Welcome to the Metal Lathe Forum!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The purpose of the Metal Lathe Forum is to encourage discussions about metal lathes in general and their many possible uses in the production of pens and pen parts.

We are fortunate to have amongst us several members with many years experience running lathes in machine shops who are willing to share their knowledge. Like any machine, the metal lathe presents a unique set of problems and challenges, and there is nothing like the voice of experience to guide us along.

So, whether you're trying to learn the basics of running a metal lathe, overcome some of the day-to-day problems and challenges presented by the machine, or wondering which lathe is right for you, jump in the discussion.

If you're one of those experienced with the metal lathe, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

So here goes the first post. I'm dead set on getting one, just don't want to waste money on one that I'll be up trading, but at the same time I have limited space for one so too big, will not work either. Suggestions please.
Make that the second post:biggrin: Chris got me by a couple of minutes

Last edited:

cwolfs69

thanks Jeff for the new forum. looking forward to helping some of the guys new to metal lathes to get up to speed. i know they sure have helped me with the pen making techniques. so lets get get going.

cwolfs69

so, Roy, in regards what to buy for a lathe. going to take a little time off forum and work on some thoughts. ill compose them and get back so i don't spend a lot of time rambling on here. ill post a little later with some views and comments to hopefully help others in the same position.

penmaker56

Roy, speaking as one who has an old 10" Seig and is too cheap to get a bigger one, get one thats longer and either has true metric threading or can be converted to metric. All pen parts are metric; the fractional equivalents to metric threading have a percentage of error, that I found makes screwing in the parts too tight. Just my two cents.

Jeff, thanks for the forum!

RHossack

Roy, speaking as one who has an old 10" Seig and is too cheap to get a bigger one, get one thats longer and either has true metric threading or can be converted to metric. All pen parts are metric; the fractional equivalents to metric threading have a percentage of error, that I found makes screwing in the parts too tight. Just my two cents.
I was under the impression that all the 7X variants (except Micro-Mark) that the dials advance in 1mm increments ... but what do I know.

xxShadowxx

when does the PR, corian, alumilite, jawbone, snakeskin, and wood lathe forums get made?:biggrin:

penmaker56

I was under the impression that all the 7X variants (except Micro-Mark) that the dials advance in 1mm increments ... but what do I know.

Yes, but the lead screw is fractional, so all threads are fractional, the lead screw must be changed to metric on Seig 7" x X" lathes. The dial markings advance the slides in fractional or millimeters, but has nothing to do with the lead screw threading.

OOPS

I was talking to a friend about a metal lathe and they suggested the Proxxon PD 230/E. I have heard that in general, Proxxon makes good quality products, but I can't seem to find any information or reviews on this product. Does anyone know the pros and cons of buying this lathe?

bluwolf

I was talking to a friend about a metal lathe and they suggested the Proxxon PD 230/E. I have heard that in general, Proxxon makes good quality products, but I can't seem to find any information or reviews on this product. Does anyone know the pros and cons of buying this lathe?

Did you try a Google search? I just put in Proxxon PD 230 and came up with a bunch of hits. The first one was the Proxxon page for the lathe. I saw a few Youtube reviews but didn't check them out.

The lathe seems to be a decent quality but very small, maybe smaller than the Sherline. Only 9" between centers and only a tick over an inch of swing over the crosslide, that's not much. And, like the Sherline it looks like you'll be stuck buying a lot of proprietary tooling from them.

If you read Mike Redburn's review of his Sherline you'll see that even he doesn't recommend it to others. He's spent an incredible amount of time and effort getting them to do what he wants. But even he would like to have a larger lathe.

Oh, and it's not cheap. I saw where you can get it from Sears (probably special order) for $1625. You could buy a good bit more lathe for that kind of money and you haven't even tooled it up yet.

spilperson

bluwolf said:
Oh, and it's not cheap. I saw where you can get it from Sears (probably special order) for $1625. You could buy a good bit more lathe for that kind of money and you haven't even tooled it up yet.

Holy smokes! Please don't spend that much on a small lathe. As the man says, you can get a lot more lathe for that or a bit more, or a small lathe for a lot less. I am sure it is good quality...but so are a lot of the less expensive ones.

But at the end of the day, just get what makes you happy. That's what I always wind up doing, usually after putting way too much effort into justifying it to myself!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
First, welcome to the forum. You will eventually learn how to navigate around this place. To start a new thread and, post your question, you would click on the FORUMS in the bar on the front page. It will drop down a list of the different forums. Select METAL LATHES. It will open up. Then to start a thread with your question, click on the button at the upper left hand corner of the blue bar that says, NEW THREAD.

There is a tool rest that attaches to the ways on your metal lathe. I believe Little machine shop .com sells them. Good luck.

PenPal

My HERCUS US equivalent SOUTH BEND Metal Lathe.

With the numerous chucks, attachments, Collets etc it fits my fingers well, I have had it for over 20 yrs now a valuable part of my workshop, made in the 1960,s it does everything I require and then some.

I use two dedicated Taig Lathes as well they lend themselves to a variety of uses.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• Hercus and Dremel 6-27-2008 11-46-42 AM 899x750.jpg
    Hercus and Dremel 6-27-2008 11-46-42 AM 899x750.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 508
Top Bottom