Vibratory Tumbler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am trying to determine if the tumbler is worth it or if I should just leave it on the shelf. About a year ago I purchased the 5lb vibratory tumbler form HF along with some fine ground walnut shells. Having never used one I wasn't sure what I was getting into or what it would actually do. After it sat unopened for a year I figured it was time to get it out of the box. The questions I have are;

Will the tumbler remove fine tool marks?
What types of media are best for aluminum?
Is it a waste of time?

I put a few scrap pieces of aluminum and brass in the tumbler a few days ago. Some of the parts were finished and the other were at different stages of turning and sanding. I let it run for about 4 hours and I didn't notice a big difference in the before and after. I just don't know what to expect with the process!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Creds: I sold vibratory finishers and job shop services for them for many years. The old stone polishers were just a slower way to do what your machine will do. The most common "media" (that's the stone or plastic preshaped material that carries the abrasive) is a plastic cone or other plastic shape that will access the parts of the metal you want to finish.

Tumbling Media | Deburring Media | Vibratory Finishing Media

The media is placed in the vibrator with the parts to be finished. A "compound" is used that amounts to a low suds detergent that will keep the parts from being smudged or the preshaped media from loading up with metal fines. Now water is added to make a slurry and then you can turn on the vibratory finisher.
It's quite effective, slow, but effective. There is a lot more to it but trial and error is part of the process too.

An Overivew of Vibratory and Blasting Finishing Processes - YouTube
WB

Thanks to the both of you for the great information. I dropped a couple pieces in the tumbler last night and this morning they had a nice polish to them. The tumbler I have specifically says don't use water or liquid so I will have to find a dry process or break the rules in the directions. I am going to get a couple different grits of ceramic media and test them out as well. The tumbler does take a bit longer, but you can do other things while the parts are working. On the parts I put in yesterday I did notice the threads work much more smoothly then before they went in.

Thanks again and it's on to do a little more "trial and error"!

Chasper

You put pen kit components in your tumbler? No damage to the plating? Was it metal or plastic threads that now operate smoother?

I wouldn't have thought of doing that, but I'm going to try a few parts tonight.

I didn't put any kit parts in so be wary of the plating. Most of the parts I turn are aluminum or brass (no plating). The parts I put in were aluminum so I guess the walnut shells deburred the threads a bit. Still using scrap parts to get a feel for the process.

You put pen kit components in your tumbler? No damage to the plating? Was it metal or plastic threads that now operate smoother?

I wouldn't have thought of doing that, but I'm going to try a few parts tonight.

jsolie

I've used crushed corn cob pet bedding in my tumbler, but I've never tumbled pen parts or things with threads. I've been happy with what this media can do on some really dirty .45 brass... The corn cob seems to be a bit gentler than walnut. I would use walnut as a first pass for several hours , then follow up with a few hours in the corn. Quit using the walnut because of the dust.

sammy1947

I tumble rocks also. if you don't like your results let me know I need a vibrating tumbler. thank you

Top Bottom