so I think we will be OK, but I am still a little hesitant.

Paul in OKC

Paul. right now I'm trying to get a heavy 10 off Craigslist, but I can't get a response from the seller...
My biggest regret, if I have one, is my want it ruled my decision more than I like :). The guy I bought it from was basically a farmer and used it to repair stuff. The bed is worn pretty good. Only thing is the wear is fairly even all the way up and down the ways. I am currently putting the gear box back together after rebushing some of the holes for the shafts, and I made all new shafts for it. I also had the spindle welded and reground at a cam shaft shop. More than I wanted to do, as I like to run machines, not rebuild them. But I am in it this far, so......

stuckinohio

Want/obsession is a huge factor for me.! Most likely I won't be able to find a heavy 10 or a 9" model A for the price I want, but I'll keep looking. You never know...

mecompco

I've had a lot of fun with my late 40's/early 50's era Craftsman 12x36. For super precision work, I'd want something a little newer, but I have made my own bushings and other small projects. Now I mostly use it for drilling, squaring, sanding and as a pen press. If you do but a used lathe, get as much tooling as you can as you can end up spending more on that than the lathe itself. If you're looking at Atlas/Clausing (who made the Craftsmans) I would look at ones a bit newer than mine. In the early 50's they switched to roller bearings from the old babbitt bearings like mine has (you have to keep it well oiled). I'd also make sure it has the back gears and the power advance is nice.

Regards,
Michael

Even though I'm new to the forum I have been using a 9" SB from the 40's and a 13" SB from the 50's...as you can tell I like south bend. They are easy to rebuild if needed but as long as they spin and there is minimal wear on the ways they are a 0.001" to 0.002" accurate machine. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I even did a complete rebuild on my 9".

stuckinohio

Even though I'm new to the forum I have been using a 9" SB from the 40's and a 13" SB from the 50's...as you can tell I like south bend. They are easy to rebuild if needed but as long as they spin and there is minimal wear on the ways they are a 0.001" to 0.002" accurate machine. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I even did a complete rebuild on my 9".

Good to know!

Top Bottom