Waste so much time ejecting and swapping tail stock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Since my metal lathe doesn't have a through hole in the tail stock for a knock out bar, I feel like I spend at least half of the time making anything on just swapping out tail stock components.

Drill chuck, die holder and live center. I'm constantly changing out between these 3 and it drives me absolutely bat crap crazy.

Is there any way to setup a quick eject or a usable turret system on a 7x16?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurtleTom

Since my metal lathe doesn't have a through hole in the tail stock for a knock out bar, I feel like I spend at least half of the time making anything on just swapping out tail stock components.

Drill chuck, die holder and live center. I'm constantly changing out between these 3 and it drives me absolutely bat crap crazy.

Is there any way to setup a quick eject or a usable turret system on a 7x16?
I take it you are having trouble removing the tool from the tailstock, and retracting the sleeve all the way back into the tailstock to eject the tool is what's taking so long. I'm assuming this since you didn't say. I have a couple of different widths bar stock close to the tailstock and I use one of these between the tool and the tailstock, laying on the sleeve, while I retract the tool into it, forcibly ejecting the tool from the spindle. I also drilled and threaded another handle into the wheel of the tailstock so that I can use a small bar as a lever to eject the hard ones.
I've run turret lathes, some of them pretty big, but I can't imagine finding a system for a 7" lathe. But if anybody made one, I'm sure Clausing did.

Carl Fisher

Nope, everything ejects fine. I'm talking about the time it takes to constantly have to retract the tail stock to eject one tool to swap to a new tool and extend out again. Compounded by the fact that each of the tools eject at different points so sometimes I have to retract completely to eject the die holder and then advance out about an inch to get the drill chuck to seat properly, etc...

I swap tail stock accessories a LOT.

TurtleTom

Carl Fisher

So how do you mount tooling in one of those? Most tail stock accessories are an MT of some flavor. How would those adapt to mounting in a turret?

For example the arbor for a die holder or a live center?

Paul in OKC

So how do you mount tooling in one of those? Most tail stock accessories are an MT of some flavor. How would those adapt to mounting in a turret?

For example the arbor for a die holder or a live center?

You pretty much would have to make drill holders yourself, or have the made. Some 5/8" diameter mild steel makes great holders. Drill the stock for the drill, or center drill size, then drill and tap for a set screw to hold the bit in. Can make one for all the drills you use.Live center would've the toughest. Probably be best to remove the turret and use the MT center direct in the tail stock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom